Stumbleupon - Join us!

NexStitch

Is anyone else using FireFox as their internet browser (rather than Internet Explorer)? If so, you can download a toolbar that's automatically placed at the top of your window when you browse the internet. The toolbar is called, "Stumbleupon." When you're surfing, you can give web pages/sites the "Thumbs up" or "Thumbs down" to signify you like/dislike them.

There are also social groups you can join. They even have one for knitting/crochet! This is it: http://knittingcrochet.group.stumbleupon.com/. You can search for other knitting/crochet sites too. It's a great way to find other sites within a certain category that you may never have come across otherwise.

If you're interested in stumbling, check out this page for how to get FireFox:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/central/

And then see this page to download the toolbar:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/

The other advantage is that there is NO ADWARE OR SPYWARE in the software.

Super! Yes, it's great for business, but it's also a lot of fun finding new sites. You get to be "friends" with people and see what they like. You can join groups that discuss topics. You can send messages to people. I enjoy it. You can also save pages and images that you like and share them with others.

I've had stumbleupon for a while. Don't use it much, not that I don't like it, but dialup is a pain in general for websurfing.

When I first got it, there weren't a lot of knitters using it and I could get it to show me lots of crochet places, but now it seems to be more heavily skewed to Knitting and wool. Which have their places, but neither one is something I'm interested in.

Ah well.. I'll just put it on my pc at work in the fall and get things skewed back the other way. :hook

I downloaded it this morning and went stumbling...didn't find any crochet sites though...must need to do something different. :think It is pretty neat only I spent 40 minutes looking at sites and not doing housework or crocheting. :(

Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't live without Firefox after using it for so long and I love some of the add-ons they offer. I just installed StumbleUpon and it's neat. Haven't played with it too much yet but it looks really cool! THANKS! :hook

woops! According to wikipedia...

"Advertising --

StumbleUpon uses knowledge of user preferences to deliver

targeted advertising. A small proportion of the 'stumbles'

users come across (typically less than 2%) are sponsored

pages matching their topics of interest. For example,

those signed up for photography will occasionally see an

ad related to photography. Such content is vetted by

humans for "quality and relevance" prior to its delivery.

Paid accounts have a variety of options, including the

ability to turn off such advertising."

I may reconsider...

Lene'

It just means that every once in awhile someone gives a thumbs up to their site in an unrelated category. I usually report those links and they get removed. It hasn't been a problem.

Glad to see other stumblers joining!

Edited to add: And I've been going around and thumbing up croceht sites too. We do need to be better represented there. You can thumb up anything, even a blog that's cool.

I love Stumble! I've been using it for quite a while. It's helpful for all kinds of categories to find fun and different sites. I have a blast with it and so does my bf.

Once you've installed it, click on "menu", the drop down will have a selection for "update topics". There you can update it so it will only show specific topics if you'd like.

Have fun!

Archived