Never thread crocheted before...help! :)

Marlena

Well i've made afghans and scarves and babyghans (mostly) in the past but I have never thread crocheted before.

I wanted to make bookmarks for my babyshower in March and figured I better get started so they won't look too terrible when I go to pass them out! ;)

SOOO any advice? Suggestions on needle size/thread brands or sizes ? I haven't looked TOO much for a book mark pattern but I saw this one and thought it looked pretty.

http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/2006/05/fan-bookmark.html

If you have a better suggestion that would be appreciated too! Yikes Im scared...lol...

Theres nothing to be afraid of, really :hook

I was a bit wary of trying thread crochet at first, too. But it really is the same, just smaller. If you start with size 10 thread, for bookmarks you can use anything from a size 5 hook to a size 7. Bookmarks are a good place to start. Good luck!

I think bookmarks are great place to get use to thread.

I found the I did the best using #10 thread with #5 or #6 steel hook at first.

check this link out here for lots of bookmark patterns.

Here are the links to my favorites:

columbine

star flower and lady bug bookmark links

Another tip. When I make the bookmarks with a motif at the end and call for a long chain and tell you to crochet into them. I do an xtra long chain then slip st back to the motif.

Like this bookmark here:

another flower

My advice is to be sure to block them when you are done. That gives them a crisp finish, but doesn't have to be brick hard. For bookmarks I use spray starch on the wet piece and pin them onto a lined board.

Thread is smaller, but after you practice on one bookmark, you will get the hang of it! And I like to use a 7 hook. Good luck and I'd love to see the ones you decide to make!

Ladies I think I just fell in love with crocheting all over again :hook:c9

I have the bookmark about half way done... and it is so pretty ... Opens up a world of options to make, and I'm glad I have such good advice here.

TXCrochetLover thanks for the advice! I will post a pic when I'm done :)

Thread crochet provides so many opportunities to continue with our favorite pasttime when yarn gets too expensive. Guess that's why I like it. I've just started branching out from Barbie clothes...trying coasters and doilies and hope to try filet crochet, also.:)

Sounds like another thready in the making.

What I like about thread, is that you can make almost anything in thread that you can make with yarn. Just on a smaller scale. I like doing the stuffedanimals in thread. I think they are so much cutier on a smaller scale.:hook

Archived