Crochetville Publication

Happy_Hooker

I wonder if Crochetville has now grown big enough that we would be of interest to the publishing companies? Anybody have any contacts at the different book publishing houses?

At almost 10K members... (I wonder how many "active" users we have?) I would think so.

I think it would be cool... Especially because it is global...

I would be willing to do some legwork (very slow walking more likely ;)) to look into it if there is interest here on the site.

Wow, what a great idea. I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and I really admire the hard work and creativity that everyone here has displayed. I think a crochetville pattern book would go over very well...it would be great to have a book that featured designers from all over the world.

Keep up this idea, I would love to submit a pattern or two... :)

At almost 10K members... (I wonder how many "active" users we have?) I would think so.

I think it would be cool... Especially because it is global...

I would be willing to do some legwork (very slow walking more likely ;)) to look into it if there is interest here on the site.

Thanks for the offer, it is appreciated! You're welcome to research getting us contact information. But any actual discussions about a Crochetville book would need to occur between the publisher and Donna and myself. We are currently working on a couple of proposals, but we haven't approached any publishers yet. Still trying to identify the ones whose imprints would be most interested in what we have to offer.

Anyone is welcome to search out contact information to pass along to us.

Sounds good!!! It looks like theworm has a contact for you already...

Any ideas for Amy and Donna???

I think it would be cool if we had seasonal books... (ie. Crochetville: The summer collection) ;)

It would be cool if we had it split up by items... Handbags, hats toys etc)

Just a few ideas.

BETTER IDEA...

You remember those binderclip publications where you have to purchase the inserts as they come out??? Something like that would be great here!!!

Some of the publishing houses require that you first obtain an agent, who will then pitch the idea to the publishing house. If possible, we'd first like to try doing this on our own.

But if you have to have an agent to get to the imprints that would be most likely to publish Crochetville books, then that's what we'd do. So if anybody known any literary agents who specialize in the craft field, pass those contacts along, too!

Stalking yarnaholic!!! :)

Question Amy,

What do you think would be the best way to go about compiling patterns for something like this??? I would think we can only fit so much into one book... I would assume this is something we would submit to Crochetville for approval... You guys would get everything together and send it on off, right? And if so, what would be a good limit? 50, 100, designs??? With the size of this place now I can easily see that being easy to achieve.

I am thinking it would be good to have a set up something similar to the swap deadlines (forms in before a certain date... after that date or number of submissions the sign up is closed.)

There is really no point in compiling patterns until/unless Donna and I sign some sort of contract with a publisher. The publisher will very likely have a lot of input into what types of sections they want us to include, how many patterns in each section, how many pages we'll have for each section, and so on.

The most useful thing for Donna and me at this point in time would be for our members to let us know what general types of patterns they would like to see in a Crochetville pattern book. Being able to give the publisher information direct from our private little "focus group" here of what you all are interested in having including in such a book, and that you would be willing to purchase such a book, would help the publisher decide if they really would be interested in accepting our proposal.

With all the others books lately that have been published as a result of blog traffic and such, I really think that with our 10,000+ member base and the 318,974 posts made last year, there are definitely publishers who would be interested in publishing something associated with the Crochetville name. The more interest we can show them from our members, the larger a book they may be willing to produce. Or to contract with us for a series of books. Who knows?

I know of a designer who is publishing a book as we speak I can ask her how we might find one?

Debb, you can ask her if her publisher/agent is interested in hearing new crochet-related book proposals.

I know how to find the appropriate agents who work with craft-related books: it just takes a trip to the local library to look through their book that lists them all, then finding the ones who fit our needs.

But the "I know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody" type of thing may be the most beneficial of all!

I think I would lean towards a series rather than a single book. That way, you can avoid having to cut out patterns due to lack of page space and keep the cost down for those who cannot afford the larger books. Also, it helps cut down on buying a book with a bunch of patterns you don't want (example: I would never buy a poncho book cuz i don't wear 'em).

That's what I was saying... Kind of like a series... (sorta.) but more like vols or editions.

I don't think we could fit all of it in just one book... I think there will be way too much and we would have to cut a lot of it out.

Amy, I think maybe we should start a poll... People can vote for what they would want to see in the book... (afghans, hats, toys wearable etc.)

then the publisher will insist the patterns come down, and to me that ruins the communal idea at the very core of crochetville. Many women on here are invovled in charity work, and get patterns here

i am all for a crochetville book, i would buy it and happily contribute some of my own designs/patterns. the plsu side is with the testing here on the site we could offer patterns in a fully functional form. i have bought some cook books before that clearly were not tested well if at all before human consumption. yay for a book!!

Archived