Beautiful Sweater - Floral Fantasy Pullover

flyinghooks

Anyone interested in a CAL for this sweater? I know there are a few already working on it!

kmarcene started this thread over in Clothing show-and-tell that she was interested in making this sweater. Several villagers expressed interest, some said they were already working on it, and several suggested it become a CAL. I contacted kmarcene (didn't want to step on her toes :blush ) and asked if she wanted to set up a CAL or would she mind/like me to do it. She asked me to go ahead and post it over here and she would join us when she could...

So, thank you to kmarcene for the inspiration, and here we go... anyone want to join us?

Finished!

supafreak - child version

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for starting this thread flyinghooks! ;) Obviously I am in. I got my yarn yesterday in the mail and made 3 A motifs last night. They work up well. I checked my gauge and everything seems to be going fine. I am so excited. The motifs work up fast. I did those three in probably an hour, and they should get faster the more that I do. :clap

I think that I am going to follow the pattern and not join as I go and wait to join until things are all finished. I am going to Hawaii for 15 days to visit my family that lives there and attend my cousins wedding, so it should be a great project to work on while I am there because the pieces are small. I will be online though to update and see how everyone is doing. This is my first CAL, I am so excited.

Oh man! Let me pick my jaw up off the floor. I LOVE it! I'm working on the Victoria Secret skirt, but I'm going to have to start this one next! (I'm almost done with the skirt)

That sweater is beautiful!:manyheart

And, wow, I can't believe I'm getting in a crochet along right at the beginning. :D

Count me in! I fell in love with this sweater when I first saw the posting on the Lion Brand website. I just need to get the yarn and then I can get started on it. Tonight after work I'm going to go by Michael's and see if they have it in stock yet. If not, I have some other yarn that I need to order, so I'll include this in my order.

When someone here gets done, or close to it, I would really love to know how much yarn you have left on skein #2 when completing one of these. I wanted to possibly use substitute yarn when I *eventually* get around to this (oh no, the list grows larger lol). I can just imagine them calling for 2 of these huge skeins, but only needing a tiny portion off the 2nd one! Considering a med. takes 3, maybe not, but I'd at least like a ballpark idea on the actual-used yardage. :)

When someone here gets done, or close to it, I would really love to know how much yarn you have left on skein #2 when completing one of these. I wanted to possibly use substitute yarn when I *eventually* get around to this (oh no, the list grows larger lol). I can just imagine them calling for 2 of these huge skeins, but only needing a tiny portion off the 2nd one! Considering a med. takes 3, maybe not, but I'd at least like a ballpark idea on the actual-used yardage. :)

Actually in the yarn specified, S, M & L all take 2 skeins; 1X, 2X and 3X all take 3 skeins. This is because S, M, & L all call for 24 motif A and 4 motif B and vary in how many rows you put in the side gussets and how many rows you crochet at the shoulders. So, for the small I'm sure you'll have a bit of the 2nd skein left over.

I'm not using the specified yarn, but I should still be able to give you an yardage estimate as we go along.

Thanks for starting this thread flyinghooks! ;) Obviously I am in. I got my yarn yesterday in the mail and made 3 A motifs last night. They work up well. I checked my gauge and everything seems to be going fine. I am so excited. The motifs work up fast. I did those three in probably an hour, and they should get faster the more that I do. :clap

I think that I am going to follow the pattern and not join as I go and wait to join until things are all finished. I am going to Hawaii for 15 days to visit my family that lives there and attend my cousins wedding, so it should be a great project to work on while I am there because the pieces are small. I will be online though to update and see how everyone is doing. This is my first CAL, I am so excited.

Glad you stopped in before you headed off! Great job - 3 motifs done already!

Oh man! Let me pick my jaw up off the floor. I LOVE it! I'm working on the Victoria Secret skirt, but I'm going to have to start this one next! (I'm almost done with the skirt)

Count me in! I fell in love with this sweater when I first saw the posting on the Lion Brand website. I just need to get the yarn and then I can get started on it.

Great to have you both with us!!:cheer:clap:cheer

I am really intimidated by this pattern, but would like to join. Maybe knowing I have Friends who can walk me through it or explain things I don't get will help. I have never made a wearable with sleeves, tried a couple with some problems, so I am sure I'll need the support. I'll hit the LYS tomorrow to get yarn! This is also my first CAL, I'm excited!:cheer

I am really intimidated by this pattern, but would like to join. Maybe knowing I have Friends who can walk me through it or explain things I don't get will help. I have never made a wearable with sleeves, tried a couple with some problems, so I am sure I'll need the support. I'll hit the LYS tomorrow to get yarn! This is also my first CAL, I'm excited!:cheer

Glad to have you! We can all help each other through this one!

Count me in! I just finished the Caron Sage Circle Jacket CAL which was my first garment and I like the idea of making stuff for myself. Gonna look for substitutions though cause the Romance yarn might break the bank account.

Alright, quick question. When trying to substitute, should I look for matching yardage or matching ounces. Yardage makes more sense to me but...I guess this pattern called for 960 yards of yarn. I was going to make it out of Chenille Thick and Quick but each of those skeins only has 100 yards. Does that mean I will need 10 skeins to finish this project? Or am I just thinking about this all wrong?

Alright, quick question. When trying to substitute, should I look for matching yardage or matching ounces. Yardage makes more sense to me but...I guess this pattern called for 960 yards of yarn. I was going to make it out of Chenille Thick and Quick but each of those skeins only has 100 yards. Does that mean I will need 10 skeins to finish this project? Or am I just thinking about this all wrong?

Hi Bianka - Glad you could join us! If you're substituting with another superbulky or bulky yarn then yes you need the same yardage. You'll want to make sure you can get gauge with the yarn you choose.

I'm using double strand of a thinner yarn and therefore need twice the yardage! Does this make sense?

Also make sure you save your receipt, because the S, M and L sizes all call for 2 skeins of Romance, so depending on which size you're doing you may have leftover yarn.

There was a question on the old thread about assembly...

has anyone tried this sweater yet? I'm trying it right now, and i'm just not sure how to join the "granny squares" it says to sew them together, but i'm just not sure if you sew around the chain 4 space, or catch one of the chains. does this make any sense? if anyone has tried this, then it will likely make sense to you

Supafreak - glad to have you with us.

To join these motifs. I think you can do either method that you said. Since it is an even # of chains I would probably sew 2 ch-4 loops together between the 2nd and 3rd chain. Or you could choose to sew them together through both the 2nd and 3rd chains. I think to go through only one chain might look lopsided.

I actually decided to do the join as you go method so when making those chain 4 loops I slip stitch to another motif's ch 4 loop (ch 2, sl st to other motif, ch2).

You can see joined squares at my blog if you want to take a peek.

How's everyone else doing?

:embar I'm not "doing" yet...I was so excited to join this thread, but I'm bound & determined to finish the Victorias Secret skirt in the other CAL I'm in...I'm going to have it finished this weekend. I'm only 9 rows from the end but they're a little labor intensive, if you ask me.:sweat

I also have a shawl I've been working on, on my own, since last spring. I slacked during the summer, and I'm thinking I should hurry up and finish it because the weather these days has been PERFECT for my shawl (which is still too small to wear).

So, I'm kinda thinking I should finish those two and start this one next.... :(

I'll keep watching, though. Maybe you all can iron out any questions or mistakes before I jump in on it. I like the idea of joining as you go. I prefer that method and it makes more sense to me. :)

Well shoot. I may as well go ahead and get the yarn it calls for. If I did what I had planned, it would be like $70. Hmph, I wish I would pay $70 for a sweater I had to turn around and make myself. Gonna order the yarn tonight being as I can't seem to find it. Should be here in a few days. Hopefully that gives me a little time to get some of my other WIPs going.

I want to join you all on this lovely sweater. I will be using patons divine. I have done other wearables but this one intimidates me with all the mofits that have to be sewn together.

Welcome!

Please consider the join-as-you -go method for these motifs. I can write more later if you need me to explain. I have to go pick up my son and gethim to piano!

can someone explain in detail the join as you go method? how many motifs do you make first before you begin to "join as you go?" It seems to me that you will eventually end up with a shape that is not four sided, like an L shape, or a + shape. How do you go about "joining as you go" when you have a shape like this?

I want to join you all on this lovely sweater. I will be using patons divine. I have done other wearables but this one intimidates me with all the mofits that have to be sewn together.

I love Patons Divine, will you let me know how it works with this pattern, that is the yarn I was considering trying!

can someone explain in detail the join as you go method? how many motifs do you make first before you begin to "join as you go?" It seems to me that you will eventually end up with a shape that is not four sided, like an L shape, or a + shape. How do you go about "joining as you go" when you have a shape like this?

I'll do my best to try.

Make motif #1. All sides are the same, but for ease of discussion of the assembly let's call the top (T), the right ®, the bottom (B) and the left (L).

Make your 2nd motif through round 2. Now begin round 3. sl st in to ch-4 sp, ch 3, dc2tog, ch2, sl st to center of ch-4 sp in the top left corner of motif #1, ch2, dc3tog, (ch2, sl st to next ch-4 sp on motif #1 top (1T), ch 2, sc in next ch-4 sp) 3 times, ch2, sl st to next ch-4 sp on motif #1 top (1T), ch 2, dc3tog, ch2, sl st to center of ch-4 sp at the top right corner of motif #1, ch2, dc3tog...

at this point you have joined th top of motif #1 (1T) with the bottom of motif # 2 (2B).

Finish round 3 of motif #2 as written.

Then make your 3rd motif and join its bottom (3B) to the top of #2 (2T).

Then make your 4th motif and join its right side (4R) to #1's left side (1L).

Then make your 5th motif and join its bottom (5B) to top of 4 (4T) and join 5R to 2L.

The make your 6th motif and join 6B to 5T and 6R to 3L.

For the sizes S, M & L you would now have a front panel.

Does this make any sense to you?

I love Patons Divine, will you let me know how it works with this pattern, that is the yarn I was considering trying!

Mrs. Principal, I think that patons divine is super for the sweater. I have already made three mofits and I have the correct gauge using this yarn and the recommeded hook.

Also a big thank you to flyinghooks for explaining the join as you go method.

i also am using divine, and having no problem. I priced the other at our speciality yarn shop, and said forget it!, then i saw the divine, and it is really similar, and the content is similar also. i chose the lavender

Archived