Coupon tip

CraftyShannon

Here is something I learned yesterday and thought others might benefit. Yesterday at Michael's, I was using a competitor's coupon and had to argue with the cashier, who didn't want to accept it. After asking if their coupon policy has changed (it hasn't) and pointing out my coupon was indded in date, she had no choice but to take it. I specifically told her what to use it on, but was so busy arguing with her and gathering my stuff that I did not check the screen.

Once I got to the car, I thought about my total and thoght something was wrong. She had taken the discount off the cheapest thing I bought, which was 65 cents. I went back in and she told me the problem. She scanned the coupon at the end, thinking the computer would take the discount off the most expensive thing. It didn't. It took the manager 3 times of trying to adjust the price.

The cashier told me from now on I could ask them to manually take the discount instead of just scanning the coupon. The onlyr reason I knew about this was because I checked my receipt, but I'm sure there are people all the time who get cheated because they don't notice. I thought I'd give everyone a heads up so you remember to pay closer attention when using the coupons.

She had taken the discount off the cheapest thing I bought, which was 65 cents. I went back in and she told me the problem. She scanned the coupon at the end, thinking the computer would take the discount off the most expensive thing.

It surprises me that they can even scan a competitor's coupon. I would think all those would have to be entered manually anyway. :think Since she put up such a fight about accepting it in the first place, the skeptic in me says that she had been instructed on exactly how to "scan" that coupon to benefit you the least, hoping you wouldn't notice. I hate thinking that way, but I betcha dollars to donuts that it's true.

Sounds like she needs some proper register training.

I know we (Jo-Ann's) can't scan competitor's coupons at all... we have to do them manually. And ALL of our coupons, no matter where they are from, have to be entered -immediately- after the item it is going to be used on. We learn that before they even let us run a register for real. LOL!

Clearly, their system is set up the same, and she doesn't know how to properly redeem coupons. *sigh*

Glad you caught it, though! Hopefully her manager properly trained her after that incident...

I recommend, from the perspective of someone who works a register in a craft store from time to time, to place the coupon directly on top of the item when emptying your cart. You can always have them price-check the items to discover the most expensive before they ring it up (at least in Jo-Ann's we can), in case you're not sure which item you should use it on. ;)

Another tip. I just learned the other day that Joann's will take not just one, but three, coupons at a time. And they can be a mix of theirs, Michael's, and/or Hobby Lobby's. Same deal at Bed, Bath & Beyond and Linens 'n Things. Except that the latter two stores will take coupons up to 60 days old, and the craft stores want current coupons.

As long as the bar codes are all different, yes, Jo-Ann's will take multiple coupons. I was not aware of any upper limit, though... I'll check on that. ;)

Possible Sources:

AC Moore (on items both stores sell -- no fabric)

Hobby Lobby (on items both stores sell -- no fabric)

Michaels (on items both stores sell -- no fabric)

Jo-Ann Mailer (one per transaction, period, even if they are from different people)

Jo-Ann Newspaper Insert

Jo-Ann E-mail

Other Jo-Ann promotion coupons in any combo (notions item, craft item, cut of fabric, etc.)

So, yeah, you can use a lot! ;)

It baffles me that ANY store takes expired coupons... what's the point of putting a date on a coupon at all if you're going to ignore it, anyway? LOL!

The Michaels near me has large cards at each register with bar codes attached to it for competitors' coupons. In my experience there, new employees are sometimes wont to say "No, we don't take them", because they are embarrassed to admit they don't know how to ring up the discounts on the register.

I always, VERY CAREFULLY, give the coupon, together with the item it's intended for, to the cashier and point out that it is for that item. And then I repeat myself!

When possible, I go to cashiers who have done it properly before.

RE: JoAnn's: the JoAnn's I go to will take multiple coupons in the same transaction. Ex.: their own postal fliers, computer printed ones, and competitors, AS MANY AS YOU HAVE, AS LONG AS THERE ARE NOT TWO OF THE SAME COUPON. The sales people there have often taped the coupons to the items for me to make it obvious for the cashier. I've had, for the most part, really good help at JoAnn's.

RE: Hobby Lobby. All the Hobby Lobby stores I've been to only accept their own coupons and only one coupon per day per person.

I always put the coupon on top of the item and tell them what I want to use it for. Yes, some people are dense even with the coupon on top of the item. As usual, she did the coupon last, which is pretty typical of the store. The cashiers at the Michael's here always sigh or argue about competitor coupons, so I know they don't like taking them, but since it's store policy, I use them anyway. However, this woman did seem apologetic afterwards, and it was clear to see she didn't know how to deal with the return, so I think she really was new. Whatever the reason, I know I'll be checking my receipt more closely from now on.

Speaking of Jo-Ann's, I was told by a manager here that a coupon can be used for anything that is sold in both stores. Only A.C. Moore and Michael's coupons couldn't be used for fabric. I would assume Hobby Lobby coupons should be okay. I've used four or five coupons at once, so I haven't heard of a limit unless that's a new policy.

It baffles me that ANY store takes expired coupons... what's the point of putting a date on a coupon at all if you're going to ignore it, anyway? LOL!

I'd never heard of stores doing that until a clerk at Bed, Bath, and Beyond told me. She didn't tell me you have an extre 60 days, just to save all my old ones. It does sound bizarre, doesn't it?

My only way of rationalizing it is they must think they can get more business this way. Having an expiration date hurries most customers to use them. Apparently, this isn't a very well known policy and most people throw old coupons away, so I doubt they have a ton of people rushing in with old coupons. Yet for those who will only buy with coupons it gets them in the store. A win-win situation for the store.

I've had so many problems with JoAnn's coupons...mostly, they forget to deduct it. The manager is usually out to lunch and the assistant manager is not sure what to do. Now, I always have them ring up the coupon item separately. Yes, it's time consuming but worth it.

I never bother using competitors' coupons in JoAnn. I know this will probably create a whole new nightmare and my blood pressure just cannot handle it! LOL!

charkitty

The nearest Michaels told me they don't take internet coupons or competitors coupons, so I just don't bother going there much; the yarn selection isn't good, anyway. It was just convenient when we were out that way; but AC Moore is the best selections I've seen so I prefer to head that way when I can.

My local Hobby Lobby sells fabric, so I think I could use one of their coupons for fabric at Joann, right?

I KNEW someone was going to post something like that. LOL! We don't have Hobby Lobby stores here, so I had no idea they had fabric. :D Also, since we don't have any, I never see their coupons. LOL!

CharKitty - sounds like a very poorly-managed store. Coupons are one of the most basic parts of register training we're supposed to get. Your experience saddens me, because I know how to do what that assistant manager has problems with, and I'm on a register for like five minutes once a week!!

I checked with a fellow employee who has a lot of Guest Services experience (and just became the head of seasonal/floral, so therefore also gets "manager on duty" responsibilities and has keys --- ooooh), and she confirmed there is no limit of the number of coupons you can use in Jo-Ann's, as long as they're all different. ;) The store claiming a "three coupon limit" is lying, and needs to review their company policies again. ;)

I think I have said it before, but I think I work in one of the most anal-retentive stores when it comes to policies and procedures... and I wouldn't have it any other way!! :D

I've had so many problems with JoAnn's coupons...mostly, they forget to deduct it. The manager is usually out to lunch and the assistant manager is not sure what to do. Now, I always have them ring up the coupon item separately. Yes, it's time consuming but worth it.

I never bother using competitors' coupons in JoAnn. I know this will probably create a whole new nightmare and my blood pressure just cannot handle it! LOL!

charkitty

If the people in charge don't know what they are doing, then customers should contact headquarters to alert them about the bad customer service at the store. I knew a woman who redeemed some kind of free food points at Taco Bell, but the restaurant did not know how to give her the free food. She contacted Taco Bell headquarters to alert them to the problem. They sent her a letter saying they had contacted her restaurant and they sent her a bunch of free coupons. I've also had to go above a store once, and usually if they know a store is having problems, they are quick to fix it.

I once worked at a Linens 'N' Things as a seasonal cashier. Not all locations of LNT or BBB will accept expired coupons. They'll definately take each others -- but for instance -- my store used to always take expired coupons, and then right around the time I left, they changed their policy and won't take expired ones anymore.

I would definately recommend taking appropriate competitor coupons to stores, but I wouldn't count on buying something using an expired one.

Working at HL, I've never seen anyone attempt to use any other coupon besides a HL coupon. However, we also have both Michaels and JoAnn's just up the street.

I've never seen an AC Moore in my life.

I did ask HL about competitor's coupons once, and they don't take them since they allow you to use mulitples of their own in a week.

As for my orginal topic about Michael's, I now think they really do mess up on the discount on purpose. Today I sent my mom in with yet another competitor's coupon. She's horrible at math, so she wouldn't know if they messed up even if she checked. When she brought it to me, I did the math, and sure enough, the discount was wrong again. I found this thing cheaper in another store, so I'll be returning it anyway. At this point, I doubt it would do any good to complain to the manager, so I don't know if I'll bother, but this is crazy.

Archived