Joanns going out of business (NY)?

On my way to work this morning (6:30am) I noticed that Joanns had a going out of business sign. 50-70% off. Its not an easy lot to get into on my way home so I have no idea what the sale looks like from a yarnaholics perspective...but...tomorrow morning perhaps I'll make the trek weather dependent. I don't know if its just the local shop (which stinks so it should have gone out of business a long time ago) or state/region/nationwide. I'll let you all know if I get over there in the morning and...I'll let you know if its worthwhile.

:manyheart

oh it can be worth it if they have yarn. when the clearence goes up to 70 % girl your getting a good buy. when the one near me went out of business i bought about total 300..00 and for me that was a great deal, i am reselling the yarn at 30 % off the reg price and making 70%, since i only paid 30% of the value. and it is selling. if you want other things like material they have some awesome deals, i got some denim that had some darling patterns on it and i only paid 59 cents a yard, you had to buy a minimum 2 yard , but heck i just bought the whole bolt, i have enough denim to make my niece and nephew coats, jeans and other things,buttons were a great deal, joanns has alot of things you can check out and if you sew make some awesome deals. wish i lived there i would go to joanns and shop till i dropped

Hi Michelle -

Are you referring to the Newburgh or Mohegan Lake store? (Or is this another one thats closing?) I've heard both of these are closing. I'm in Ct. and there are also rumors about the one in Danbury closing. I wonder what's going on... Can you tell me what other craft stores are over in your area? My husband and I will be relocating in the near future (he just accepted a transfer to Newburgh) and I'm wondering if there's anything other than the AC Moore in Poughkeepsie/Wappingers FAlls.

Thanks

-Jen

Is it just a JoAnn's Fabrics store that's closing? when the ones in my area (central Ohio) closed, that meant that the Etc. stores were being opened nearby. And yes, the sales prices are awesome! The one in Clintonville (near OSU campus) closed three years back so that another store could open...I just wish I had jumped on the knitting needles because at the time, I had no desire to knit (I didn't want to learn until a month later! :oops:bang:sigh). Now I'm kicking myself because I also not only need certain sizes of needles, but I want to learn to tat, etc......

Anyway, jump on the sales when you can!!

Oh, go and buy something for me. I'm trying to be good, even though I just bought TWO afghan book from Joann yesterday at full price! So, if you see any crochet books, grab and put them up on eBay if you don't need them!

Shawnee in Oregon

My Joann's in Wyoming, MI is not what it used to be. I still love their material and holiday stuff. But it has restructured and only has about 50% of what they used to have. I will be very sad to see it go........so much competition out there. There are thing there that I cannot find anywhere else at a decent price.

It must be just your local store... I assume you have a smaller store?

Edit: I was looking at the store locator, and it looks like Newburgh is the closest to you, by your location. Am I right. That looks like a traditional store, by the listing. It looks like the closest current superstore to you is West Nyack!

Maybe you're getting a superstore? I know we're getting a batch of new managers at my store in April (we train them), so there's hope...

Can you tell me what other craft stores are over in your area? My husband and I will be relocating in the near future (he just accepted a transfer to Newburgh) and I'm wondering if there's anything other than the AC Moore in Poughkeepsie/Wappingers FAlls.

Thanks

-Jen

Hello Jen!

I live in Newburgh. There is a Michaels, and also a higher end yarn store in Newburgh itself. I've never been to the Joanns, I usually stick with the Michaels. There is also a Wal-Mart and Target where you can sometimes find a good deal on yarn. I also belong to an SnB group that meets just outside of Newburgh in Fishkill, NY. If you'd like to know more about the Newburgh area, feel free to PM me.

Yes the JoAnn's in Newburgh is a traditional store. Least it was when I lived there 5 years ago :P Nice shop though. The AC Moore in Middletown though is where I did most of my shopping. Love that store!! Wish we had them here in Texas :D

Misa,

love your quote, what part of Texas are you?

We don't have a joann's in my area that I know of. There are Joann's in Texas bytheby, in Conroe if I am not mistaken. My sister loves the place as well. She is in Huntsville.

Well I never did get over to Joanns this weekend...its a very long story...anyway...maybe I'll get my situation cleared up enough to get over there and get some yarn on sale. The store is nothing really to speak of for a yarn addict...mainly fabric. Kristins right on...about the local options for yarn. I hope somebody around here gets to benefit from the sale...but again...if I get there, i'll let ya'll know.

Hello Jen!

I live in Newburgh. There is a Michaels, and also a higher end yarn store in Newburgh itself. I've never been to the Joanns, I usually stick with the Michaels. There is also a Wal-Mart and Target where you can sometimes find a good deal on yarn. I also belong to an SnB group that meets just outside of Newburgh in Fishkill, NY. If you'd like to know more about the Newburgh area, feel free to PM me.

Kristin - Thanks for the info. We actually took a ride over there today

(We were in Pine BUsh) and met with an agent. We've just started checking out areas/houses. I'd love to hear more about your SnB group.

I have a crochet group here in Ct and I'm really going to miss it!

I did stop at the JoAnns in Newburgh on the way home. The sign said its the last 7 days, I'd be surprised if they make it that long. They had a little fabric and even less yarn. It was all fun fur/novelty type. (some LB, Patons, and Mode Dea) IMO the prices were not great considering the recent $1/$2 sales at JoAnns and Michaels.

-Jen

usually it's just one or tow stores...they might be making a superstore nearby...that's what the on Joann's did by me. The other one is closing for good. I just got a great deal on one of those felt a bag kits...the yarn was the main reason that i got it....:)

I did stop at the JoAnns in Newburgh on the way home. The sign said its the last 7 days, I'd be surprised if they make it that long. They had a little fabric and even less yarn. It was all fun fur/novelty type. (some LB, Patons, and Mode Dea) IMO the prices were not great considering the recent $1/$2 sales at JoAnns and Michaels.

-Jen

Jen, your Joanns experience was typical of what Joanns was like before they started going out of business...so...perhaps when you come local you will shop at Michaels, or the LYS thats just a few blocks from Joannswww.agoodyarn.net ...*** when I googled that I found this!!!! http://www.cornwallyarnshop.com/index.htm which is also not far from where I live.

So...feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area, I've lived around here all my life so I can give you some insight into things the Agent might not be as quick to share! :)

Archived