First Doily Finished....question

MsSuzKelly

I Just finished the Crochet-Along Hearts Doily from the Crochet Memories website. It's my first doily! And I must say I did a pretty good job.

Now I need to finish it by blocking and starching. It does not lay flat AT ALL - is this normal? Or did I do something wrong? I am thinking I need to pin it and shape it????

thanks for any adivce!

Suzy

BlockedDoily.jpg

There it is all finished. I am quite pleased with the results. And want to share what I used for blocking. I picked up a pack of 4 square foam pads from Walmart yesterday and pinned it to one of those, then spritzed with a mixture of Sta Flo and Water. Turned out quite nice, no? Now, onto the next doily!!!

There are two recent threads on this topic right in this thread crochet forum. Check out Stiffen a large project, and Help Needed: How to block doilies.

These guys wrote very good instructions for finishing your doily. I just pin mine on cardboard and spray starch them. But these guys have much better ideas, and I will try their methods soon as I finish something. Good luck. And put a picture out for us to see if you can.

That looks really good, but will look even better when blocked. It's amazing what blocking does for a doily. There are lots of methods to do it as stated. You just have to figure out which one works best for you.

Look forward to seeing it again blocked.

So, they usually look like that before blocking??? LOL

I need to get myself some nice rust proof pins! I KNEW I should've picked them up when I was eyeing them at Joann's the last time, but I had no idea I would be doing this at that time.

Well it depends on the doily, but yes, they'll often look pretty bad before blocking. Yours looks pretty good. I'm sure it'll look great when it's blocked.

FYI, I think that hearts CAL is one that's particularly prone to not lying flat until you block it, so don't panic if yours doesn't. Mine didn't lie flat when I made it. It did after I blocked it. :)

Archived