Has anyone ever used Bernat Cool Crochet?

I'm thinking of buying Bernat Cool Crochet online for the Stitch Diva Butterfly Wrap. It calls for 1600 yards dk/sport yarn but I need something a bit thinner and definitely light b/c of the massive yardage.

How is to work with; how well does it drape; is it pretty light (seemed so from the yardage/weight); and does it have any stretch at all? And is it soft enough for next to skin wear?

Thank you!

I haven't used it, but my JoAnn's carries it and I have looked at it.

It felt soft in my hand and it has a very shiny sheen to it.

Thank you all. I also found another thread on this yarn under shopping strip/yarn talk (I didn't realize the index scrolled down that far--this forum is huge!!). I'll try to see if the local JoAnn's has it; if not, I'll have to order online.

I have used it on 2 projects...Pepe Patricia Skirt and Victorias Secret Skirt.

I very much like working with this yarn. It is not like Sugar 'n Cream at all.

It is thinner and has a shimmer to it. I am going to be making a summer top with it...someday:hook !!!

I used it for the VS skirt. It's very lovely yarn, doesn't split at all. The composition is 70% cotton, 30% nylon so it's soft and has a nice sheen. The yarn is very light and doesn't feel like Sugar and Cream at all. Although the skein may look small, it has 200 yards of yarn so it takes a while to finish one skein. I really like this yarn but Joann's or Michael's near my place don't carry them.

I think you should give it a try. I use size 3.5mm hook for my skirt and used 4.5 balls of yarn.:hook

Thanks for the tips on Cool Crochet -- I'm resolved to start using sport and fingering weight yarns for wearables because I'm really getting annoyed with even the bulk of worsted.

FWIW, you can get a bag of three skeins of Bernat Cool Crochet for $9 at Discount Yarn Sale, and for 3.27 each at Herrschners.

Can anyone compare Bernat Cool Crochet to Red Heart Lustersheen, another sportweight synthetic that I hear is really nice but have not seen because it is not carried in my Michael's, Beverly's, or Jo-Ann's? (Many of them stock it online but at full price.)

I think I'll need to take the plunge and buy one or the other sight unseen. Any tips?

Thanks,

Elissa

Thanks for the tips on Cool Crochet -- I'm resolved to start using sport and fingering weight yarns for wearables because I'm really getting annoyed with even the bulk of worsted.

(snip)

Me too! I find crocheted worsted yarn too bulky to wear. Of course, once I get down to fingering/lace weight it takes so long I feel like I might as well knit with worsted. Well, not quite, it's still faster than knitting. :hook

I think the lustersheen is thinner than the cool crochet. I am almost positive. I have used lustersheen before though and loved it. Right now I am using it for preemie hats to send off that is how soft it is.

Archived