Round Shrug

If you post this in the Seeking Patterns sections you would increase your chance of a response :hook And I'll keep checking back, cuz that's one cute pattern!

For those of us who knit, would you please tell us where you got that awfully cute picture?? I would love to have that pattern!

Here is the location of the pattern at Crochet me. Personally, I don't think it is as cute as the one you have shown...but that is all just a matter of opinion! I would still love to see the pattern for the one in the first post on this thread!

http://www.crochetme.com/swirl

Busymom, I did a little digging and found that this was the Fall Vogue Knitting 2005 cover sweater. I also found a knit-along where they've been working on this all year. http://twistedfloatshrugkal.blogspot.com/ It sounds like a real challenge. It's a bit different from the Crochetme spiral sweater. The knitted one is more like a giant bull's eye with the circles radiating all the way out and including the sleeves.

I imagine this could be done in crochet, and may be even easier. You'd crochet in rounds to make a giant flat circle, changing colors as you go, and leave two openings for the sleeves. The hardest part would probably be making the actual sleeves. Wasn't there someone here who used to crochet something similar for children?

Busymom, I did a little digging and found that this was the Fall Vogue Knitting 2005 cover sweater. I also found a knit-along where they've been working on this all year. http://twistedfloatshrugkal.blogspot.com/ It sounds like a real challenge. It's a bit different from the Crochetme spiral sweater. The knitted one is more like a giant bull's eye with the circles radiating all the way out and including the sleeves.

I imagine this could be done in crochet, and may be even easier. You'd crochet in rounds to make a giant flat circle, changing colors as you go, and leave two openings for the sleeves. The hardest part would probably be making the actual sleeves. Wasn't there someone here who used to crochet something similar for children?

After looking really hard at this link on the Knitted one I think this could be fairely easy to do in Crochet. I think I would do it all in HDC or SC (to get tighter circles. Bell sleeves would be fairly easy cause you could do them in the round without much shaping. The hardest part would be the sleeve placement to the body. I think I'll sew one up in muslin to get proper spacing measurement for the arm slits.

OH! Yes! I love a Challenge! I have never made a cloth patttern to make a crocheted one. This will be a first. I'll post what I figure out, but it may take me a while, maybe I will have it for next fall :D

This is really pretty, dosen't look like it would be hard to do. TRhe biggegest problem I have right now is that I want to just drop everythig I'm working on , and just grab some yarn and try to crochet one of these. I have another patterns based on flat circles, so placing the opening for the sleeves wouldn't be that difficult. Just a tip, get out a shirt or sweater that you really like, lay it on it;s front, and measure the distance across the back from armhole to armhole. This will give you an idea of the size the circle needs to be before you make armhole openings.

Wow, I guess I really started something with this picture of the round shrug. I'm not sure what site the picture is on because a friend emailed this to me and said she was taking a 6 week class to make this shrug. I think she said she would show me the knit pattern. Would it be okay for someone to convert to crochet?

I really like this one compared to the one on the "crochetme" site. So if any one gets this started, as stated before please forward on to me.

Or if one the knitters knows how to convert once the actual pattern is found please forward.

Thanks again.

The original picture came from http://www.woolandcompany.net/ (I right-clicked and hit "properties"). If you go there you find where the class is offered by the pattern's designer, Annie Modesitt. She also has her own site at http://www.anniemodesitt.com .

The KAL offers some tips for sleeve placement, for anyone trying to figure this out on their own. http://twistedfloatshrugkal.blogspot.com/2006/03/sizing-tips.html

There's also a comment in their somewhere about randomly staggering the increases. Maybe that would help avoid the hexagon/pinwheel pattern that often develops when crocheting circles. It looks like it's worked in two different alternating stitches to give it that whirling effect.

I made one of these for my daughter using a doily pattern that I really liked. All I did was crochet around and around until I got it to measure across from shoulder to shoulder at about 10:00 and 2:00 positions on the circle.

Once I had the right "width" across, then I knew that's where I needed to put the sleeves. You can also look for a natural break in the pattern where it would make sense.

You can put a safety pin at the top on the shoulder and below the armpit. If you are not sure, measure a sweater that the person wears to get the "length" of the arm opening.

Continue on in the pattern, but when you get to the safety pin, just chain stitch long enough plus a little slack to reach the next pin and continue with pattern. On the next round, just continue the pattern in the chain stitches.

For the sleeves, I just did a simple mesh filet type crochet around and around. Then added the same finished trim pattern as the circle doily. If you want bell sleeves, just incease as you go -- be sure to write down what you are doing so that you can make a 2nd sleeve to match!!

The jacket for my daughter turned out beautifully! It's pretty easy using doily patterns!

Good Luck!

Archived