What's up at Wal-mart?

Yearnin' for Yarn

I was at Walmart tonight, and they had four shopping carts full of yarn on clearance . . . a lot of the fun fur and other novelty yarns, some homespun, almost all of the bernat yarns---bright colored softee chunkee, cottontots, baby yarn, and some red heart baby yarn. I got some softee chunkee (a varigated) for $1/skein; I really wanted the cottontots--$3/skein, but hubby was already complaining about how much we were spending on other stuff.

They haven't touched the RH SS collection, but have cleared out a lot of homespun, Lion Boucle, Bernat, and baby yarns. I have seen some new unpriced yarn on the very top shelf, so I guess they must be getting new yarn selection; they just did this about 3-4 months ago.

I was hoping if they did it again they would get rid of more of the RH and get more selection of other brands, but it looks to me like they are bringing in some new RH yarns (something called Strata yarn and some of the newer RH novelty yarns).

Does anyone know what they are doing for sure? I'm going to be so sad if they don't carry Cottontots anymore. :( Or homespun . . .

Nicole

Wal-Mart has a way of clearancing out what they don't think sells well enough or fast enough. They all get deals from certain suppliers and that may be why they do away with some brands. They have RH made just for them as a company also..that is why some of their Rh is rougher to the touch than others.

We have a new walmart and I noticed they stocked very little of any yarn. Our other walmart has always carried a nice selction, however, desperate for a certain color I went to this walmart to find they too were getting rid of all their yarns. This was about a month ago. I try not to buy yarn at walmart unless i really have to.

We have a Walmart Supercenter that opened less than a year ago. Awhile ago, they had a huge bin of all kinds of yarn on clearance, and a few weeks ago I stopped in to find they have downsized the entire yarn department to a half or a third of what it was. I get no answers to questions at that store, so I have no idea why. But I do know that I disapprove enough of Walmart's corporate behavior that I do not need to shop there anymore -- especially now.

I don't know whether this downsizing is a nationwide trend or not. I'm in a large metro area. Maybe it won't happen in smaller towns.

My Wal-mart will be moving to a new location to Supersize, so it seems like their whole craft area right now is being downsized. :( There is hardly any yarn in the bins at all. And their Clearance prices are about what Hobby Lobby normally charges. So I am a bit bummed!:rant

I am wondering what the new store will have, and it will be clear on the other end of town. I don't know how often I will go.

Linda:manyheart

After reading that some of you were told they wouldn't be carrying these yarns anymore, I went BACK to walmart today as I made the Seija Blanket (from Happy Hooker) for my baby cousin in Feb. and was going to wait until this winter to make the matching hat; the yarn was in the clearance bin, and when I went back today, it was gone. :( Oh well.

I also bought up the colors I liked of the Cottontots. Right now it does look like they are drastically reducing their selection, and that sucks as it is the only place in town that sells yarn.

Nicole

Archived