Need Input please on Doilies

Bejae_60

I can not for the life of me use the thread........ Anyways....I'm a Cross Stitcher of 26 years and the other night I sat staring at my floss:think Hrmmmmmmmmmm Can I make a doily with this? All the colors available would just be awesome........:cheer

It washes up, and irons good :cheer

Has anyone done this before???????? And what were the results? Any pix?

Sorry for all the questions...... I'm just so anxious to start one.....

Yes you can use floss to crochet anything you want. So a doily is possible. The six strand floss is equivilent to a size three thread. 2 strands of it equal a size 10 thread.

I have used floss before on small projects. Roses,pincushions, and such but never a full doily. I can't imagine working in all the ends. To me that would be the greatest draw back. I would rather buy a ball of size 3 thread or size 5 thread and not worry about all the short lengths of floss.

Good luck whatever you decide

Is that like embroidery cotton? The terminology had me confused. (lol) I was thinking gee our dental floss comes in white and the occaisional blue or green, and I would never imaging ironing it! Silly me :lol

Here's a thought ...

You could easily find a pattern online for a mile-a-minute afghan and use your floss instead of yarn, and just cut down on the number of repeats until it's just short of the size you'd like your doily. It would also minimize the ends you have to weave in.

Brae

Hello,

I used one strand of cross stich floss to make very tiny flowers in the past. The only thing was I had to use very small hook for it I believe hook size was .60 mm.

Many people makes doilies out of sewing threads too. I think you can use any thread to make small doilies, embelishment, small edges etc. Only thing is these threads needs to be done with small hooks and objects are (outcomes) a lot smaller next on size 10, 20 even 30.

I never tried dental floss, but I think it works for flowers too, would not need to be starched :)

Demet

yes, Bejae,,, I have crochet with embriodery floss. It kinda hard and its not. The hardest part is hiding the ends. You have to use a smaller hook. Other than that I love the color selection. Its great. I made a small collar for a dress I bought that I wanted to change a few things aobut the dress,,but the dress is on the back burner. I did finish the collar part. Its a weird olive green color.

Archived