Have an idea, looking for feedback

Katchkan

All right I have been considering doing a book of filet crochet designs to put on my website. I was just wondering if you all thought it would be worth doing or would I just be wasting my efforts?

I have so many designs that I think might be of interest to people but am unsure if there is adequate interest to support doing up a book and self publishing it. My other option is to keep submitting my designs and have them published hit and miss.

I thought I would throw this idea out here and see what everyone had to say.

If there is adequate interest, my next question would be. What would you like to see in such a book? Smaller projects, Runners, edgings, or larger projects like shawls, tablecloths, curtins,

And last what you consider a reasonable charge for say 8-12 designs in a book format?

I've bought a lot of patterns from this seller on eBay http://stores.ebay.com/Celebrity-Crochet-And-Crafts_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

She sells single patterns and then she also sells sets of four or five related patterns and I've also bought two books of shawl patterns from her - one with 35 patterns, one with 25 patterns...

She seems to be successful (she's stayed in business, so that's a good sign) - she's VERY nice and a good pattern writer. You might try looking at how she has gone about marketing her items and get some ideas.

I think there is definitely an interest in filet crochet designs!

Good luck!:manyheart

Oh Kathy! I think it is a WONDERFUL idea!!! I will be the first in line to buy it! You are so creative and your designs are beautiful. There is no way you could possibly go wrong on this venture. Window treatments, runners, sun-catchers, edgings and trimmings, valances, doilies!!!!!! Would you like me to stop now or shall I continue? Okay...sachets, hotpads, placemats, book-covers...I'm done (for now :P) Do it! :hug

Kathy,

I'm in AHH of all your designs. I especially love your birthstone doilies. I enjoy seeing all your runners too.

Once I get better at thread would love to try one of your design. I'd definitely be interested in buying your books. You are one of the most talented designers here.:yes

Encouring you all the way!

Carla

I'm a novice crocheter (started a year ago) and have done very little thread crochet...a few bookmarks and such. But you do such beautiful designs that if you published something, I would be interested in purchasing it. Perhaps you can self-publish it as a .pdf file to keep the cost down...? ...but I guess that brings with it a danger of piracy. I prefer pictures and patterns in a printed format anyway. I think it is definitely worth your efforts.

I would like to see a combination of small and large projects in a book of ~10 filet crochet designs. A couple of simple, but elegant patterns (for folks like me) and also like the whimsical garden one that inspires. Maybe not too many large projects, at least not for me, since I would be overwhelmed, not finish them, and get discouraged. Now, I do need a runner for the new dresser my BF just finished...

As for what to charge, I guess you can gauge it by what those booklets at craft stores and Annie's Attic are selling for (not the 99 cent sale price :lol). I don't know anything about publishing...and your situation, like, do you need to recover the cost?

Kathy,

I looked your web page and I am stunned, I think you are doing very good job by offering your patterns on your web page.If you go to publisher comp. what would you get out of it. As far as I see, you have many patterns to be published, choose 5-6 smaller design of yours and let the company publish for you and list the rest of them on your site.(I dont know if you already published your patterns by the publisher company, but if you did not, it is the perfect way to reach many people and your name will be better known, drives many potential buyers to your web page)

Good luck with your decision

Demet

I dont know if any of my writing make sense ( This is not may native language)

Kathy,

I looked your web page and I am stunned, I think you are doing very good job by offering your patterns on your web page.If you go to publisher comp. what would you get out of it. As far as I see, you have many patterns to be published, choose 5-6 smaller design of yours and let the company publish for you and list the rest of them on your site.(I dont know if you already published your patterns by the publisher company, but if you did not, it is the perfect way to reach many people and your name will be better known, drives many potential buyers to your web page)

Good luck with your decision

Demet

I dont know if any of my writing make sense ( This is not may native language)

Thank you for your kind remarks. All the patterns currently on my website are patterns I have self published. I do have some coming out this year that Annie's Attic is putting out. But the one's on my site are only available on my site.

It's just I have such a great love of filet work, and I have so many ideas that I know I could never get them all published. The publishers all have their quotas. Just thought it would be one way to get my ideas out there where they can be used. So I am still considering this as it would be a lot of work.

All right I have been considering doing a book of filet crochet designs

I love filet and you can do anything from large garments to small book markers.

One idea to is to draw a few charts to go with many of the patterns KWIM. I am alwaya drawing charts but rarely use any of them..lol not enough time lol

i love drawing charts becaus they give me my own inspiration for other projects

Archived