Blocking Snowflakes

I've been working on some thread snowflakes as a Christmas gift for my MIL...I've got maybe 10 or 11 done so far.

I haven't blocked snowflakes for years, and just wanted to ask advice on what is the best thing to use. I have used a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water in the past. I'm thinking I should perhaps block these as I go, rather than ending up with 25 or more to block!! :lol

Everything that I've read about blocking snowflakes said exactly what you wrote. Glue & water.

I totally agree with blocking them as you go, though... can you IMAGINE having to block 20+ snowflakes at once? YIKES!!!:eek

I don't know, if you block them all at once, you only have to get your hands "gunky" once :U I have a board that just has the same design over and over on it on one side, and then I covered in saran wrap and went to town.

Yes, it was a pain in the patushka to block them all at once, but if I have to come back and do it again and again, I may never do it! (but that's clearly just me!)

I have never used glue and water; I always use Aileen's stiffener (but it's basically glue!), with or without water.

I don't know what type of glue you use, but Elmer's School tends to yellow after a few years (at least in my experience). Good luck!

I don't know what type of glue you use, but Elmer's School tends to yellow after a few years (at least in my experience).

This happened to mine too.

Have you tried to re-wet them and starch them with something else to see if the yellowing washes away with the glue? I'm just curious if this will work.

I always use a bowl of starch. I soak the snowflakes in the starch and then squeeze the excess starch out in a towel and then block them on a board. I usually block mine all at the same time. I don't particularly enjoy the blocking aspect of thread and so I tend to want to get it over and done with. I have a large piece of foam core board that I block on so I can fit a large amount of snowflakes on it at once.

Archived