Questions About Tunisian Stitches

Has anyone here ever usedTunisian stitches when making an item?? I tried doing a couple of practice stitches on a regular hook using yarn and it seemed pretty easy to pick up. I now need to go get a tricot needle. Would they sell something like that at WalMart?? I would like to make an afghan using Tunisian stitches. Thanks.

MJ :U

I have never seen a Tunisian hook at WalMart or even Michaels. I did buy one at JoAnn's, and they only had the one size. I have yet to try it out, though.

Have you looked at Kim Guzman's website? She's taught free online Tunisian classes several times and I believe they're all archived for easy access:

http://kimguzman.bravejournal.com/

Scroll down a bit; it's on the left side.

I saw a 10-inch Tunisian hook (size G) at Joann's, and Michael's had one 10-inch Tunisian hook (size G) as well. I was looking for a small one this weekend because I wanted to make something with cotton, and one LYS had only 1 really large, short hook and the other LYS had a 22-inch one in 4 mm (plastic end like circulsr knitting needles). I had a 14-inch aluminum straight 4 mm already, but bought it anyway because I want to buy Kim's Tunisian baby blanket book and I figure her patterns would probably use a longer hook. I've been teaching myself Tunisian the past 2 weeks, and I agree, it's so much easier than it looks. I have the simple stitch and the knit stitch down, but not the purl yet. I'm making a swap partner something out of Tunisian stitch, so I can't say anything more, but when she gets it I'll post a photo. I'm enjoying the texture and look of the simple stitch a lot. I think I'm going to buy some foam and then make a cushion for a toy box my cats like to sleep on this summer (right now there's just an old pillow there, but it needs something nicer). Patty

Herrschners has 10 and 14" straight tunisian hooks from F to K.

There's also the Annie's Attic Easy Tunisian which goes from L to P I believe.

Archived