Beautiful Sweater - Floral Fantasy Pullover

flyinghooks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still haven't gotten my yarn. I was going to try and use the new Romance yarn, but can't seem to find it in any of the stores around here, so I think I'll go with the Patons Divine.

Ginny, Thank you so much for posting the join as you go instructions. :hug That will be a big help once I get started!

romance is soooo expensive. It was 20 a ball at the yarn shop downtowa, and my size called for two balls. I'm using the patons divine, and it's working nicely, and at only $5 a ball, the price is right. I'll probobly need about 4 balls

I'm so weak. I had to go to Michaels to get one more ball of yarn for the other CAL I'm going to finish tonight. While I was there I spotted the Patons Divine and I fell in love. I bought two balls of the baby blue color.

I was going to try to finish my shawl I've been doing forever, but I just HAD to have this yarn. :)

My fiance is going to kill me. He's been getting this look lately when I pull my projects out like "crocheting again???" :hook

haha

So, I'll probably start this sometime this weekend. I'm hoping it works up as fast as everyone is saying. :lol

I have a question for you more-experienced-crocheters...

I was looking at the picture of the sweater, and I was trying to decide what size to make. Generally, I wear a small on top. The problem is, I don't have a small "backside". :lol

I noticed the measurements for the small were for a 34 inch chest measurement...but what about my hips? If you look at the diagram it says 17, which totals 34 when doubled.

So, without having a measuring tape here at work, I used a flat ruler. If I measured right, my hips are 36. I started thinking. This might be something that needs to be considered if my hips are more than 34, I might need to make a medium, won't I? Or does it stretch? Do I want it to stretch?

I don't have alot of experience making wearables, and I thought if I was wondering about this, someone else might need to think about it, too...so I thought I'd post it.

Am I thinking about this the right way? It doesn't look like it goes TOO far down the hips, but...maybe...I need a measuring tape. :lol

I was looking at the picture of the sweater, and I was trying to decide what size to make. Generally, I wear a small on top. The problem is, I don't have a small "backside". :lol

So, without having a measuring tape here at work, I used a flat ruler. If I measured right, my hips are 36. I started thinking. This might be something that needs to be considered if my hips are more than 34, I might need to make a medium, won't I? Or does it stretch? Do I want it to stretch?

Am I thinking about this the right way? It doesn't look like it goes TOO far down the hips, but...maybe...I need a measuring tape. :lol

OK, you crack me up with the flat ruler. :lol

First I don't think this goes too far down the hips, but it depends how tall you are.

Second, the yarn will prbably stretch enough to accommodate an inch if tha's all we're talking.

Third, this pattern is really flexible since the smallest 3 sizes use the same # of motifs the difference is just how many rows you put in the side gussets and at the top for the shoulder.. If when assembling, you feel it needs to be wider at the hips you can make the entire side gusset the width for the medium or we can be creative and figure out a way to widen the gusset only at the bottom .

I'm in the same boat, just upside down and bigger :lol - the concern is I'm tall with broad shoulders, so I'm making the medium but considering the shoulders of the large .

We'll figure it out!

I usually crack myself up, too. :D:lol

I see what you mean about the sides. I think that's a good idea. I'll do the join as you go method and keep my eye on the side gussets.

I finished my other CAL last night and I'm wearing it today (Victorias Secret Skirt) :yay :yay :yay

So far everyone has said such nice things about it. I need to get a picture posted. I'm pretty excited. It's the first wearable (other than a couple of ponchos) that I've made and I can't believe it came out right! :lol

I can't wait to start on the sweater. I brought my yarn to work with me and I'm going to do a bit on my lunch hour. :cheer

I started this sweater over the weekend, and made 3 1/2motifs. I'm trying the "join as you go" method, but having some trouble when I'm joining a motif on two sides. I mean that when I get to the intersection of 4 motifs, it starts to look odd right at that center part. Where 4 motifs come together, as I'm joining the fourth one, and I've just finished the first side, I get to the intersection of 4 motifs and I'm not sure how to proceed on that corner join. I don't join the corner to all 3 existing motifs, do I? I've tried a few variations on the corner and it always looks funny. I've never done any join as you go before, so I'm kind of stuck!

I started this sweater over the weekend, and made 3 1/2motifs. I'm trying the "join as you go" method, but having some trouble when I'm joining a motif on two sides. I mean that when I get to the intersection of 4 motifs, it starts to look odd right at that center part. Where 4 motifs come together, as I'm joining the fourth one, and I've just finished the first side, I get to the intersection of 4 motifs and I'm not sure how to proceed on that corner join. I don't join the corner to all 3 existing motifs, do I? I've tried a few variations on the corner and it always looks funny. I've never done any join as you go before, so I'm kind of stuck!

OK - I'll have to try another 4 motif join to check myself, but this is what I think I did:

You have 4 squares, you joined #2 to #1 and then #3 to an adjacent side of #2 so the 4th square is going to complete the larger square. At the corner that is the intersection of all 4 motifs, when making #2 I joined that corner to corner on motif #1. When making #3 I joined it's corner to corner of motif #2. When making #4 I actually join its corner twice, to corner of #3 and corner of #1 (#4's next-door neighbors) I do not join the corner of motif #4 to the corner of motif #2 (diagonal neighbor).

Make any sense?

Well, I guess I'll have to count me in on this too as I bought 6 balls of the coral Patons Divine for this sweater. I was in Michael's getting yarn for something else, and there was that lovely yarn - and in the coral that everyone always complements me on when I wear that color. So what else could I do but buy it? I made one motif with the suggested hook and my gauge is good. But I have the same "backside" problem - smaller on top than bottom. Think I'll do the size small, but do the bottom half of the side gussets in the size medium if I need to....;)

Have to finish that shawl for my mom, that Short N Sweet bolero to take on vacation next month, line a few bags, and finish D2, D3 and D4 from the Victorias Secret CAL, but who could resist such a quick and pretty project? :yes

I tried to use the Patons Divine again last night....I finished row 2 of the first motif and this thing looks like a hairy baby-blue spider. It's puffy, fuzzy...I just don't think it's supposed to look like that....

It doesn't lay flat at all and I see so much more definition in the picture, than I see in my motif...I can't even tell where the corners are, the petals don't lay flat...

Is anyone else having this same problem with the Divine? I'm taking it back today, I think. I'll try something else. Maybe two strands of something held together, instead. Maybe with a novelty yarn thrown in...I'll have to see what I can find. I'm just really disappointed in this yarn. :no

Am I doing something wrong??

I tried to use the Patons Divine again last night....I finished row 2 of the first motif and this thing looks like a hairy baby-blue spider. It's puffy, fuzzy...I just don't think it's supposed to look like that....

It doesn't lay flat at all and I see so much more definition in the picture, than I see in my motif...I can't even tell where the corners are, the petals don't lay flat...

Is anyone else having this same problem with the Divine? I'm taking it back today, I think. I'll try something else. Maybe two strands of something held together, instead. Maybe with a novelty yarn thrown in...I'll have to see what I can find. I'm just really disappointed in this yarn. :no

Am I doing something wrong??

I can't speak directly to the yarn. I'm using 2 strands of Sirdar Salsa DK.

But, I can tell you that mine is a pink fluffy spider until I join the motifs. With each round the motif has a little more definittion but only whenjoined together or laid out as if to block does the pattern definition appear.

HTH

Just a progress post in my blog if anyone wants to see (photos too)

http://flyinghooks.blogspot.com/2006/10/floral-fantasy-pullover-progress.html

oh - I also just thought of something. For those wanting the bottom of the sweater a little wider, we could try using motif B - the larger motif designed to make the sleeves flare. That might be an answer...

Archived