Which patterns are your favorites for craft fairs & baza

mrs who

Question

I happened to be paging through a 20+ yo copy of Annie's Crochet magazine :read and read the "brag" section. One woman said she'd sold over 300 pair of crocheted cowboy booties, LOL. Well, that was 1981!

But it got me wondering, what kind of crocheted items sell best at craft fairs or church bazaars or even on a smaller basis like someone sees what you're making and orders a bunch?

I'm really curious!!! (I'm not sure I'm up to crocheting for business, but I'm curious!!)

Thanks in advance to those of you who have answer!!!! :ty

7 answers to this question

That is so funny that you asked this, because I was thinking the same thing....:ideanot I went to 2 different craft fairs at churches this weekend and saw very little crochet. I saw a few scarves made out of eyelash type yarn - but didn't get close enough to price. I saw another booth of barbie type dolls with crochet dresses - very southern - with big skirts (reminded me of 'Gone with the Wind' - they were beautiful) and she also had a few Christmas towels with crochet toppers. That's really about it - mostly it was Jewelry, jewelry, jewelry. I was really surprised I didn't see more wraps, ponchos, shawls, and hats.

My mom just did a craft fair through work today (she does beading/jewelry) and made a haul not only on her stuff, but took some dishrags that I had crocheted, including scrubby ones made in nylon netting/tulle, and sold out the few I sent with her. Note to self-next time make more than 10 LOL

depends amber.. what kind of yarn were you using.. and what kind of pattern and how large are they ..

i know the blankets i sell (and they sell well) i use wendy peter pan velvet touch yarn and i make them in somekind of pattern you dont see every day and i have no problem selling mine for more than 30 dollars.. but i guess it depends on area and what ppl are willing to pay.. i think i have it good here because i live in pinehurst nc .. where its considered a resort town.. and these ppl will pay what ever i say the price is.. i am sure its not like that every where..

i think the trick is though.. i use yarns you dont see every day and i make them special.. not just your average every day blanket..

as for what would sell and wouldnt.. i think that depends on area and what not.. i sell mainly shawls and ponchos at the moment.. i dont do much small stuff.. i have some little treasure type bags i make with scarp and i have some book marks and some jam jar covers (for the tops) those are my small items.. but honestly i sell more of my big stuff .. i do hats and scarves too ..

i also think it depends on the yarns you use.. i try to be different and unique in colour choices as well as styles.. i think that is the key .. keep up with what is "in" change with the styles and be unique in what you do ..

I've been crocheting Barbie doll and Cabbage Patch clothes for 15 years, and they sell well! And Cabbage Patch dolls seem to be making a bit of a comeback.

Depending on the intracacy or simplicity of the patterns, you can have a good price range, and there's something that appeals to everyone.

I started making the clothes for my nieces, when they were little, to keep me busy as I cared for my ailing mom, and it was good therapy for me, and allowed me to tend to her.

But, there was an unexpected lovely reward- the shining eyes and big smiles of the children who cruised past my booth and stopped, with their mom, or grandma, and went home with a new treasure.:)

Here in the Palm Springs area of California (where it doesn't get below 70 in the dead of winter) bestsellers are purses*, baby layettes, hats** and light weight ponchos.

*the purses need to be beaded and unique

**hats are lacy and lightweight

Archived