Top Two Crochet Books

Cocoa Cream

Okay, so I have this $25 gift card to borders burning a hole in my pocket, and I want to use it to buy one or two crochet books. But I have virtually no experience with them, as I have virtually no crochet books! So, I need some help to decided which ones to get. I don't really need anything with basics or stitch patterns in them...the two crochet books I actually do own are chaulk full of those. I think I'd prefer something with a wide variety of patterns for garment/accessories...but I'm not sure.

So, give me some input...What are your top two favorite crochet books? (and why?)

Admittedly, it does depend on what you're looking for, as far as what to make. So here's my faves:

Crochet stitches: Crochet Stitch Bible (no projects)

Donna Koolers Encyclopedia of Crochet (stitches and

projects)

Baby: Simple crochet for Cherished Babies

Adorable Crochet for Babies and Toddlers

Beautiful Baby Boutique (baby girl dresses)

General/mix: Crochet for caring and sharing

First Crochet (simple patterns, but very nice ones)

Garments: I have "The Learn to Crochet a Sweater Book" but my fave patterns for garments right now are a few I found through links here at the ville.

My wish list got expanded when I saw the new annies attic catalogue. Crochet on the Edge looks like a definite "to get"

and don't forget the Pattern a Day calendar...that's a fun splurge too...but opinion is divided:several patterns take more than a day, and some can be found online (or have recently been pulled offline)...But I'm enjoying mine.

There. That should give you a few ideas to go on! :P hope I didn't drown you. :lol:hook

Doris Chan!!!!!!!!!!!!

My absolute all time favorite, and I have hundreds of instuction and pattern books, is the new book Doris has out. EVERY pattern is wonderful and simple enough to understand even for a beginner.

Erika Knights (sp?) simple crochet is awesome- easy designs but in unsual materials. Let's you make very classy pieces without technical headaches

I'm not sure. I have a ton of crochet books and love them all. A few aren't available as I've had them forever and haven't bought a new one recently.

Sounds like you got some good ideas.

Maybe go and plan to spend some time and browse and look through the books and see what strikes your fancy. Then let us know so we can maybe buy the same ones... ;) That's what usually works best for me. I do take ideas from others for magazines and books, but sometimes I like other things they may not.

You could also browse the Show and Tell section, some post pics of what they have made from books and that could give you an idea of what you want too...

Sounds like fun. I'd love to do that, maybe I'll have to even without a gift card.

While it doesn't have patterns, I think that the Crochet Answer Book is a Must-Have for any crocheter. And even with all of the errors in it, I do admit that I love the Happy Hooker and have used it more than any other pattern book that I have. The patterns produce such beautiful results, plus, I really appreciate the fact that they give you the information that you need to substitute yarn and they don't try to make you feel bad about it like in some other pattern books (i.e. you really need to use the yarn we're telling you to use because it just won't turn out right otherwise).

I guess it really depends on what *you* like and enjoy making, or could use. But this one is definitely my favorite book. :)

Doris Chan's amazing crochet lace

I dropped a list of *my* main fav's right here if you want to browse the list.

http://astore.amazon.com/mermaidennet-20

Why they're my fav is I just happen to like the stuff within. ;D If you can I highly recommend going by any local bookstore to thumb through some books before you actually purchase. I've only bought about 3-4 books without looking in them first, and for the most part I am pleased, but that's just luck. I thought several books would be great but when I looked at them in-person I found that they were definitely *not* for me!

Thanks for your input, everyone. I have been looking online a bit and trying to narrow it down. I also have noticed that alot of the things I have seen (and really like) on the Ville are from a handful of crochet books. I do like the look of the things in Doris Chan's new book. I also like what I see from the SnB book (but I'd have to make a book cover for that...I'm afraid the title makes me blush and would never do among my conservative family!):blush There are so many choices! And I'm so very indecisive! :scrachin

Mermaiden,

Until I checked out your list, I had totally forgotten about Hip to Crochet. That is a great book too. In fact it's the book that got me back into crocheting again. I love the ripple scarf in there.

I'll have to dig that book out again.

Thanks again for all your ideas! I finally made a decision, though I'll admit, I now have a huge wish list of books I just couldn't afford this time around! :2blush Too bad Christmas is so far away!

Anyway, I chose the 200 Crochet Blocks book, partly because I've seen such beatiful pieces from it here on the 'ville, and because I'm heavily addicted to blankets...just ask my hubby! I think he would say that we're already drowning in blankets :help, and we live in Texas right now and have little use for them! Oh, the irony!

My second purchase was the 2007 Pattern of the Day Calendar. I never even knew such a thing existed until finding the 'ville, so I am intrigued to see what it is like.

Thanks again!

For me, I absolutely adore Cool Crochet by Melissa Leapman and the SnB HH books.

I bought mine on Amazon for roughly $22 (SnB was hardback) & that included shipping!!

I can't wait to make more goodies from these books!

HTH!!

and don't forget on the borders web page they sonetimes have coupons for books. And if you only get a small something you almost always get a coupon on your receipt to use in a week or so. I would go in ther eand get a card or somthing like that and wait til I could use the coupon and get what I wanted. I think you can only use the coupons for one item so just buy one item one time and go back another time and get something else with the new coupon. :) Yep I am THRIFTY......lol.

If you want variety I would say the SnB. You could just put some tape or permanent marker over the wording ya don't like. :D And I adore the patterns in the lace doris chan book. Those would be my picks. :)

Archived