It's still snowing here... time for hats!

ladywyntir

Well... it's still snowing here... YAY for a noreaster

BUT! That leaves time for a quick hat!

My husband wanted a white hat to match the scarf i made for him last year. I didn't want to do homework this sunday... so i finally made the hat, hee hee

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ladywyntir/DSCN0003.jpg

and me modeling...

Pattern: (although i would like to email the poster to let him/her know that the brim part is backwards...)

Mielkes Farm - Crocheted Rib Hat Pattern

Yarn: Caron's Simply Soft 100% Acrylic

Two strands to make it nice and thick!

~lady wyntir ^_^

thank you everyone!

I think i want to make another (single strand this time) for myself.

The pattern is really lovely and it's very fun to crochet because you can see immediate results! Front post stitch is incredibly easy once you get the hang of it!

While reading through the instructions, i noticed that round 9 is the end of the decorated rows. Going to round 10 continues from that decoration and there is no way to fold it over to have it show (does that make sense?). So my suggestion is to make the decorated stitches first (rounds 1-7) and then make the single crochet (this is the 8 rounds that will go against your head).

Besides that, i thought the pattern was perfect.

I'll have to get used to closing up the hat at the top end. The yarn was really thick up there because it was such a closed space. Will work on my closing ^_^

~Lady Wyntir :sheep

That looks nice! It was funny, when I first saw it, I saw the picture first, then read, and thought "Wow, her husband looks kind of feminine..." LOL

Guest this caia

Ooh, nice! I haven't seen many patterns for masculine or gender-neutral hats that create such interest with texture. It seems like hats for guys tend to be very basic, or use color for variation instead.

I was thinking I'd like to try this hat after I finish what I'm working on, but it seems a bit complicated for a newbie. Maybe sometime in the future. Thanks for the link.

don't feel intimidated about this pattern. I saw the lengthy explanation and was worried at first, but i just took it slowly and made it through. i'm a novice crocheter too ^_^.

there are only 4 stitches and the way they are written out sound more complicated than they really are.

single crochet

single crochet through back loop only

double crochet

front post stitch (this is just doing a stitch through one of the double crochet loops).

i had to look it up, but it's fairly easy!

Good luck and if you need any help, feel free to send me an email for questions ^_^

Guest this caia

Well, maybe I will try it. The modification you describe is one you did, right? It took me awhile to get what you meant, until I realized you meant to do the decoration on rounds 1-7 of the brim. (The pattern itself is a little confusing, because it starts at 1 twice.)

Question: how big did this turn out for you? S-M-L? I'm thinking of making it (single strand for a hat one could wear indoors) for someone with a hat size XL... but I figured I should know what the default is before I go adding stiches or using a larger hook.

Thank you!

Archived