Weekend Square-A-Long!!! :O)

LavenderBear

Yesterday, I completed 30 - 4 inch squares. I didn't have school so I put in a movie that I have already seen and spent that time crocheting. The movie was in Russian so I got some new words learned but since I had seen it in English I didn't need to actually watch... wonder what movie I should use today!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't feel bad Scc I never even got started yesterday I was so busy the beginning half of the day that I ended up having to take a long nap in the afternoon then got stuck doing more running with the b/f. Hopefully I'll get some done today though

As I sat down with my big drawer of scrap yarn & hook, I was thinking what a nice way to spend my normally very quiet weekend. I only got about a half a dozen done in between the doorbell & phone calls. So, going to give it another try today :)

Also, could anyone suggest a charity that can use these squares? I have been unable to find any locally. Thanks.

Alosha

Well, Alosha, Jimmi Lu is doing a ministry challenge squares of 6 inch squares, it's posted under charity crocheting.

I'm using my squares for blankets and scarves for underpriviliged kids in my town.

I'm sure there are places, near you, that could use squares or even blankets -- how about a local church or craft group. Maybe check with a craft store about the warm up america squares? How about checking with a nearby school -- the school nurses usually know the families that are in need.

Alosha, have you checked out Project Linus? I have given to them before. When we were living with my inlaws in New Mexico. I found an ad for them in Hobby Lobby.

http://www.projectlinus.org/index.shtml

I have been laying around all day watching movies cuz I am sick... I made 44 more 4 inch squares so I am up to 74. I know they are the wrong size for the contest... I am just enjoying seeing how many I can get done this weekend!

Alosha,

I was an Area Volunteer for Warming Families for three years! I know one of the things I collected was different sized squares for future afghans. I went to their web site (warmingfamilies.org) and I got this California Area Volunteer's info. I don't know if she collects squares, but it would be neat to help out an organization right there in your state!

Lorraine Macaulay- Desert Knolls Convalescent Hospital- Slippers, Lap robes and Shawls. New Borns In Need- Baby and Preemie items such as Sweaters, Booties, Hats, Afagan, Quilts, Burp Towels, Bibs.

How is everyone coming along?! I will be working on my squares tonight since we had our garage sale, ran errands, and ended up not feeling well this afternoon and had to lie down for a nap! I don't take those very often, but boy did I need it!!

Anyway, tell us how you are coming along with your squares! From what I've read above, some of you are REALLY getting into this square-a-long!! I can't wait to see how many squares, all sizes, we have completed as a group!

On that note, I better get my hiney into gear!!! :woo

Alosha...look under the "crochet for charity" threads here at the Ville.

I am the founder of a charity, and it is listed there, but I want to be fair, and let you decide where to send the squares. There are plenty of people who would gladly welcome those squares!

OKay...LOL I am NOT officially joining any more of these until I get fast enough (more experienced) :D

Anyway...I got 20 done. I had fun doing it, and gained some experience, so it was worth it. Thanks again for suggesting the CAL

i didnt get any done yesterday since my boyfriend was driving my car and i was too scared to take my eyes off the road. I did make loads of flowers when i got home though. Again, i know that doesnt count :)

I am done for the night I think. I am finishing up one last square as I sit at the computer. I have been laying around not feeling like doing much ( this cold is slowing me down!) so I only got 11 new 4inch squares. That brings my total to 85. I have enough to make a baby blanket 7squares by 10 squares. And the others I will use for another project. Thanks for starting this. I don't think I would have done so much if this were not my first challenge.

I made 30 flowers, 24 circles and 10 6in granny squares, and its not even been a very productive weekend :) it was nice to know that everyone else was out there crocheting too :)

Hello! I am taking a break from my square making and thought I would post where I am at this time! I had hoped to get more done by now, but I've had other responsibilities to take care of in between, and not all of them planned! :yes

Anyway, I have made these and for the following charities:

6 - 6" Squares (C'Ville Charity Squares)

5 - 7" Squares (C'Ville Baby Afghan)

5 - 8" Squares (Local Foster Care Afghan)

2 - 12" Squares (C'Ville Comfortghan)

I will be making more 6" squares for the rest of the evening . . . after I eat dinner! This tummy is grumbly! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! LOL!

We're at the tail end of our square-a-long challenge, and I can't wait to see everyone post how they've done!! :cheer

Please be sure and post your TOTAL squares at the end or YOUR Sunday, and let me know how many are charity squares if you plan to participate in the FREE YARN PACKAGE part of our square-a-long! I will be posting the winner tomorrow night and will ask for the snail mail addy to be sent via PM at that time! And as an added note, and I say this with a GREAT BIG SMILE ON MY FACE, we are ALL winners with our square making, whether we make/made squares for charity or not!!!!!!!!! Yeaaaaaaaaaaah!! :yay

Be back later with my total!!

Well, time to stop for the night. My count for the entire weekend is:

:hook 40 - 7 1/2 inch squares and 8 - 4 1/2 inch squares :cheer:clap

So, depending on how I put the larger squares together that will be :think 4 or 5 blankets for the underprivileged kids in my town through a group called Payson Community Kids. The smaller squares, I'll don't have enough yet for a blanket, but once I do , it'll go to the same place. Of course, I'll be making more squares until it starts to cool off a bit. It's too hot to put together even small blankets.

Thank you LavenderBear for starting the Square-A-Long. It gave me a really good start on the squares.

Okay, here are my totals!! Although I had hoped to do a good handful more, I am HAPPY with what I've made overall! :yay Every little square helps, no matter who or what you are making it for, right?! :yes

12 - 6" Squares (C'Ville Charity Squares)

5 - 7" Squares (C'Ville Baby Afghan)

5 - 8" Squares (Local Foster Care Afghan)

2 - 12" Squares (C'Ville Comfortghan)

TOTAL = 24 CHARITY SQUARES

I am keeping a tally of the totals starting with Linda's (pineknott) and will announce the winner Monday night!! And, again, we are ALL winners in this CAL if we even made ONE SQUARE, for or not for charity!! :clap

Sweet dreams to those of us who are hitting the sheets soon!!! :hug

Hello! Where did everyone go?! Did you post your totals - charity and otherwise?! Please do so very soon as the night is nearly over and I would like to ship out the FREE YARN PACKAGE to the winner of the greatest number of charity squares made!

I hid all of the ends on the charity squares I've made and have them in envelopes ready to ship out tomorrow (minus a few of them I am using for a foster baby afghan I'm making here)! :manyheart

Speak up SOON!!!! And let me know if you'd like to do this again in the near future?!

I would have loved to join this :manyheart and will watch for it when it goes again :yes

Got home yesterday from a family vacation

Good thought on doing them for charity:c9

Great work everyone!!:cheer:clap :clap :cheer

Archived