Have you ever sold your work?

I have made some pretty (if I say so myself!) baby blankets and a lot of people who see them always say, "Oh, you could make a lot of money selling these"....I just smile....but now I am wondering, Could I?

Who would buy them? How do you all sell your work, if you do? I love to crochet in the evenings to unwind from a long day at work....It might be nice to make a couple extra bucks.

What do you think?

:shrug

I sell my work sometimes. But my personal opinion is, you have to find the right niche, or you really don't make that much. You have to find something to make and an "audience" to sell it to. It also has to "pay off" enough for you to be satisfied.

I made a beautiful victorian sweater for my youngest daughter last year, and a few moms stopped me to ask where I bought it..when I said I made it..they freaked! I ended up making/selling three more sweater/hat sets. I didn't tell them a price, I just said whatever you feel it's worth (since I knew them well and trusted they would be fair). Ended up bringing in $135 each set!!! Now, I'm making a baby set for a friend..not sure on the price yet..I'm thinking around $65 but we'll see. I have also taught my neighbor to crochet...made $45 on that.

There is money out there, but you really have to try. You and your family are the best "advertisments" for your handiwork, I think.

Good luck!

Donna :artist

I have one...but I have yet to figure out how to post photos here! :bang I'm so computer :thinking2

I can email it to you personally though, lol Best I can do until I figure it out!!!! Just send me an email and I'll get it out!

Donna

There is money to be made out there. It's just finding the right thing. I haven't had to many (Although I've had some) Instock sales. But I have had some custom ordered afghans. They ran $135. I'm not sure if I should get more for them or not. It differs a bit with size and yarn of course, but normally a "two person" afghan.

I have noticed that everyone loves the baby stuff, but sales aren't the best. Hope you find your nich!

Amber

Guest lillian1969

I have sold alot through a shop owned by a couple I know.I give them 30 % of what it sells for.Because they have the rent and ect. on the shop I thinks its pretty fair.I make money for every project sold and I also except custom orders on projects if the people are frequent customers.One thing I never sell is afghans I put too much time in on them .I always give away afghans as gifts to people I love and care about:w-snow

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just getting started advertising and trying to sell some things that I've crocheted.. so far so good. But one thing I did notice is that on Ebay items sell for next to nothing.. or don't sell at all. Has anyone else noticed this?

I agree with that :) Also some of the stuff I've seen on Ebay just looks natty :blush not at all something I'd pay the prices they want to get on there. I saw one panel afghan that the panels were obviously not even the same length.. not something I'd try to sell for sure.. I've got 2 or three here that I messed up, but only realized it well into the pattern.. so they just stay on my couch or on the beds in the winter.. still warm :D! but definitely not something I'd even give away to someone :ohdear

Archived