Yarn for rug?

Bookchick29

Question

I would like to make a rug for the entryway in my house, but am not sure what is the best kind of yarn to use for this. :think It will be getting a lot of foot traffic because it's right by my front door. Does anyone have any suggestions - or personal experiences they can share?

17 answers to this question

I'm making a small rug for my kitchen with plain ol' Red Heart; it's primarily shades of purple, arranged to look like a pansy. I'm knitting up a bunch of i-cords, braiding them, then coiling them and sewing them up like you would a rag rug.

Ooh - that sounds pretty!

Thanks so much Granny Square and redrosesdz! That's a relief that the wool blend isn't likely to be a problem in this rug. Phew!

I love learning new stitches. The waistcoat is a lovely looking stitch and I like the density of it. I'm considering using a lighter yarn and doing the stitch in the round so I don't have to break it off after each row.

The thermal stitch has a great density too! It does take up much more yarn though... I'll see if I have enough. I'll most likely use SC.

I almost suggested the waistcoat stitch (which looks really neat); I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I understand it only works in the round (to get the knitted stockinette look, from reading the stocking pattern that Amy posted in the 'ville blog...and also in your video).  But, I suppose whatever it looks like worked flat could be an alternating texture to SC or the thermal stitch.

Stocking linky for reference

I would think 50/50 wool/acrylic should hold up well, and I wouldn't worry about felting; the acrylic would probably mitigate that (like sock yarn, usually 30% nylon, 70% wool doesn't shrink). Even if it does, it would just make it thicker and sturdier.  Back in the day, and even now, rugs have been made of wool, so...

I personally wouldn't want texture in a rug, or anything less dense than SC or Tunisian.  Maybe add interest with color instead?

There is a thermal stitch which is denser than SC, but it is slow going and takes more yarn.

I apologize for reviving an old thread. I have questions on the same topic so I didn't want to start a new one and clutter the forum. ;)

I have some chunky black yarn that's 50% wool and 60% acrylic. I'd like to crochet either two entry mats for my front and back doors or make one long runner for the kitchen (it will run along the sink, prep area and stove).

I have a few questions:

1) Will a wool blend hold up to the foot traffic?

2) Will the wool eventually felt? If it does, will that make it a pain to get dirt out or make it more impervious to dirt?

3) I'd like the rug to be as solid/dense as possible, to trap/contain debris. Is single crochet the most dense stitch? If at all possible, I'd really like to work a different stitch or two in with the SC to add visual interest and texture. Any suggestions or patterns?

Thanks everyone!

I've only done rugs out of yarn. I did a scrap verigated one that the guys actually liked. I did another square one for the bathroom. I found with yarn you want it either thick or single crochet stiches or both. Large stitches and loose ones will cause it to stretch too much with use. These are so easy to care for, washer and drier.

I did enjoy reading about other types of materials to use. My friend told me she had some of that old 70's polyester fabric in her fabric statsh and I suggested a crocheted rug! lol

wow.................my brain is going a million miles a second here.......so much food for thought..........just another reason i love this forum :hug ty allfor the wonderful ideas......i check this area often :U

I made a doormat with Red Heart Grande. It's been outside for a few years now. It has survived multiple foot wipings and getting shaken violently by the dog who apparently thinks it's a small animal out to get her.:lol Sometimes I find it in the field, sometimes in the pricker bushes (that's fun!:angry) and one winter it disappeared for several weeks. When the snow melted I found it in the yard. I don't know why my dog insists on attacking it, but when she's not doing that, she's laying on it. What I'm getting at is that it's had a violent life and has been subjected to a lot of unpleasantries that a door mat doesn't expect to have to deal with, as well as many, many washings and it still looks as good as new (if you ignore the black dog hair that is always on it.:lol

I've made them out of all kinds of things. Fabric strips are strongest & if you want certain colors, You'll have to purchase the fabric. If you don't care. use anything cotton. Dark colors are best. You can also purchase rug yarn. It's easy to work with, comes in all kinds of colors & is cotton. You can use any lg. hook with it from J on up to Q. If you use Q though, you'd probably want to use 2 strands for density. Rug yarn also makes beautifull "floor doilies". Thes are made with reg. doily patterns but using lg. hooks & yarns. They're really nice next to a bed or even in the bathroom.

I have used fabric (cotton blends) & multi strands of acrylic yarn. Both hold up very well to wear & washing. If I use a non-skid mat under them, I prefer the rubber stuff for kitchen cabinets to the mats sold in the rug dept. The paint-on rubber backing works well, but it can get very messy on yarn rugs.

:)Alosha

Cats love them too.

I was interested to see your input as well. I've started messing around with making a rug too, and I was glad to see your input, craftconnie. Thanks! Lots of good food for thought. :)

I'm making a small rug for my kitchen with plain ol' Red Heart; it's primarily shades of purple, arranged to look like a pansy. I'm knitting up a bunch of i-cords, braiding them, then coiling them and sewing them up like you would a rag rug.

I make floor mats to sell at a farmers' market and you could probably make a rug out of almost anything. It really comes down to durability and of course washability. The ones I make out of cloth strips sell the best as well as wear the best however I have had very good luck with several strands of chunky held together and using an "N" hook or whatever works for you, working in single crochet. Macrame cord also works. Yarn rugs can be very slippery so you will want to use a non-skid mat underneath or one of the many products on the market. Glue gun glue ,puffy paint will also work.....simply swirl it on the back, let dry and then use your rug. I have used "sisal" rope though it really cuts up your hands so if you decide to use it, wear gloves. Floor mats are a good way to use up small balls of yarn as long as the laundering conditions are the same mixing brands should not be a problem. For a front door I would recommend darker colors ; you will find that when you pick up the mat that there is dirt in it, and under it.....that's its job, to keep the dirt from entering the rest of the house. The biggest problem that I have is that my dog keeps claiming my floor mats as her sleeping mats. Baby yarn and anything that has a thread (like a sparkle thread) do not hold up well , wool is iffy but acrylics all work. hope this helps

Archived