Best thread to use?

silverhappygirl

Greetings! I enjoy doing thread crochet- but often not happy with the look of my finished projects :(. I usually use a Clover hook- which I like but, I think part of my problem is due to the thread I use. Seems like the stores I go to, don't have quality thread. What thread and hooks do you all find to work well?? I'm not giving up- any help appreciated!

i recently used DMC Babylo in size 10 and loved it! I use an el-cheapo hook someone gave me (1.5mm) and am not having any problems. I have also recently used Aunt Lydias size 10 and it is a bit stiffer but I did enjoy working it. I also use Twilleys size 20 which i don't mind, I do find it has a tendency to twist up as I work it, I find that very annoying! I know there is another size 20 I use but I can't think of the brand and it is pretty much the same as the Twilleys. We're all different, the best I can suggest is just trial and error until you find one you like

Hi, I like DMC Cebelia, it is easy to work with, tight, soft, and has a wonderful sheen. It comes in sizes 10, 20, and 30 in many colors. You can find it at Hobby Lobby, Micheals, and sometimes at Wal-Mart. You can also find it online at Herrschnerrs and at Country Yarns (this is where I order mine, she has the best price on Cebelia). I also use Aunt Lydias for colors that don't come in the Cebelia. I hope this helps you.

CalicoCarolAnn

I love Grandma's Best but it's being discontinued, so nowadays, I use mostly Royale or Aunt Lydia's. In my experience, stiffness depends on the color. Some are soft, other aren't. And some are softer in the Royale, others in the Aunt Lydia's. It's mostly trial and error.

My favorite threads are the DMC threads, DMC Cordonnet ( 6 cord ) for making something special, It only comes in white or ecru though. DMC Cebelia ( 3 cord ) for when I want color.

I also like the Opera thread it has a good feel to it and works up well. Manuela and Anchor threads are nice threads also. I hear the Valdi thread is nice too, but haven't used it personally yet. I will use the Coats and Clarks threads if they have the color I really need and I am working in size 10 thread, though not normally my first choice.

Best cotton thread I've ever used is Clea by Circulo. It's a wonderfully drapey size 10 and comes in tons of fantastic colours that I've not seen available in any other threads. It's soft, slightly shiney, and very smooth to work with. I'd highly recommend it for doilies, but especially for any clothing made from thread!

Hi all,

I use Turkish threads in size 30 and sell them too. Brands are ALTIN BASAK and OREN BAYAN

Both of them are very soft has many vibrant and soft colors. They have more yardage (20 gr, 276 yards), 3 cord, makes beautiful work.

I use Royal in size 10.

Most of the time hook is very important, hook,stich making (loose, tight) style and thread should have good harmony for good outcome.

It sounds like I know this things, I only know how I am doing it may be different for each crocheter(s).

Demet

I'm with Brae! I love the Clea by Circulo. It runs about $8-$9 Cdn BUT there is no cardboard in the centre. It is all thread, so the price is worth it.

I love doing doilies, fashion doll clothes and little dolls with it, it is soft and manageable. For stiffened items, though, I use good old Southmaid.

Sally

Archived