crochet vs knitting

Guest NCAugeriFan

Guest NCAugeriFan

Some folks prefer crochet over knitting,

Some prefer knitting over crochet,

Some like to crochet and knit...

I know a lady (she now lives in Tennessee) has been crocheting 50 years and her projects are gorgeous. I asked her about knitting and she does not like knitting...she'll do any type of craft but knitting. She showed me one time the crochet "knit stitch".

I'm curious for those of you who chose and prefer crochet over knitting (and you don't knit)...what made you choose crochet as the yarn craft of choice?

I think for me it is the using of one crochet hook vs. two long needles. Someone tried to show me how to knit and it was difficult for me to work with 2 needles and yarn. One lady at work knits and she said she would show me (she doesn't crochet). I told her I had trouble casting on...and she said that she always cast on for people in the beginning and once they learn how to knit...then they learn how to cast on. Isn't that backwards? :thinking2

I would like to read your thoughts about this.

Thanks.

Cadie

I learned to knit first. I loved casting...it was the first thing I learned! I never progressed past just basic knitting though...only had 2 needles, only made a simple scarf.

I was then introduced to crocheting. It took me a tad longer to get the hang of it. I quickly switched from yarn to thread, because I love doilies and light clothing and dainty flowers.

Why do I chose to crochet over knitting? I love thread, and there aren't a ton of things to knit with thread. I love doilies, and they're much easier to crochet than knit. If a needle comes out of a knit project, that's big trouble, but no problem if your hook slips out by mistake.

That's my :twocents

The main reason I love crochet best is that I'm better at it :lol Also it's so versatile--you can do just about anything. (Could be true for knitting, too, but I definitely can't do much with knitting just yet...)

About three or four years ago, I decided I wanted to learn to crochet and knit. I picked up crochet pretty easily, but I could not get the hang of knitting at all. (I'm not very coordinated, and I had the worst time getting my fingers and both needles to work together.)

Lately I've been learning to knit and having more success at it than before, but I'm not very good at it yet. I'd like to get better at it--there are things that I love the look of in knit--but crochet is so much simpler and faster for me that I think it'll always be my favorite.

I am a beginner at both, and which kind of project I choose has a lot to do with my mood. I find crochet to be faster, so when I am looking for something that I will be able to finish in a few days that's what I choose.

And it's true that if the single hook falls out of the work it is easier to remedy than losing stitches from a knitting needle. And going back to rip out stitches in crochet is easy; but it's not as easy to rip out just one row of knitting.

Guest Yarnentangled

Last year I decided that since I taught myself to crochet that it was time to teach myself knitting. How hard could it be? I invested a lot of money in some really beautiful how-to knitting books.

I learned to cast on, knit, and purl. I can make a scarf but not without lots of frogging. AND believe me, frogging a knitting project is a pain in the heiny. With crochet its easy, just frog to the error and continue. Correcting a knitting error like a dropped stitch is a nightmare. You have to take the stitches off the needle, frog down to the error and then put the stitches back on the needle and make sure they're all facing the correct direction. Not only that but just putting the stitches back on the needle is scary. You can lose even more stitches....nightmare!!:th

This is why I like crochet so much more. Its easy to fix mixtakes.

I admire skilled knitters. I enjoy knitting and purling but I can't produce anything worth bragging about. Well not yet. Right now I am focusing on becoming really skilled in crochet.

I have attempted to learn to knit on more than one occasion, but haven't ever made a single thing. The farthest I've ever gotten was a few rows on a scarf, but I kept ending up with these huge loops at the end of each row. I've had knitters watch me attempt the craft and be baffled at my mysterious loops. :shrug I love the look of knit and I like that there are so many patterns available, but I just find it too frustrating.

As far as crochet, I find it fun and relaxing... even when I have to frog a project (like my current ripple ghan)... and it is so much easier working with one hook, even a long Tunisian hook, as opposed to two needles. It also seems to me that are so many more types of stitches than with knit. Now, if we just had more patterns. :D!

My :twocents

~Tricia

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms; color:purple;">For me, I just consider crochet easier. For some reason, I can look at a crochet pattern and even if it's advanced, I can figure it out (or at least wing it!) with knit, I have had trouble understanding even the easiest of instruction. That, and what most of the other ladies have already mentioned. One hook as opposed to two needles, easier to fix errors, and quicker!</span>

I just never learned to knit.. I have done it, but it didn't click with me like crocheting is.. possibly because crochet is faster and you see the progress easier.. I dunno..

Now, i see so many things to make with crochet that I'm not real interested in learning to knit... can you make all the stitches with knitting that you can with crochet?

Going back to another thread about prejudice.. I'm not against knitting lol.. just isn't my bag I guess :) If you can do it and enjoy it.. more power to you and good on ya ! :woohoo

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI have difficulty doing two things at a time. I can knit, but I don't throw the yarn like the "good" knitters do. I'm mucy slower and it's step by step.

Crocheting, to me, is one thing at a time. I can hold my left had perfectly still and and crochet just moving my right hand. It's sequential rather than a combination of right and left hand movements.

Yes, I have trouble patting my head and rubbing my tummy at the same time. :) I can do it, but I have to start with patting my head and getting that rhythm going then add the rubbing my tummy action.

I can play the piano with my right hand or my left hand but not the two at that same time.

However I can spin using a wheel. But that's just the rhythm of my foot movement and then drafting the wool. Weird..... :D

I learned to knit first...thanks to my mom. I was never very good at it. I worked on the same scarves for 7 years. I kid you not! The longest one was about 8 inches. For me it takes sooooo much longer than crochet. I just learned to crochet 4 months ago. It just clicked with me more than knitting ever did. I've made afghans, hats, scarves, slippers, bags, etc. I'm hooked!! For the first time I feel I've found something that I'm actually very good at. (<--that is not proper grammer is it?...lol)

I was surrounded by crocheting growing up and after my grandmother died when I was 6, somehow the hooks ended up with me adn years later I taught myself. A couple years ago my other grandmother tried to teach me how to knit. I just cant get the hang of the 2 things going. I'm not coordinated enough! After all I'm blond!:spina

Lanette

I am impatient and uncoordinated. I decided recently that I should know how to knit too... so I bought a learn to knit booklet, and dragged out a pair of needles that came with the huge bunch of crochet hooks I ordered off ebay a while back. I taught myself to cast on... after 7 hours of cussing and throwing things... but I did it. Sitting at the computer with videos from Stitch Guide.com and my little booklet. Then I taught myself how to knit... what is it the stocking stitch or something? Another 3-4 hours of cussing and flinging. I managed it though. I started a scarf... it's got about 6 inches. Nice thick yarn too, I thought it'd work up faster... but my dumb self used little skinny needles. I should have paid attention and used that other set... they're fatter lol. So the scarf sits in my work basket... because it took me a week to get it as long (ha) as it is. I probably won't finish it, if I'm honest about it. I set a goal to teach myself, and I did. I have 6 inches of lovely scarf to prove it. But I prefer my trusty speedy crochet hook :P

Guest NCAugeriFan

Thanks ladies! I know crochet is the best choice for me! I love using the one hook and when I do make a mistake it is easy to fix. :)h

:cheer2 CROCHET IS # 1! :cheer2

~cadie

I learned to crochet from my grandmother when I was a little girl. I've gone through spurts throughout the years, but I mostly stuck with making afghans etc.

Now I'm learning to knit and I'm loving the challenge of it.

Which do I prefer?? I think I still prefer to crochet. It's much faster and I feel more proficient...

but I like so many knitting patterns....

Oh no... I think I'm just divided.

Dawn

stamptildawn.blogspot.com

Archived