Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

....I'm off in a little bit .... to buy yarn - either for my 2nd Prairie Star or the Americana Afghan. I still haven't decided which I'm doing. I figure I'll let the yarn:yarn do the deciding ;) Whichever yarn appeals to me the most :D:hook
Hi, AJ! If you're not completely locked into doing the Americana w/ Homespun for the Patriotic CAL, you could do both CALS :eek by doing the PS in Red White and Blue! I think I saw somewhere that someone else is doing it in that color pattern - ought to be beautiful...:manyheart

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I'm here. I'm working on my Homespun Americana Afghan (finally bought the yarn for it today.)

I DID look at yarn for another PS, but I couldn't decide on colors! LOL The ones I mapped out were NOT the same when I actually got there and saw them in person. So that one will have to wait a bit.

But I'll still be checking in here :)

How are you coming on yours, Ines?:D

Hi, AJ! If you're not completely locked into doing the Americana w/ Homespun for the Patriotic CAL, you could do both CALS :eek by doing the PS in Red White and Blue! I think I saw somewhere that someone else is doing it in that color pattern - ought to be beautiful...:manyheart

wow!! just imagine the prairie star in red, white, and blue. how very patriotic. makes me want to do one. NAH, just funnin' with ya. i've not got the gumption to tackle that one yet. i'll be all summer on the ATW.:rolleyes

while cleaning out boxes and bags of MIL's stuff today i found a teach yourself to crochet kit with a book with 15 projects, an afghan hook(greek to me), some yarn bobbins (whatever those are), a stitch gauge, 2 plastic weaving in needles, and aluminum hooks f thru k. :woo

i also found a ball of RH yarn. yup, i'm now the proud owner of a skein of mexicana. i heard somewhere that in a crocheters life, one must own mexicana, even if you never use it.:lol i'm going to use it though. i'm gonna make a blankie for Ro's project.

gonna go check out the rest of the 'ville. i'll check back in a bit.:waving

soo, i'm not the only one that has to split her time between crocheting and the great outdoors. :flower i've been working outside one day and then crocheting the next day when my body is wracked with pain.:out:lol

after today's foray into the dusty, musty storage building, i'll spend a good deal of tomorrow going :sneeze . i've been a good girl and got quite a bit done this week. maybe i'll give myself tomorrow off. :hook

Hello everyone! I notice alot of people aren't here:( . Where is everyone, I don't know if i'll ever finish without the cheery gang.:( Well, I sure hope people cool off & come back. :ghug Anyhow, i'm making progress on my ghan. I hope all is well with everyone.:manyheart

:waving I am still here also I just had to take a break from crocheting:hook and finish my grandaughter's prom dress, which the prom is this Saturday. So I thought I had better get it finished. She looks so pretty in it. :yes I should be able to get back on my crocheting later tonight. Everyones afghans are looking so pretty:yay :yay

I'm here too! I added the 6th point to my prairie star and will be working quite a bit on it tonight. Good to see all of you.:)

i think the nice weather is drawing everyone outside. i know i've been away during the day alot this week.

maybe we need a poem from our fearless leader. how about it julie?:scrachin

Ok, I've been online for almost an hour and still haven't caught up on all the posts! OMG. Julie , I dont know how you can keep track of everyone. You definately deserve a medal.

Lynne - your ghan is beautiful:clap. What a wonderful job. I don't know if I missed it and forgive me if you've answered this, but where is the pattern from?

As for me, I've decided to do the Around the World ghan and managed to start it on my lunch break today. I got the squares done for the first two rounds and am starting on the third. For those of you who did this , did you join the squares as you finished each colour round or did you do it all at the end?

i got 21 centers done of the 54 for group E last night while watching my friend paint her guestroom the wrong color. so, 33 more centers, then i can start putting on the outside rows of the squares. i seem to be moving slower this week. must be that awful sunny weather. it keeps luring me outside.:sun

Im still here and I have 1 block to make on my ps and I will have round 3 done, still along ways to go.:hook

I dont know where everyone is hope they come back!!

Have a nice night

Hi, all :hi

I'm dividing my time between this quiltghan and the 63 squares - ran into difficulty on square 8, so mostly posted about that today. I did find my camera, and took a pic on the doll afghan I'd finished to post in the show and tell. Figuring out how to post pics took awhile, too. Usually only crochet at night, so I'm pretty slow finishing things. But now that I've found out how a CAL helps me, I'm definitely still here! May take me awhile to post progress, though I'll try to drop in at least daily, progress or no.

The weather is lovely, isn't it? Helped me get good pics, too. natural lighting, doncha know..... I'm too embarrassed to post the pic of my PS to date - it's only 2 rounds of one diamond in pink..... I adjusted my signature block just to keep from feeling too defeated....

I'm signing off for tonight - see you tomorrow morning!

i got 21 centers done of the 54 for group E last night while watching my friend paint her guestroom the wrong color. so, 33 more centers, then i can start putting on the outside rows of the squares.
:woo

Way to go dazy! Aw, enjoy the sunshine - later in the year it'll be too hot - enjoy it now! (and take a chair, sunglasses, hook, yarn, pattern notes.... get the idea? :chortle :D )

Im still here and I have 1 block to make on my ps and I will have round 3 done, still along ways to go.:hook

I dont know where everyone is hope they come back!!

Have a nice night

Keep up the good work, Evelyn - just hearing about your beautiful 'ghan is keeping me motivated, thank you :ty

Can't wait to see the finished masterpiece. or any step inbeween, come to think of it:yes

As for me, I've decided to do the Around the World ghan and managed to start it on my lunch break today. I got the squares done for the first two rounds and am starting on the third. For those of you who did this , did you join the squares as you finished each colour round or did you do it all at the end?
Hi, Karen! That's a beautiful pattern - I'm thinking of doing it at some point, and looking for a way to do it without making separate motifs.

I think Julie mentioned that she waited until the end - and what a trial that was! I think some folks are connecting them when they get too frustrated making endless little squares, but they cautioned that you have to be really sure of which colors go where in doing so. The common wisdom agreed whichever way you connected the squares, that leaving the end-hiding 'till all squares done was a bad idea, though - simply too demoralizing....:eek

....while cleaning out boxes and bags of MIL's stuff today i found a teach yourself to crochet kit with a book with 15 projects, an afghan hook(greek to me), some yarn bobbins (whatever those are), a stitch gauge, 2 plastic weaving in needles, and aluminum hooks f thru k....
Ooh, ooh, I love afghan hooks - Dazy, hang on to this one! There are lots of fun things to do with an afghan hook - one of which is making it really easy to use two colors in an item, with the bonus that it is reversible - colors stand out differently on either side. I tend to use a double-ended hook, since I can do either the afghan stitch or a double-hook stitch. Takes a little longer than crochet, but the fabric is softer and more flexible. Tends to curl, though, as most of the stitch bulk ends up on one side. You can usually fix that by using the double hook stitch (bulk switches sides) or a heavy border.

The yarn bobbins might come in handy if you work with graphs a lot - switching colors and so on. Gives you separate little "skeins" for each color section. They're the items that look like little fat ladders?

I have that kit, and have given it several times to friends starting out. Usually retails for $12-15 or so. Booklet patterns aren't bad, either.

See, your hard labor rewarded!

Hello ... is anyone still here?
Hi, Ines, and AJ! :hi

still here, still slowly working on my PS (operative term slow, not work :lol) Glad you're still here - I have the feeling my PS may be more than I can handle without help :hug

I'm not even going to embarrass myself and all of you by lying and saying that I caught up on all the posts since my last one! Holy cow what have you all been chatting about?!? :lol

A brief update since its WAY past my bedtime... (sad... its only 10:30ish pm) I've actually been crocheting! I now have 3 flowers done for my quiltigan and a whole mess of background hexes (I brought the background skeins and another hook upstairs to bed with me and crochet while I wait for my DH to come up to bed :devil ) Its coming along---

Everyone's quiltigans are beautiful.. I've been trying to keep up with the posts and pics (truly!) Please don't be offended if I didn't congratulate someone personally. I love them all!

I posted a long update on my blog that never got posted :oops:bang I'm still trying to get the hang of this blog business. I'll definately get to it again tomorrow with some new pictures.

Hugs to all- :hug

Janine

Hi, all :hi

I'm too embarrassed to post the pic of my PS to date - it's only 2 rounds of one diamond in pink..... I adjusted my signature block just to keep from feeling too defeated....

I'm signing off for tonight - see you tomorrow morning!

only 2 rounds? for shame:2nono . so far, i've got a pile of squares :embar. can't really put mine together till i get them done. and after i get the 56 of this group done, i've only got 136 to go. but i got all 56 of the centers done tonight for group E. i'm gonna work on them in the morning while i wait for the dew to dry so i can mow the yard. i'd let hubby mow, but he doesn't know where the grass ends and the flowers begin.:worried

janine, don't worry if you miss a post or 2. we've all been there. did you say hexes? are you doing the grandmas flower garden? i did a babyghan with that pattern for the GFG CAL. i started another one with scraps for the flowers. but i got sidetracked by a quiltghan.:blush i might make a lapghan out of it and donate it for the charity blitz for may. or, i may just keep plugging away at it a little at a time and save it incase sonnyboy ever gets married. or even moves into his own place. or moves to a nursing home when he's old and grey and still living with us. (really, he's seldom here, so he's no bother. i enjoy saying "hi, daniel. bye, daniel.)

keep it up:cheer . only about a zillion hexes to go, right?:lol

Archived