Fillet Crochet Help - Please . . .

Crocus58

This is my first attempt at Fillet Crochet - I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it came out more rectangle than square (9x10 after blocking) - I used a #8 Hook and size 10 thread. The directions called for size 30 thread, and did not specify a hook size. Since I'm new to thread, 10 is about as small as I can go. Should I use a larger hook? Adjust my tension? Help :(

ThreadCrochet008.jpg

Next time I'll put a cloth over the wood table - sorry!

I am totally new so I can't offer help, but I can offer an uplifting tid bit....I sat and stared at this for about 5 min and couldn't tell it was "off". I think it looks great, good job! (I'm to scared to even think about thinking about thread crochet!!!!)

If you really want your piece square you need to use an extended double crochet. It's my favorite stitch for filet work. Here are my instructions for the stitch.

edc = Extended Double Crochet which is done in this manner, Begin normal double crochet till three loops on hook instead of yo and drawing though 2 loops yo and draw thought 1 loop, you will still have 3 loops on your hook when you have done this, proceed to finish the stitch in the normal manner. This will give you a slightly longer than normal dc, This stitch works wonderfully for filet work.

My first reaction to your photo was that it looked square to me...it really, really, really looks great...beautiful job. I don't think you did anything wrong at all.

Been crocheting for about 50 yrs. & I can tell you that it is beautiful. Doesn't look as if you've done anything wrong. Filet does come out very slightly rectangular but that extended dc described by Kathy G sounds like it may be a good fix.

Thank you to everyone - :manyheart you guys are wonderful!

I thought that this was supposed to be square, because the pattern and photo with the pattern showed a square. If I was doing something wrong, I wanted to correct it while I was still learning, rather than getting set in my ways, the wrong way:devil . For my purposes it really does not matter if it is not a perfect square. My plan is to make several in different colors and create curtains/sheers for the living room (replace a solid color machine sheer).

Thank you extra special :flower for the long double stitch directions! I'll try that on the next piece!

Yeah and thank you Katchkan for the extended dc lesson...I'm gonna try that for my next filet project...

Archived