Crafters Coast-to-Coast

I haven't seen it recently but did notice there was a very similar program on HGTV called "That's Clever", using the exact same hostess and the same format. This one also showcased three crafters and the camera angles were the same, jumping all over the place and making it difficult to follow, at times, the crafters, who often were very interesting. The original show was a hot topic on another board. I think, since so many people complained about the original format, that they simply changed the name and hoped people wouldn't realize it was the same format. I stopped watching both of them, since I found (in my humble little opinion) it was difficult to follow what they were doing at times.

LI Roe

I have Directv. I checked my listings and they are not showing Crafter's Coast-to-coast any more.:no

So...I went to HGTV's site...it is not listed in the programs. It shows the last show as February 6th, 2006.:( Maybe it is between seasons for them.

I had not noticed it wasn't on because I have been running to doctors so much lately...I haven't had time to watch tv!

I hope they do bring it back...I enjoy the show! :yes

Maggie :manyheart

cc2c was change dto thats clever quiet a while a go - im talking not this year but possibly last or the one before that. I dont now if they are making new thats clever - At least this is the story I have managed to peice together from other places as Im aussie and just came upon cc2c on cable telly.

They changed the name to "That's Clever!" in the fall of 2005. I used to tape it and watch the episodes that interested me. Then I just got bored with the entire thing. I really resent how they make the artists act all goofy. Many are people who make their living with their art, and are very serious about it. I'd rather see them spend the time showing how they make their work.

Joan

Last year I remember watching both 'That's Clever' and 'Crafters Coast-to-Coast'. One came on around 8:00 a.m. and the other at noon and 5:00 p.m. I got the impression they were two individual shows, not one replacing the other. I hate it when shows disappear with no warning!

charkitty

A local artist was on the show and the newspaper did an interview with her. She said they did change the name of the show. I think she said the show people thought the word "crafters" turned people off and a name change would draw people in. Personally, I thought Crafters Coast to Coast went along more with the show's theme. She talked a bit about the making of the show. They gave her instructions about what to wear and suggested she get a manicure because so much focus in on the crafter's hand. She had to make up samples for each stage of her work, so they could jump from one step to the next without delay. What she said was kind of crazy was the little segments they tape around the town. They filmed for almost a whole day for the 20 second or so bits of the little hometown segment.

HGTV rehashes shows all the time, giving them new names, maybe a new host, but generally the shows are the same. I used to love HGTV and had it on all the time even as background noise in my house. I read somewhere they were trying to change the concept of the network, taking it from teaching people how to decorate to making the shows more of an entertainment outlet. I rarely watch anything on HGTV now. I've always thought this particular show is bad. They don't really teach people anything, it's just "look, I made whatever." As mentioned, if they toned down the silliness, actually showed more of the actual crafting process, and maybe picked more affordable crafts (I don't know many people who own kilns and all the power tool gadgets the show uses), then it would be better.

...HGTV rehashes shows all the time, giving them new names, maybe a new host, but generally the shows are the same. I used to love HGTV and had it on all the time ... I read somewhere they were trying to change the concept of the network, taking it from teaching people how to decorate to making the shows more of an entertainment outlet. I rarely watch anything on HGTV now. ... They don't really teach people anything, it's just "look, I made whatever." As mentioned, if they toned down the silliness, actually showed more of the actual crafting process, and maybe picked more affordable crafts (I don't know many people who own kilns and all the power tool gadgets the show uses), then it would be better.

Couldn't agree more. It's like Food Network; now it's all about their celebrity chefs and the entertainment value of cooking. I'm in the food biz, and I'm always asked if I watch Food Network, but in truth, I rarely watch it. It seems to be all about how cute Rachael can be and how much of Giadia's breasts are exposed in today's outfit. Sheesh. Julia Child is probably spinning in her grave. Oh, well, that's what TV is -- an entertainment medium, a way to sell stuff. (Hope I didn't leave anything out!!!:P )

I've always thought this particular show is bad. They don't really teach people anything, it's just "look, I made whatever."

A lot of their shows are like that though, especially the decorating ones.

I love HGTV and actually watch it more now than in years past. Before it was all gardening and house painting. I never saw HGTV as a teaching channel. Just an idea channel with things you pick up now and then.

I kind of like Crafters/That's Clever but I do agree about all the clay/glass work. Not everyone has a kiln (can we say expensive), blow torch, or even a special craft room. I liked the silliness at first but it is getting over the top. lol

Same with Food Network. I actually watch it more now. I love Paula and Rachel isn't half bad either. Although I agree with you on Giadia, she is annoying.

I like Unwrapped and Secret Life of. Those are fun and you do learn from them.

:)

Couldn't agree more. It's like Food Network; now it's all about their celebrity chefs and the entertainment value of cooking. I'm in the food biz, and I'm always asked if I watch Food Network, but in truth, I rarely watch it. It seems to be all about how cute Rachael can be and how much of Giadia's breasts are exposed in today's outfit. Sheesh. Julia Child is probably spinning in her grave. Oh, well, that's what TV is -- an entertainment medium, a way to sell stuff. (Hope I didn't leave anything out!!!:P )

I watch the Food Network more than I do HGTV now, but I thought I was the only person who thought that about Rachel or Giada. I didn't mind Rachel at first, but I think now that she's famous, she's trying way too hard to be cute. I find that annoying. Same with Giada. Just yeterday, my mom and I saw her show, and I told her Giada REALLY should have utilized the two buttons on her shirt because she was coming close to exposing herself!

I love watching Barefoot Contessa though. They could put her on 24 hours every day that would probably be the only thing I'd turn the tv on for.

I watch the Food Network more than I do HGTV now, but I thought I was the only person who thought that about Rachel or Giada. ...I love watching Barefoot Contessa though. They could put her on 24 hours every day that would probably be the only thing I'd turn the tv on for.

I like her, too. Her recipes are practical and down-to-earth, and they're actually recipes I think people want to eat. (Gee, what a concept.) Yet I feel like I learn something every time I watch it. Now if they would just run those old French Chef reruns...I could watch Julia 24 hours a day.

I can tell you, having just gotten off the phone with a producer from Uncommon Threads, that they're looking to show more of the work involved in something instead of glazing over steps like they did last year, as does HGTV.

I began the process of applying for That's Clever, until I actually saw a more recent episode, and read A LOT online about the process. I, and others like myself, found that the format is a bit hokey. They make you do silly stuff and act like a goofball on t.v. I can't say that I would be drawn into that kind of programming as a viewer, let alone an unwilling participant! I can be silly and goofy, don't get me wrong. But you can't poke and prod someone to be that way in front of a camera and not expect that it'll look immature/stupid/out of place in the final edit.

I can tell you, having just gotten off the phone with a producer from Uncommon Threads, that they're looking to show more of the work involved in something instead of glazing over steps like they did last year, as does HGTV.

I began the process of applying for That's Clever, until I actually saw a more recent episode, and read A LOT online about the process. I, and others like myself, found that the format is a bit hokey. They make you do silly stuff and act like a goofball on t.v. I can't say that I would be drawn into that kind of programming as a viewer, let alone an unwilling participant! I can be silly and goofy, don't get me wrong. But you can't poke and prod someone to be that way in front of a camera and not expect that it'll look immature/stupid/out of place in the final edit.

When the show first came out I kept wondering where they found all these goofy people, then it dawned on me that they most likely were producing the show in such a way as to get that final result. Like "okay now dance around your yard like a fish". Not that fish dance around yards, or that they dance at all, except dolphins seem to like to dance, but I dont think they're fish are they? What was the question? :think

Archived