Making your own crochet hooks...

Does anyone know of any books that go through the steps to making your own crochet hooks? It's something I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to learn. I can't find any tutorials on-line. I went to ask.com and it kept sending me to Jimbo's blog, :lol Although I got some tips there, where he posted to work it down a size bigger than you want, then sand it down,and do the tip. But how do you know how big the tip would need to be? Anyway, if someone knows of a book or a site that I can't find I'd appreciate it.

I just made 4 double hooks last Sunday. I wanted to do a crochet on the double project and did not have the $16.00 for the hooks. So necessity was the mother of invention. Like you I could not find any info on the net so I went for it.

I bought wood dowels at Wal-Mart the size around that I needed for my hook. To make the hook I got out one of my crochet hooks and followed it.

The first one I made did not turn out right, however I did learn from it.

You will need:

Carving knife, I used a kitchen paring knife that was sharp

Hack saw

Sand paper in different grits, 220 is best to finish with

1. Starting about 1 inch from the end of the dowel, cut half way through the dowel, this is where the hook will dip in.

2. With knife carve away the wood, starting at handle side down to tip, where you have cut in the prior step.

3. Stand hook up on table, or in a vice, with Hack saw against angle that you carved in step before. Saw down approximately 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

SHAPING FOR HOOK TIP

4. Make angle cut with Hack saw over hook tip.

5. Carve other side of tip

6. Angle the sides of hook tip to tapper.

7. Sand in finishing shape and get all bumps out.

smallhook1.jpgsmallhook.jpg

This is a picture of both ends of one of my hooks. They do not come out the same, but still work.

Your question on how do you know how big to make the hook?

The size of the hook does not matter, as long as the diameter of the handle is the size that you want your stitches to come out. The hook end just pulls the yarn through the loop.

I hope you understand this.

Lynda

While browsing the weblinks, I think I saw something about making your own hooks on a site called serendipity crochet, I think. I didn't think to save it since I hadn't read your post before then ...

Lynda thank-you so much for the information!!! Highly appreciated. I was gonna use my susan bates hooks as a model and just got for it as well. :lol I saw on a site about classes taught at a cgoa convention I think a list of supplies used in a class teaching how to do crochet hooks, so I had the dowels in mind.

Again :ty for the info of your experience for me to draw from. :hug

dniece: crochet on the double is a way to make reversible projects. the crochet hook as a hook on both ends, you use two strands at a time, but only one at a time, it is similar to knitting in the fact that you keep stitches on the hook, but then work them off the hook. Hard to explain, I've done a couple dishcloths with this method, but haven't explored it much beyond that

Hey there dniece!

You might want to check out this wonderful "tutorial" that is on one of our own Crochetville members websites!! He is certainly accomplished in his handiwork and craft!!! I have been admiring the nice hooks he has made and displayed there but his link he shows you from start to finish the whole process on a larger sized hook! I had a young boy make me a little hook and he had quite a time with it - I am going to share the link with him as well - as I think doing a larger one to start would be better! Like Jimbo this young lad made the hook all by hand - no power tools!!! Just whittling, and lots of sanding - and a few bandaids I am sure! :)

Clik here

http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

ty shuttlebuggy, all the sites I went to that pointed to JIMBOS blog, never pointed me to that post, lol. But now I have it bookmarked. I love his hooks, I think he does such a fantastic job!!

Hay Jady... sorry i din't mention much about hook sizing in the blog thing. Here's what you do. You get yourself a Susan Bates gauge (they're cheap) and as you shape the shank of the hook (before you carve the tip), slip the gauge over it from time to time to check till the size is right. Then whittle the hook tip... starting with the point. The notch defines the hook head. Space it back from the point by a distance about one and a half times the hook diameter. How's that?

g'luck

jimbo

Jimbo -

Your hooks are really great and the blog/tutorial I am so excited to pass along to the guy I mentioned in the above post!

I hope someday to bid on one of those nice hooks - and enjoy your new cabin! I too have a wooded place (not as much acreage as you though) with a river on the back end and a beaver lake out the front! It is so nice and brings such peace to the mind, body and spirit to take it in!

Oh that would be just about the coolest thing in the world, to make your own crochet hook!! Maybe I should put on my wish list, 'Personal lessons from Jimbo on how to whittle your own crochet hook' That would be cool.

My Aunt whittles. :think Maybe I could have her give me some tips. :hook

Thanks for the photos and links, Lynda and Shuttlebuggy! I might actually try this someday. :yes

Tina

Archived