Air travel and crochet

OK, we are actually going to take a trip!! :clap A real trip, on an airplane! :cheer But I need to know, can I take my crochet hooks along?? I got to wondering about this, I need to have something to do on the plane, but will they confiscate my hooks?? :yarn:think

I'm sure there are other threads on this... The answer is: yes... and no.

If you go to the TSA's website, it says that crochet hooks and knitting needles are ok. But the ultimate decision is up to the screener at the airport. I took my hooks with me on to El Paso, and no one said anything about it... but I've heard some people get told no way and have to leave their hooks behind.

I would recommend taking plastic hooks that arent very important to you, in case they do get confiscated. I'd also pack an extra set in your checked luggage so youll have some way of working on your project when you get to your destination. Also, NO scissors. Take either a yarn cutter pendant (available through clover-usa.com) or nail clippers.

Thats my two cents! And have fun!

I've traveled with my hooks a ton. Never had anyone bat an eye. I've taken aluminum, plastic, and wooden hooks. You can also take small scissors with blunt tips (the kids ones) - or at least, I was able to. It was an accident the first time and I would have understood if they'd been confiscated, but they just looked at them and said they were fine.

I've also flown with my crochet hooks. You might want to take just the one or two that you need for your project, and pack any others in your luggage. I actually went over to the TSA guy before I gave my checked in luggage and asked if it was OK, and he said it was.

Joan

If you go to your airline's website, there should be a page that tells what you can and cannot bring onto the airplane. I know, for example, Southwest Airlines lets you bring on crochet hooks and blunt-tipped scissors. They'll also let you bring on nail clippers.

Check with your airline and they'll be able to give you specifics. It's also smart to check so you can make sure you're in compliance with all of the "3 oz. liquid" rules, etc.

I just flew this past weekend with the terror level at Orange and had no problems taking two hooks in my purse. I would recommend that you take cheap plastic ones in case they do get picky and take them. Have fun!

I just flew home from Florida this past week, and no one said a word about my crochet hooks. I had them in a carry on bag, along with my WIP, and it went right through the x-ray, they didn't even open the bag up and look.

I've actually flown several times with my needlework, only at one airport have the security people actually opened the bag up, but told me it was no problem, I crocheted most of the way to Alaska last summer, it was great.

The yarn cutter pendant is a great idea and there are some really pretty ones. I know they carry them in hobby Lobby for about $8 and this week they have the 40% off any one item coupon that you can print from their website. I also took my plastic hooks only and had no problems. Enjoy your trip!:hook

If you go to your airline's website, there should be a page that tells what you can and cannot bring onto the airplane. I know, for example, Southwest Airlines lets you bring on crochet hooks and blunt-tipped scissors. They'll also let you bring on nail clippers.

Check with your airline and they'll be able to give you specifics. It's also smart to check so you can make sure you're in compliance with all of the "3 oz. liquid" rules, etc.

Great news, as we are flying on Southwest!

I have flown a lot for business in the past year. I haven't had anyone say anything about my crochet hooks. But remember: The TSA can confiscate anything they please, anytime they want. And there's little you can do about it. So take crochet hooks you don't really care about, or take a self-addressed stamped envelope so you can mail it back to yourself if they want to confiscate it.

Also, the day you fly, check the TSA website to see if crochet hooks are still allowed. Print it out and take it with you, so you can show it to them if they question it. It may or may not help, because, as I said before, they can confiscate whatever they want; they dont' have to abide by the list. Here's the website (scroll down to "Makeup & Personal Items"):

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Good luck. And have fun!

you can go here and down load the list of items you can take on a plane knitting needles and crochet hooks are ok also small scissors under 3 inches are ok I have never taken anyones knitting needles or crochet hooks away. I have fun talking to passengers that knit and crochet and have gotten many ideas from them also I have given many the kink to the 'ville so that they can join.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I travel by air a lot for work and always take my stuff. Here's the official website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm for what you can and cannot bring. I always print a copy from this web page to take with me because the rules change. A couple of years ago you couldn't take scissors, but now it's okay. When I go through security, I have all of my implements in a separate ziplock bag, clearly visible, and I take the plastic bag out of my knitting bag so that it is easily seen and scanned. No problems.

"Knitting and crochet needles" are placed in the Personal Items section and are approved carry-ons. (Yes, I know they are crochet hooks, but I don't want the TSA to review this section!)

I have taken size 8 knitting needles on board (!) and had another passenger tell me when we got off the plane that she felt comforted by the fact that a fellow passenger was 'armed.'

I travel by air a lot for work and always take my stuff. Here's the official website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm for what you can and cannot bring. I always print a copy from this web page to take with me because the rules change. A couple of years ago you couldn't take scissors, but now it's okay. When I go through security, I have all of my implements in a separate ziplock bag, clearly visible, and I take the plastic bag out of my knitting bag so that it is easily seen and scanned. No problems.

"Knitting and crochet needles" are placed in the Personal Items section and are approved carry-ons. (Yes, I know they are crochet hooks, but I don't want the TSA to review this section!)

I have taken size 8 knitting needles on board (!) and had another passenger tell me when we got off the plane that she felt comforted by the fact that a fellow passenger was 'armed.'

:lol :lol

Archived