thread crochet for bad knuckles

iSiSfae

i really want to learn how to crochet with thread but i can barely hold a D-hook w/o having loads of knuckle and wrist issues. i've been crocheting since i was a kid, and it's ruined my knuckles but i won't give it up!

is there a way to make the hooks easier to hold? most of the comfort grips i've found are for yarn hooks.

do they even make thread hooks with comfort grip handles like the yarn hooks by clover?

any info would be appreciated!

I covered the base of my smaller hooks in polymer clay to make them the width of a normal sized hook it works great :yes and if you have sweaty hands like me the hook doesn't get slippery:blush (now if I could just figure out how to get the thread not to cut into my pinky:lol )

(now if I could just figure out how to get the thread not to cut into my pinky:lol )

thanks for the tip! didn't think about putting sculpy or fimo onto a crochet hook. i've seen it done for cute toppers, but never handles.

and a crochet friend of mine covers his pinky in super glue before he thread crochets. he swears by it. says he no longer cuts himself b/c of it. you could also use liquid bandage. he used super glue b/c liquid bandage wasn't on the market yet.

you could also use "finger condoms". they're little latex tubes that you can roll over your finger. they're found in most first aid sections of drug stores and supermarkets and are actually made to keep stitches and bandages dry.

speaking of bandages, maybe you could put some paper gauze tape on your pinky where you normally loop your yarn. that could work as well

i don't hold my yarn properly, so i don't have those issues (i throw my yarn like in english style knitting) but these are what have worked for my friend.

Liz I found some great cushions for thread hooks and it's what I use as it hurts me to hold a small hook for any length of time. I find with these though that I can hold it gently without having to feel like I'm hanging on for dear life. They are a foamy blue tube that you can cut to fit several hooks... I'll try to find out what it is and get you the name. I hunted forever for it here.

I used to have some that were like triangle shaped, with a hole in the middle for the needle and then long.. hmm.. that sounds weird, but you boiled them, put the hook thruogh and then molded them to your grip. Think kids football mouth guard .. same sort of idea and it was wonderful! But I've not been able to find them anywhere anymore :(

do they even make thread hooks with comfort grip handles like the yarn hooks by clover?

Yes :hook Clover made thread hooks like the yarn ones. I think they may be discontinued as the only place I have found to order them is at Lonestar yarns. You might also like Profi thread hooks as they have a plastic handle that makes thicker than a plain steel hook. You might also be able to add the grips. You can get them at Lonestar Yarns too.

Profi thread hooks here

Clover soft touch thread hooks here

Liz I found some great cushions for thread hooks and it's what I use as it hurts me to hold a small hook for any length of time. I find with these though that I can hold it gently without having to feel like I'm hanging on for dear life. They are a foamy blue tube that you can cut to fit several hooks... I'll try to find out what it is and get you the name. I hunted forever for it here.

The tubes are just called "comfort cushions". The companies that make Boye and Bates hooks both sell them for about $2 each.

take a hint from angel's book (yes, username angel here at c'ville) and buy some polymer clay, mould it over your thread hook to suit you then bake. voila, perfect handle! it might pay to keep in mind you really only use no more than 1" of the actual length of the hook in thread crochet at the very most.

Archived