What patterns do you look for?

Tracey4610

Every couple of months or so, something new strikes my fancy. Perhaps a concept, or perhaps a genre of patterns. Last year, it was any and all baby items. The more unusual, the better. Toward the end of the year, it was unique wearables (see the Sock Monkey Hat Challenge in the CAL pages!). I was in a bit of a flux during January, mostly seeking out doily patterns to see what else can be made with them. As of last week, I now have a new search of interest: Vintage bags. Oh, not just any kind of vintage bag pattern, but the unusual ones, especially the Victorian and turn-of-the-century thread purses. I'm studying their designs, the shapes, the motifs, and what makes each individual bag unique.

How about you? What types of patterns are you "into" right now? What motivates you to find these patterns (i.e., new babies coming, change of season, new technique "discovered" like Tunisian or overlay, exploring thread, etc.)? Out of all these patterns, what is your favorite?

If this is too thought-provoking and you'd like to journal it (like I sometimes do), feel free to post on your blog, so you have more time to think about it, and post here to let us know that's what you did. I'm just curious to see what makes others "tick" when they're creating.

Hmm, I'm always "into" purses, but right now, I'm into dishcloths. I got started b/c of the Spring Swap, but now I'm just making tons of them for the house and for friends and stuff. They are so fun and quick to make. And useful, too!

Though it took some convincing to get Mom to actually use them.

Hmmm. I look for anything useful for someone, but done in an interesting way. Cute blankets, afghans, whatever, sweaters, etc. Can't get into the decoration things - I come from a long line of crocheters and I'm thoroughly sick of freaky crocheted objects! LOL More power to ya if ya can design, create, and display it, I love to look at it, but I'm not gonna put my time into it and I'm not gonna actually want it in my house! (Said firmly by the woman who could, until a couple years ago, access crocheted Easter, Xmas, Halloween, and Thanksgiving decs out the wazoo!)

I'm more of a stitch pattern type. I like to see the news ways people combine stitches to make designs.. I love shell patterns. For a while it was edgings, but I'm not good at the really fine (as in less that size 10) thread work. :yarn

I think that the hunt for a pattern is almost as good as the finished product. I like making toys most of all. But right now I am enjoying the afghans. Small ones though. Either baby blanket size or throw size. I just started one last Friday, and I'm more than half way done. It's going much better than my last one. This is only my second one to do with some kind of a design to it. The first two crochet items I ever made were a baby blanket and a throw for my kids two years ago. I did them in a dc all the way. I guess that's the best way to start. At least it helped me get the tension right and practice changing yarn. I don't really count them though. So my real first blanket is here. I will post my second one when it's done.

Archived