Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aelita asked about a newborn size. I just finished one in a newborn size and I used a G hook and one strand of Simply Soft yarn. I wanted to make the neck smaller so I skipped rows 1 & 2 on the left and 21 and 22 on the right.

I also shortened it- the length is 8".

I read a lot of the posts on this BICO sweater before I started and they really helped making it. :cheer Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments on the BICO.

I love this pattern and will be making it again.:yes Jane

Hi there, after hearing the podcast, I'm interested in trying this pattern. I know a few little ones that would look so cute in this! And possibly after trying it my own kids would look cute come Christmas. Anyway.... does it have to be done in homespun.... or just any bulky yarn... or maybe even 2 strands of a soft ww held tog? I'll go back and read some of the thread, but there is NO WAY i'm ever going to get though all 727 posts before mine,:lol. Once I know for sure about yarn to use, I'll go buy some and get started once my January birthday present rush is over.

People have used one strand, but what happens is that it turns out much smaller. Do a test swatch and see what happens.

For each one I have done I have used double strands. I have done both the 6 and 12 month size, and then one for my daughter (size 7) and one for a newborn - when I did the 6 and 12 month size, I used double strand Caron SS - for the newborn size I used double strand baby weight.

Doing a test swatch is your best bet. If you need help, scream! We will come to the rescue!

People have used one strand, but what happens is that it turns out much smaller. Do a test swatch and see what happens.

Really? I've only done one strand BICOs and haven't had a problem with the size. I've done 2 in Homespun and 2 in Softee Chunkee.

~Susan

Okay...officially I haven't joined this CAL, but I'm in North Texas also and it's "perfect" crochet weather. I just finished a Homespun afghan last night for a friend. It was a great "warm" (:D) project to work on during this time of year. I'm giving it to one of my friends at work this morning as a gift.

I'm thinking about starting another project tonight, simply because it's still kinda cold outside. This one is done in black "Simply Soft" yarn with the SS Brights mixed in. It's one of the projects I'm determined to finish this year, along with some quilting and cross-stitch projects. So, I guess I'm in this CAL now, huh? :blush

Jen- Here is the chart that Kristen had posted a while back. (For measurements.) I know someone else (Ginny, I believe) also said to add an inch for the measurements are the body measurements. You also want to have some room to breathe, so to speak.... I don't know if that will help or not. :think I haven't made a 2T yet so I don't know anything more.... :)

Tina

Could someone post the tips again the measurements to make different sizes? I'm looking to make one for a 2 yr old. THANKS!

"People have used one strand, but what happens is that it turns out much smaller. Do a test swatch and see what happens."

Really? I've only done one strand BICOs and haven't had a problem with the size. I've done 2 in Homespun and 2 in Softee Chunkee.

I think the original poster was referring to using one strand worsted weight yarn... For chunky/bulky yarns one strand is fine - for ww use 2 strands unless you want it smaller or will be modifying the pattern! Which we all know I LOVE to do!!

Jen- Here is the chart that Kristen had posted a while back. (For measurements.) I know someone else (Ginny, I believe) also said to add an inch for the measurements are the body measurements. You also want to have some room to breathe, so to speak.... I don't know if that will help or not. :think I haven't made a 2T yet so I don't know anything more.... :)

Tina

Thanks, although that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I seem to remember that somewhere among our many BICO posts (lol!) that someone wrote up a post about how to make adjustments to the pattern to make different sizes. It probably just references the measurements you gave me. LOL!

here is the information from a long ago post that might help you figure out the math

<---------------------------------------------------->

Begin with a place like this which gives standard sizing

http://www.yarnstandards.com/babysize.html

if you look, the Back (across) measurement says it should be 8.5 inches for the 18 mo size. This is the measurement you start working from.

Add ease: you want to add ease to this measurement -2 inches should be good in this pattern.

You want to crochet a chain that will get you 10.5 inches.

now get out your yarn and hook (whatever you plan to use) and make a goodly sized swatch and determine your gauge in these materials. once you know how many stitches per inch you make, you can figure out how long your chain needs to be. for the sake of argument we'll say it is 4 hdc/inch.

You then need to make a chain of 4 X 10.5 = 42plus 1 for turning.

use this same gauge and the same method to determine how big you need to make your sleeves (add-ons) with or without cuffs.

<------------------------------------------------------------->

Oh please help me. :(

I have reworked the first 5 rows in this sucker at least 10 times. I'm having major issues figuring out my guage and adjusting for it. I'm trying to make a newborn size, and I've been following Darski's instructions.

So...I need the back to be about 9.5 inches, according to the chart. My guage is regularly 3.5 hdc per inch. So, the first time I just went ahead and rounded that up to 4, which means that I crocheted a chain of 39 (38 plus 1 for turning). By the 3rd row I had a piece measuring 10.5 inches across. :think Then I went ahead and just used the 3.5 - I crocheted a chain of 30 (29 with some rounding plus 1 for turning). By the third row my piece measured 8.5 inches across. :no

If someone could help me figure out how to do this I will love them forever. I'm using a K hook. What the heck am I doing wrong?

At this point, the question I would ask is, "Does this look like it would fit a newborn baby?"

If the answer is, "Yes" then I would just go with it.

I would guess that the 8.5 inches across would work out.

The 3month size showed a 16 inch chest so your sweater measuring about (8.5 X 2) 17 inches would probably work out just fine. You will also have some play in the front as well. You choose where to button it after all

I tend to do most stuff by "eye" anyway, :blush

Oh, thanks Darski! I will just keep plugging away at it then. I held it up to a newborn size onesie and it looked pretty close. I suppose too that even if it ends up too small I can always make another since all of you have said they work up so fast. Thanks again! :yay

Well everyone and their brother or sister keeps having babies... So guess what... :yes I'm on BICO #6 now... :yes For a boy baby. And after this weekend I want to get some *girl* yarn to do one for my new niece that I forgot about her mom being pregnant... :blush (It is my step-sisters' baby~ my stepsister who I've seen maybe twice since she's been my step-sister?) Technically she is my niece, though, so I will make her one, too. :hook

And I still want to do one in a size 2T and a size 8... Must... Get... More... Yarn.... :lol

Tina

:hi havnt been in here for a while to post anything, but i keep checking on everyones progress.

i have been asked to make a white set , BICO beanie and booties so i will be posting in here in a little while :)

keep up the great work everyone :clap

I'm up to the neckline now! :clap I'm so excited!

I don't know if any of you can answer this, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask. I'm attempting to make a newborn size. So far the width of the sweater under the arms is about 9.5 inches. The sleeve length ended up being 7 inches. The body length before the sleeves begin is about 5 inches. When I got to the neckline, I tried to break my stitches up into roughly the same proportions that the original pattern called for, so I ended up with 33 hdc, then 20 slip stitches, then 33 more hdc. When I measure my 20 slip stitches, it comes out to about 5 inches. Is this neckline going to end up being too large? I was trying to follow the measurements that flyinghooks has on her blog as closely as possible - her neckline measurement is 3.5 inches.

So....should I just keep the neckline as is and maybe add a bit more to the bottom (or none at all)? Or, should I rework my neckline to be 3.5 inches? I'm not worried about the sleeves being a bit longer since they can be rolled up, but I don't want to mess up the neck opening.

Thanks so much. You ladies have been such a help to me. :manyheart

Yes she did and sent it to me a bit ago, but I have been SO BUSY I haven't had time to get it up on my site.

I will! I promise!

Is Kristen (aka lilybean) around? Did she ever put together that chart of our various BICOs from the form we filled out? I know life gets in the way, but I was just wondering!

Population 800; have you changed the pattern at all? It should be fine. It overlaps the other front side to button it when you're done. :yes

Don't know if I answered your question... :think

Tina

Population 800, I would cut that down a bit if you can. You will be going around that edge later when you do the edging so it will come in a bit but I would come in a couple of stitches on either side.

You can do it and see how it looks knowing that you will be making it smaller

it is so hard to tell just by words or numbers isn't it?

Do you think a pullover would be practical for a size six months? Has anyone done one? How do you do it? You would probably want to go farther than just 11 sts for the neck opening, wouldn't you? :think Hmmm...

Oh Kristen.... Lilybean? Where are you? :P I got your notes on the size 2T pullover. So, should I just do the 11 sts (for the six months), then do four rows on each side of the neck? (And what is FO?) I guess I'll try it and see...

Tina

Archived