Beautiful Sweater - Floral Fantasy Pullover

flyinghooks

How long are the petals on your motifs? I'd like to try using Moda Dea Dream, but it's not bulky enough. I was thinking if I just do extra chains on the petals, I could make the squares the proper size...

What do you all think?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long are the petals on your motifs? I'd like to try using Moda Dea Dream, but it's not bulky enough. I was thinking if I just do extra chains on the petals, I could make the squares the proper size...

What do you all think?

Maybe try double strand? I'm using 2 strands of very fuzzy DK yarn, a 7mm hook and the squares are about 7.25" instead of 7.5 inches. I figure I'll follow the large (instead of medium) side gusset & shoulder instructions to make up the difference - following the schematics.

Did you try a motif with double strand?

I'll retrieve my yarn from the car in a minute and measure for you ....

I thought about the double strand, but the yarn is so expensive I was worried it would take alot that way.

I realized last night I have some beautiful yellow boucle at home that I could use, too, and that's the right weight....

Maybe I'll try that. (boy, I'm getting behind on this CAL) :(

I thought about the double strand, but the yarn is so expensive I was worried it would take alot that way.

I realized last night I have some beautiful yellow boucle at home that I could use, too, and that's the right weight....

Maybe I'll try that. (boy, I'm getting behind on this CAL) :(

You're never behind!! People can join us any time!!

I understand about the expense of doubling the yarn. I was lucky I had 12 skeins in my stash of this yarn that I bought on clearance for $1.00/skein

I'm going very slowly on this project - hardly any time to crochet, so I just finished my first panel of 6 motifs, and I see frogging in my future!

My problem is the join as you go method. The first time I joined a motif on two sides, I struggled with it many different ways, and tried following Ginny's instructions, but it came out strange. So I invented my own way, then put it down for a few days and forgot how I did it!

Now I just joined another motif on two sides, and used Ginny's method. It looks perfect! Much better than my invention. So I guess I will frog the joining rounds of a few motifs so it will all be the same. I'm learning a lot with this project, but slowly.

Not sure where I went wrong before, why it didn't work... But it could have been the distracting influence of kids and husband, while today I have the day off, on my own at home.

Ginny, I have a possibly silly question about the join as you go method. In your instructions, sometimes you slip stitch, and sometimes you sc into the ch 4 space. But I'm not sure why?

The easiest answer is that I sc to the motif I'm actually still crocheting and I sl st to the previously completed motif to which I am joining.

Why I do this is a little harder to explain. Assuming we're working on motif 2 and joining it to the previously completed motif 1. If we were working with an odd number of chains in the loops - like a chain 5 loop, I would *sc in ch-5 loop of motif 2, ch2, sc in ch-5 loop of motif 1, ch2, * and repeat * to *, In this case the sc, in effect replaces one of the chains of the ch-5 loop.

When we have a loop that is an even number like this pattern's ch-4 loop, I prefer to use a sl st to join and still keep ch2 on either side of the sl st. I pull the sl st kind of tightly - I think it's a smaller stitch than a sc and doesn't change the ch-4 loop into a ch-5 loop. I think if I used a sc when I joined, and did *sc in ch-4 loop of motif 2, ch2, sc in ch-4 loop of motif 1, ch2, * and repeat, that motif 2 would in effect have a ch-5 loop.

Does this make sense?

I'm just anal about trying to keep things looking even.

I'm glad it worked out for you the 2nd time. And yes it's much easier to join without distractions! Good Luck!

How's everyone doing? I'll have to take some more pictures, but I've finished the front & back panels complete with side gussets. I even put them together so it looks like a vest (I know I shouldn't have - I usually prefer to do the sides seams from arn all the way to the bottom edge at once - oh well). I've also have two sets of 4 squares assembled for the arms. I need to decide whether to make motifs A or B to finish the sleeves...:think they're pretty big as is with the underarm gussets. I may be modifying these too - I can never leave a pattern alone!

Back to hooking!

I only have 2 done so far, using the join as you go method. But I'm loving the look of the coral Divine yarn! :manyheart The DH and I are leaving for Honolulu on the 26th, so I'm planning on taking it with me. 5 hours there, and 5 back - I should be able to get some crocheting done! ;)

I've been sidetracked by a combination of 2 things. I've been working on some gifts for a baby that will be born very soon. I'm finishing up the baby's abcs blanket - http://www.crochetnmore.com/babysabcsafghan.htm

time consuming and fairly mindless crochet.

And the second delay is that it always takes me a while to recover from frogging! Once I figured out how to do the "join as you go" properly, I had to frog back the joining rounds of 5 of my six squares. I can't seem to jump right back into it after frogging. Thank you, Ginny, for your good explanations that clarified the join as you go. The use of slip stitch vs. single crochet does make sense.

I'm really wondering about the collar. On the LB photo, it seems to lie flat, as though the motifs at the back of the neck were not sewn together. If the four motifs are sewn together into a tube, wouldn't the collar stand up a lot more?

I'm really wondering about the collar. On the LB photo, it seems to lie flat, as though the motifs at the back of the neck were not sewn together. If the four motifs are sewn together into a tube, wouldn't the collar stand up a lot more?

I agree. I have the same concerns. Especially since there's no difference to the collar between the S-M-L sizes and the shoulder shaping is larger. I've made the collar, but did NOT join the 4th motif back to the first one right away. I plan to attach it with the opening in the back center, then pin it together with stitch markers, if it doesn't lie flat, then I'll be creating yet another gusset creation!

I finished the back (or front) of the sweater, I hope to get a sleeve and the front done this week!

sounds great - hope to see some progress photos!

btw - my progress can be seen here

i would love to make this sweater! my MIL just sent me about 15 skeins of a mohair wool blend in blue and bluegreen colors and i had NO idea what to make with it until i seen this sweater! I am scared though because I am very new to crocheting and it says experienced! Is it possible for a beginner to make this??

i would love to make this sweater! my MIL just sent me about 15 skeins of a mohair wool blend in blue and bluegreen colors and i had NO idea what to make with it until i seen this sweater! I am scared though because I am very new to crocheting and it says experienced! Is it possible for a beginner to make this??

I think so - especially with a CAL to help you along! :clap The motifs themselves are pretty straight forward. Read through the posts about joining them as you go. If you can do that I think you'll be in great shape!

I finished the last motif (join-as-you-go style) last night! :clap:cheer:clap

LOOK LOOK LOOK!!

Now I have to work on the underarm gussets and attach sleeves and still figure out the neck.

In case you're wondering...earlier when I had finished the front & back panels and their side gussets, I was so excited to join then (as-you-go, of course) I did just that without thinking that I really prefer to join from sleeve/wrist to sweater bottom/waist in one motion - oh well - I'll make it work.

How's everyone else doing?

I finished the last motif (join-as-you-go style) last night! Now I have to work on the underarm gussets and attach sleeves and still figure out the neck.......How's everyone else doing?

Your sweater is going to be just be just sooooo beautiful !!!! Love the color.

I am really bummed. I was stitching together my front/back pieces and realized that I had sewn them the wrong way. I hope that I can rip out the sewed yarn and re-use the motifs. If not I have to do them over again. :ohdear

Flying hooks, yours looks so great!!! :clap

What yarn are you using?

I am really bummed. I was stitching together my front/back pieces and realized that I had sewn them the wrong way. I hope that I can rip out the sewed yarn and re-use the motifs. If not I have to do them over again. :ohdear

oH NO! Did it work?

Flying hooks, yours looks so great!!! :clapWhat yarn are you using?

My yarn is Sirdar Salsa DK - using 2 strands.

Anyone still working on this? How's it going? I had to put it down for awhile, I was getting frustrated.

I'm still here... I got majorly sidetracked and haven't touched it in a week. I need to sit down at home and assemble the sleeves and do the side gussets - it's no longer the "at the soccer game" kind of crochet project. Maybe tomorrow night I'll get back to it.

I really want to do this, but I have to wait until I can get the yarn. I don't know when that will be. *sigh* I am really excited to see how yours turn out though!

Archived