Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

I think we may have a couple working on that. I have been working on the baby blocks quilt that uses the same motif and a directional join. I've had to redo a couple of them and it is simpler than the PS. We are here to help and encourage so have at it

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Darski

Thanks for your reply. I am interested in hearing how the tumbling blocks is coming along. What colors are you using and how far along are you on it ?

The diamonds are pretty easy, aren't they , it's just the putting them in the right place and right direction that is a challenge .

I hope to hear from others here who may be working on the Prairie Star too ,to see how far along they are and what colors they are using .

I am using white, lavender and a deep purple.

If I were quilting, I would not have gone this dark in the purple but it is the yarn colour that is available. It does work all things considered.

the Prairie Star is on my list but I didn't have enough colours to start it. - maybe next...

Darski

Those colors sound very pretty. I keep saying I'm gonna make something purple, but I haven't done it yet !

I'll be excited to hear if you decide to make the prairie star- then I'll have a buddy to work along with ,if you wouldn't mind ! :)

Hi all I did this cal way back when and did the nine patch . Although I hate joining squares it does turn out beautiful, I love the quilt look. I admire those of you that have finished the ps, or have started it or the tumbling blocks, I tried both and I have a real problem with the joining part lol, it doesnt like me. I would love to join back in here when my other wips are finished. Until then good luck with all of your projects.

Hi Andrea !

Great to see you over here too . I would also like to do the 9-patch. I started one, but it got put in the corner so I could move on to other things . I hope to make one of them too . I bought some new yarn for one, but have to pace myself on these and not get too many going at once . I am right now working on the one big rectangle granny which os really easy and enjoyable to do .

Maybe you can drop in here for the PS -if you decide to do one at some point .

Well, Andrea

I know what you mean about the frustration level. Maybe we can both get frustrated together ~ :D

I wanna make the one big granny afghan first ,then will see about the PS next. I'm not ready to give up on it yet. I'll give it another go when the mood hits me .

Well I almost reached my goal. I have four squares left to join and another one to make and join to finish the round I wanted to finish. But I did get two sqauares done for the next round. This weekend did get me the boost that I needed to get something done on my around the world. I will post the pic tomarrow. How did everyone else do?

Great Job goofy cant wait to see pics. I'm really not in on this one but may have to scrap the graph ghan im working on and come in here it appears that the person that started that one disappeared been waiting 2 days now for some help and nothing. Oh well I wasnt that good at it anyway. Keep up the great work.:cheer

I just want to say a big thank-you to Debbi for the idea to focus on our quilts this weekend. My PS was the only crochet project I worked on all weekend, and while I wasn't as able to crochet as much today as I had hoped, I still made quite a bit of progress. Here are my before and after pics:

BEFORE

th_10.jpg

AFTER

th_10-1.jpg

Goofy -- Great job on working on yours. I can't wait to see pictures.

Julie and Andrea -- As you can see I am currently working on the Prairie Star. It took me a while to catch on to the joining, but I eventually got the hang of it. The best way to think about it is that you're making the joined motifs the same as the first one, but on the third round when you ch-1, if you are working on a side that needs to be joined to an existing motif, then you join rather than ch-1.

My biggest problem was figuring out where to join one to another. I had a lot of trouble at the beginning because I would flip the finished piece over and put the 2 wrong sides together to try and join like that. I found that it was much easier if I just always kept the right side up and just slipped my hook into the join space this way. It was easier to visualize how the motifs fit together and where they should be joined.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense or helps at all. But I'd be happy to :cheer you along as you start on your PS and answer any specific questions that you have as best I can. This is a great pattern and a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

How did everyone else do on making progress this weekend?

Bookchic your ghan is very pretty, unlike you I dont have the patience for this one maybe one day I will, I have had my yarn since this cal began way back when but after attempting the tumbling blocks and failing miserably I decided not to go forth with the ps. I do however appreciate your offering to :cheer who knows one day I just may need ya LOL.

I would like to do the Prairie Star but it would mean yarn purchases that I can't make just now.

My Baby Blocks is coming together but I got more praying done than crochet and I have been kni**ing because I have a deadline for some scarves.

Tiffany

Thanks for the help and explanations. It is good to hear from someone who is so far done ,and that is SO pretty ! What is the variegated color you used ? I really like the colors you picked and it looks like you made a lot of progress in just one weekend !

Andrea- Maybe if you keep seeing pretty photos of all these Prairie Stars, you'll decide to give it another shot . What part of it was giving you the most trouble ?

Darski

Maybe you will be able to get some new yarn soon and join in then . I will probably be working on mine for a LONG time ,so hopefully you will get to jump in sometime soon . :)

Tiffany, I love the colors you're using for your PS. I have that pattern to "one day" make, although who knows when that one day will be? But you're making good progress, and it's going to be so gorgeous when you've finished it!

Very pretty afghans!

I didn't do as much as I would have liked, but I crocheted about 15-20 squares (lost count) but I finished crocheting the next color for the round and started the next color so that's good. The squares are easy, they're 2 rounds only and just double crochet, so very easy to do tons.

I sewed on only about 4 squares (I hate that part, but did a few when my hands were tired of crocheting). So I didn't take a pic as it really hasn't changed that much yet.

BUT

I did discover I do love this afghan and want to finish it. And I am back to wanting to do this more. And since I want to give it as a Christmas gift, I need to get it done!

Debbi

Looks great, Goofy. I really like the colors that you're using.

Way to go, Debbi on making progress on yours.

Thank you for everyone's comments about mine. Renee and Julie, the colors I'm using are:

Caron SS Light Sage

Caron SS Off-White

Caron SS Lilac

RH Dark Purple

RH Aran

RH Watercolor -- this is the variegated

I am excited to get this finished -- it will be my first finished afghan. I've completed lots of smaller projects, but never a full afghan. The one thing I'm really happy about is that I've been very diligent about weaving in ends as I go (I'll crochet a section of diamonds and then weave in the ends for that section before moving on), so when I'm finished I won't have to worry about all of the ends. :yay

Debbi

Keep on plugging along, every little bit you do gets you closer to being finished !

Tiffany- yep, that is smart to weave in ends as you go -- it saves on the mind-boggling job of doing them all at the end !

Congrats on sticking with your first afghan. What a nice accomplishment. :)

Tiffany-I've been doing the same thing with mine. Otherwise at the end I spend several days weaving in a couple ends before putting it down to work on something else. I HATE those ends!! :)

Mine I can leave a long end on the very end and use this to sew them to the quilt, and weave them in at the same time. The first part I put under the first few stitches and then weave them in after I sew them (I have the needle then so it works for me). If I had mor ends on one square, then I'd do them as quickly as possible!

Debbi

Hi, Tiffany! your PS is looking gorgeous! I think I only finished mine because I made the pattern so much smaller; it's amazing what taking out two colors can do :lol You are so brave! (and color-talented :nworthy). Julie - you can do it! you know the PS is calling your name....

Tiffany - way to go on weaving as you go; I didn't and if the 'ghan had been a full-size PS, I'm not sure I would have ever finished. My patience and the remaining ends were in a race to see which one(s) disappeared first.....

pretty colors, goofy! my nieces would just love that color combo; they're purple-aholics. Ah, but sometimes they'll accept pink in its place :lol

Debbi - I wish I'd paid attention on Friday - I would have liked very much to have the encouragement to work on my rail fence. Ah well, a good idea is always worth repeating; maybe I'll be able to join a Virtual Retreat sometime in the future...

Archived