Crochet book

I am going to be getting a crochet stitch encyclopedia.. Does anyone have any recommendations on which one is best? I'm looking to learn new stitches. I know there are lots out there, but which one is best for the money?

Thanks

Mel, I just bought two because I couldn't make up my mind on which I liked better. The Crochet stitch bible, and Donna cook's stitch encylopedia. The encylopedia was the cheaper of the two at 24.95 at barnes and noble.

I like Donna Kooler's Encylopedia of Crochet

It has a wide variety of stitches, plus some nifty projects. It has a section on Tunisian stitches, too, which I've yet to use, but looks useful.

In fact, I'd checked out the Harmony Stitch guides from the library, and while they had more stitches, I found Kooler's book to be more explanatory and it had more useful stitches. The Harmony stitch guides have a ton of stitches, but not so many more that I'd say to get it right off.

I will be getting both of the Harmony stitch guides eventually, but for now, Donna Kooler's book is enough for me.

Another vote here for Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet.

A good idea (which I did too) is to take a few out of the library and see which one you like best before making that final purchase, there's nothing worse than spending money on something that you don't like and therefore won't use.

I have Donna Koolers Book and also the Stitch Bible and love them both. If you have a JoAnn's nearby, you can use their coupons on the books also.

I also have both (addiction admitted) And they're both great. I do like how the stitch bible stays open, easier than Kooler's book. Both explain the stitches well...and the bible one also uses symbols, so you see the stitched sample, symbols, and written out. (I also have a couple of the leisure art (I think) mini books with 19 different sts in them...but those are VERY basic) They also have a few patterns, but rather dated. But to pick between Kooler's encyclopedia and the stitch bible...don't think I could.

I love browsing through them when I started getting a design in my head...sometimes a stitch just calls to you.

Archived