Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

I was thinking about doing my 8point Round Ripple next. I'm about to add an extra 8 points to it. It's so huge that the spaces between the points are just too big. Cross your fingers and wish me luck - I'm being creative!!!!!!!!! I'll post a pic as soon as I get this part finished.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I was thinking! Or are there too many round ripple ghan CALS out there already?

Or when we're ready to do the next one we could take a vote - see what people want to make. We could even pick somebody else's pattern if we LOVE it. I have lots of ideas - I'm a Gemini LOL.

**********progress report**********

I started my with yarndiva's starghan pattern but the ends were coming out too elongated so I ended up doing a round ripple pattern instead. Then I saw a pic of an old ghan with extra points added in and thought - WOW that's perfect! Then I remembered that my Grandmother had made me a baby blanket (Mom has it in her cedar chest - the 33 yr old yarn just didn't hold up) that was a ripple with granny blocks in the center.

The Caron orange is a really thick WW. I've been trying to do a tight stitch so that it doesn't bubble up and my hands ACHE!!!!! Time to fire up the parafin machine for my poor hands!

Hubby's suggestion for my next ghan is to use 3-4 colors. Anybody got a suggestion for how to use 3 or 4 colors and keep the flannel look? I can't picture the color pattern in my mind. :think He's saying use black, white, and another color or 2....so if I used 3 colors, then I'd have 6 colors of squares...for example, if I used black, white, and red....I'd have squares of black, white, red, black/white, red/white, and black/red. WHAT?? :think

I was thinking about doing amber's with black and red with a row of white sc between and going around the strips in a sc round. that would still have the plaid look with the white intersecting through it.

Ok I'll join in on this one. I really like the look of this afghan and I want something that will work up quickly to pick up my pride. I am having a very hard time with a graphghan I am working on and so if I can complete an arghan I will feel really good. I have only been crocheting for about 3 weeks now and I am "hooked" (pun intended!).

I will be making mine in blue and gold (WVU colors). I am actually half way done with the first strip!

Hi Everyone :)

How is everyone doing on their afghan? RoseRed how how are you doing on the star? On my afghan i have 3 pannels sewn together, still have to sew on the 4th one, and i have started on the 5th pannel, but only have two blocks done on it, i am so excited, can't wait to see it done!

WOW - stunning cape!

I can't wait to see everyone's pics!!!!!

I just started the edging on my 16 point round ripple. 1 row of sc and 1 row of crabstitch and it's done YAY!

I've startd calling this "The Monstosity" It's 8 1/2 FEET from point to point!

Rose can you post a close-up picture of your border? I have no idea what a crabstitch is so I would like to see a close-up of yours to determine if I want to do mine that way. I have searched for that stitch and have only found it one place on the internet. It seems fairly self-explanatory except for the part about inserting hook into the previous stitch. Does this mean you are essentially working back the opposite direction that you have been working?

I have 3 strips complete and hope to complete the other two by tomorrow afternoon. I would love to start putting this thing together tomorrow evening. So far I absolutely love it! I will try to post pictures of my progress so far today. I can't believe how quickly this afghan works up!

:ty for the compliments on my cape!

Rose, I can't wait to see your 8-point star afghan. It's turning out HUGE! I hope you won't mind telling us how you made it. I can just see that in bright colors on top of a white bedspread.

I thought I was so clever yesterday when I picked out colors for hubby's flannel ghan. I got turquoise & black...and he said he wants MORE colors in it...and to add some red, orange, etc....so he wants is more like the one I've been doing in soft white rather than a flannel ghan. I don't have any imagination, so it's hard to figure out what he's looking for when he doesn't know either. :heehee My daughter is very artistic and I'm going to get her to help me with this later.

Baricrazi, the crabstitch is the same as reverse sc. You work it like a normal sc, but instead of going into the next stitch, you insert the hook into the stitch before the one you just did. It gives the edge a neat, twisted sort of look. I'm sure RoseRed will post photos....hint hint....subliminal message for RoseRed to post photos....when she's finished. :hook

Here's something I saved,,,it was what taught me to be able to do this stitch

I asked about doing a reverse sc on another website and here's the answer I got.

Author: craftsman (139.102.48.146)

Date: 01-12-2000 15:34

I assume you are trying to do REVERSE SINGLE CROCHET (rev sc), most often used for borders. Regular sc is done right-to-left; if you are working around a border of an afghan, this would be counter-clockwise. Reverse sc is just the opposite: left-to-right, or clockwise around an edge. Here is how to do it:

Insert the hook into the first st to the RIGHT and draw up a loop. (This may cross the loop already on the hook.) Then YO and draw through both loops. Continue by repeating: Insert the hook into the next st to the RIGHT...

It is a little awkward at first. I found it easier if I work somewhat more loosely than normal, that is, draw the first loop up a little higher than normal, so I can more easily do the YO.

The result is a somewhat bumpy edge (not a series of flat chain-like sts as in regular sc). I think it gives a rugged look to the edge, especially good for crocheted mock-Aran or other masculine-design afghans.

Hope these instructions are clear enough for you to try it.

Author: Bea (---.sympatico.ca)

Date: 02-17-02 11:47

Nancy - Reverse single crochet - After reaching the end of the row of single crochet do not turn you work but do a single crochet in the previous single crochet and work backward on the previous row.

Thanks always Craftsman and Bea

:yay This afghan looks like alot of fun gang!!!

Archived