Anyone seen a crocheted Julia set?

This thread is a result of my bizarro soapbox speech to Tiga about math in crochet, in which it occurred to me that a Julia set (a kind of fractal) bedspread would be really cool.

I searched on "crochet Julia set" and got nothing fractal-related, just patterns by people named Julia or patterns that are themselves named Julia.

My question is, has anyone seen a fractal-based design in an FO? It seems like an obvious idea, since it's real purty, and there's already some overlap with crochet and higher math (see "Crocheting the Hyperbolic Plane"). Sure, this isn't a model that can be used as a learning tool, but it still seems like a pretty pattern and there must be mathematicians and aficionadoes who also crochet.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

--Elissa, who is overreaching her advanced-beginner talents with this project and will finally have to learn how to crochet those dang spirals

The pix of fractal flames are gorgeous! On the crocheted Julia (the sort of rust red colored one), did she increase in every stitch after making the center circle? I might have to grab some yarn an try it. One of those would certainly be a conversation piece, and fun to play with.

Alice

• 1 month later...

Here are some links that I have found ... hope these help or inspire!

LJ Crochet Community Archive - Pattern for fractal shawl

Knitting Kits, yarns, patterns plus a link to useful knitting tips this one is knit .. but maybe will give you some inspiration Link is at bottom of page.

I am soooo not a mathematician but I would like to try the Monkey's puzzle (Best of both Whirls) as a quilt along. I had tried a couple squares of that in fabric.

But then a backgammon game would be so cool.

Archived