My Favorite New $1.50 Hat

missamorphosis

Joann's had some of their yarn clearanced to just 75 cents a skein, so I bought the only two of this particular one they had left. It's from their own Sensations Bellezza Collection, called Smania, which is now discontinued. It's a great 65% cotton/35% nylon blend that was easy to work with. At the time I bought it, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, then decided it would make a good hat. I looked at many patterns--even thought about writing one on my own--but having less than 4-ounces of yarn, I was a little limited. Then I ran across this pattern in 24-hour Crochet Projects by Rita Weiss. I love how it turned out; I'd been wanting to make one where the brim rolled up and with this yarn, this one does just that. It is now my official favorite hat. It's light-weight and colorful--just in time for spring!

395806833_3dce5d2cd0_m.jpg395806638_3de7e68016_m.jpg

395806595_d808fcf3d7_m.jpg395806871_dd98e0e942_m.jpg

395806710_42a414b698_m.jpg395806550_000c929749_m.jpg

My SO said it looks like a lamp shade in the last picture of me with it on...lol.

:heehee

I haven't figured out how to link pictures back to my

Flickr account yet, but click on the link if you want to see the larger pictures. Cool hat, huh?

:cheer Here is a good way to make a rolled brim without even trying.

Just double the yarn when you get to that part and you get a fabulous brim, without increasing. If you make it long enough, it will roll.

Pretty hat, pretty colour, great model, not sure about the lampshade.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Ooooh... I have a bunch of that yarn in several different color combos! I made some beanies with it. I really liked how it was kinda stretchy. The color you used reminds my kids of fruit loops cereal. Now I know what else I can make with what I have left! :cheer

Thanks, everyone!

Aggie May, thanks for the rolled brim tip!

mellowe67 ~ I wish I had more of it. I really liked how it worked and how well the hat turned out. I have to agree with your kids. If I was to name the hat, I would've called it "Tutti-Frutti"...lol.

laurastar0962 ~ I've never thought I look good in hats, but I really like the things, so I've finally thrown that notion to the wind and wear them anyway. Be a rebel. It's so much more fun. :sheepjump

Archived