Crochet classes at Michaels

I was at Michaels yesterday and when I walked in I saw a table with crochet stuff set up for the crochet classes. Well usually I'm a total critic of my stuff I always think my stuff isn't up to par. That said OMG :eek2 whoever crocheted the things on that table :no if I didn't allready crochet that wouldn't make me want to learn. They used reg worsted yarn and there were a couple of chokers :rolleyes and a purse :shrug . Lets just say I'll be really suprised if anyone signs up for classes.

Maybe it was the yarn :shrug

That's exactly what I thought. Even if I had to buy the yarn myself I would have showcased the art much better:artist . I'm proud to be a crocheter :bow and that was just thrown together as if they just didn't care.

I am going to be teaching crochet at joanns, and believe me we are going to be making COOL stuff, our first project is a poncho that is so pretty. when i get the sample done will post pictures. michaels lose, joanns gain :woohoo :woohoo :woohoo vicki

<--- another Jo-Ann Crochet teacher. :D

(and Education Coordinator)

Jo-Ann's curriculum is nationwide, so every store offers the same projects for level I and II. The level I scarf is so nice, my first sample got stolen, so I had to make another one. Grr.

I believe Michael's is -just- getting into standardsizing their curriculum. Until recently, their teachers made up whatever they wanted (one of my knitting teachers teaches crochet at a local Michael's, so she keeps me up to speed).

suebee, how do you like that poncho for march? i am almost done with the sample, hey when i finish it can i legally post it here? let me know as i would like to show others it. i am so excited about working for joanns. DD says hey i got my mom a job!!!:rotfl told her thank you!!!! vicki

You can post a photo of your sample... if nothing else, it's a plug for the class nationwide! Always a good thing (esp for you and me! hee hee! ). I took a picture of mine, but have not uploaded it to my class listing page yet.

It's not something I personally would wear, but it's funky! I think if I were to make one for myself, I would use a smaller hook, like an N. The P just made it a little too open for my own taste.

hi great minds think alike, i switched to a N hook, asked my boss lady(which in your store is YOU) and she said what ever fits the guage, so when i told her that she said thats good, i would have done the same thing, so as i was signing up a customer, i told her that also, i guess if you crochet tight, a P would work, but i used the N as i crochet loose. thanks when i get it done will show it and plug our stores!!!!!!:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl vicki

I think I crochet a little loose, too. So maybe an N would have been a good idea. When I teach the class, I am going to suggest that to the students.

You know, I think I am going to update my supply list Wednesday and add the N as an option for students that either work loose, or want a denser fabric. I'd think, though, that if you switched to a smaller hook, you might want to pick up an extra ball of yarn... right?

I made mine with the Cara Mia... cha ching! Which yarn did you go with?

hi suebee, hi, i know what you mean about c-ching!!!!!! i was not able to use the mia cara as i am allergic to wool:loco :loco , but i used the lion brand microspun, in cream and used a really pretty pinks and purples fun fur. am hoping to get the pictures taken today as i want to take the poncho to the store for display. i also told the customer that i was signing up that she would need extra yarn. of course your right silly girl!!!!!!:lol :lol , whats going on for april? haven't checked that yet!!!!! also what color did you make yours? vicki:sun

Um... Feb, March and April have been planned since December. I just spread I and II around over the three months in a way that made sense.

We'll be planning for May, June, July soon... it should be due the second week of March, as long as they haven't altered the schedule at all. I do know that the level II projects are going to change for May/June/July, but I don't know what they are yet.

I made mine in the aqua cara mia, with lime green fun fur.

poncho.jpg

Where do you find the online links to the JoAnn's classes? My closest store is one of the smaller ones. Or at least it seems that way! Do all JoAnns offer classes?

They -still- have not gotten up to speed on the online thing... It baffles me. I'm tempted to show up in Hudson Ohio and demand access to the Jo-Ann server and web site files to fix it myself! LOL!

They -really- need a joann.com/classes thing, with descriptions for ALL the classes, then a link to the store locator to find a local storas that offers classes. It's ridiculous that they don't!

But anyway, that's just the tech-savvy Education Coordinator ranting. LOL!

No, not all Jo-Ann stores offer classes, only the larger stores, whether it's a Superstore (formerly ETC), or the new "prototype" stores that are opening up here and there. The smaller, "traditional" stores do not offer classes. They don't have designated classrooms, or a designated Education Coordinator on staff.

For now, the way to find stores near you that offer classes is to use the store locator -- the stores that have classes will have a link to a PDF file of their schedule. The link is called "Class & Event Schedule," and it's on the far right.

Archived