Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just finished skimming three pages of posts. The pics I saw are absolutely stunning! I think everyone is doing a great job in picking out colors and executing the patterns. :cheer :cheer :cheer

Evelyn: I'm doing the Drunkard's Path afghan and using the pattern from the little Lionbrand quilt pattern book. The squares are extremely easy to do.

Now for an update on my progress: In a nutshell, not much progress. I'm crocheting away, but only have 17 squares done out of 64. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not that fast of a crocheter, which is okay, I suppose. Next Wednesday, my husband and I start our vacation and I hope to make mucho progress then.

Keep up the good work, everyone! :hook

:cheerWay to go Andrea! It is beautiful too! :clap

Gleda..have a good vacation! I'm sure you'll make lots of progress.:hook I can't wait to see your ghan. I'm thinking of doing that or the double wedding ring next. Leaning towards the wedding ring, but just not sure yet. Everyone have a great night. I'm off to crochet and do dishes!

Theresa "2"

:c9 Dear Patricia,

I just wanted to tell you that I was laughing at myself because I didn't even notice that I had only 5 points until I read your e-mail, and I've been working on it - putting it together from the picture no less, and even photographing it from a distance, and didn't even realize it was different. The other day,:think I did think something was not quite like the picture, but it was only a passing thought.

My husband just said - " Diane, you - MISSED THE POINT of the whole afghan. Ha ha ha". (Isn't he a comedian!)

Reading your note makes me want to try to do it the way it is, but I am not sure I will have the yarn to make it an adequate size....It would make a great project to do one of my great nieces or nephews - that would be cool to try one day...:c9 hmmm.

Whew!!!! finally glad that someone saw it and that i didnt spend the past hour trying to do something that was for nothing although i did have to edit lots of posts in here from all the flubbing up i did lol. oh well at least i finally got it and yes brandy thank you for being helpful. seeing all these ps ghans going really makes me want to start mine now ive had the yarn for a week but i also want to do the cathedral pattern to i also have the yarn for that one to . I just sneak it all in when hubby isnt home from work yet. lol. everyone is doing such a beautiful job hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

OOOhh Brandy, - that tumbling block pattern looks good. Thanks for posting the picture!:)

Norma - your 9 patch is beautiful. You have made a lot of progress sewing all those squares - is that how you are joining them? Gorgeous:manyheart

Lynn, I think your quiltghan is wonderful, so much detailed painstaking work. The colors are bright and beautiful for a young person. What great work.:cheer

Andrea - Congratulations on posting a picture! I've been here a year and just learned to do it the other night! I love your afghan and the colors you've chosen! They are very stunning. What kind of yarn did you use? - it looks almost velvety.:fluffy

Julie - I'm glad you had plenty of examples to look at. I used the first joining sc too - and am soon to add a 6th point to it. Good luck and make sure to count! (though I' m sure you do not need that advice!:D )

AJ - I like the new colors too. It's a nice emphasis to the star. Which one are you doing first - the PS, the flag, or both?

Thanks for your encouraging words Forines! I have decided to frog it and do the 6 point star, BUT - it will be fun to try a 5 star sometime (thanks for the idea, Patricia!) - I may plan a smaller one for my new niece since I know how nice this is for children, thanks to AJ...

Well off to frog!:frog

Diane- thank you for the compliment and it was redheart yarn i tend to like that much better just hard to find stock is low around here. As far as learning how to post the pic if it wasnt for Brandy and Julie and lots of goofs I probably would still be at it lol. Hope everyone has a good night. Need to get busy sewing somemore squares and doing my dishcloths for the exchange im in.

Andrea

Very pretty ! Nice work ~~~ :)

Gleda

Don't get discouraged. We all work at different speeds and some of the afghans are much more time consuming than others. You are doing just fine , I'm sure !!!

Diane

Thanks for the tip -- yep, i need all the help I can get with a pattern that has a warning at the top that has the word PATIENCE . :lol

PS -- Sounds like you need to get the yardstick after your hubby . We'll see who GETS THE POINT then . :D

As far as the posts regarding yarns, everyone has different preferences . They both have advantages and disadvantages . I used to use only RH and didn't like SS due to the splitting and thin-ness of it . But it is definitely softer than RH . RH seems to be a sturdier type of yarn , which makes me wonder if you made 2 afghans, one out of each of them and they both got the same amount of use, wear , and tear, how they would compare .

SS would definitely be better for a wearable type item due to the softness .

I did find , with the Around the World afghan I just made that no matter how long you make the tails, then weave them in , the yarn tends to be so slippery that the ends stick out here and there no matter what you do .

So ... I think each one has good and bad points . They are both nice yarns for a good price . :)

:clap diane- your ps is looking great good job keep up the good work

dazy- thanks for the comments on my blog, i use to be a cheerleader maybe being energectic from that is still in me who knows???

as for the rest of you i didn't get through all of the comments for today sry you guys were really busy today i see my signature should be changed to say granny square headband: 3 squares done

nine patch: 22 out of 283 squares

Julie, I did the PS the same way you did initially and have the hole...it's not *that* big (definitely smaller than the holes between some of the joins I've done) I didn't even realize that's not how it was supposed to be until your post! :eek

I'm being defiant and leaving it in there! :nahnah

Ok --- Shannon's crazy fan quiltghan is done!!!!! Thankfully!!!!!

Its really colorful isn't it? Reminds me os a circus but that's what she wanted!

Lynn

ShannonsAfghan_02.jpg

ShannonsAfghan_01.jpg

ShannonsAfghanClose-up.jpg

Lynn, thats a great looking afghan!! my son would surely love the bright and bold colors! Where did you find this pattern? I love it!!

hugs

Vims:hook

First off Wow you ladies have been on a posting binge!!! Usually its a 3 or 4 pages to read when I wake up and you guys are getting ready to sleep! But today its about 7 pages!!!! I mean 7 whole pages of lovely things to read and drool about:)

Evelyn I like the colors you are doing and can't wait to see what color you would be using next.

Julie I didn't know you started the PS !! Pics I want to see pics of your PS:)

Diane I too didn't see that you had only 5 diamonds!!! I guess I was just mesmerised by the toal beauty of the ghan:hug

AJ I likedd the color combo you had chosen but I love the new one ! Glad you found out about the fisherman color before you started.

Norma your quilt ghan looks awesome!

Mary can't wait to see more of your squares!

I am sure I am missing a lot more people but I read all of your posts and enjoy being here with you all!!

I was at the quilters cache website that Theresa had posted in the beginning pages of this CAL and had downloaded a ton of quilt pattern that I would someday like to adapt to crochet. Also I am thinking that being in a hot climate I would use the quilt blocks to make totes and placemats. Not that I don't like to make afghans just don't see much use of it here:)

Welcome aboard Darlene!!!

hoping that all those who were sick are out of it or are amost out of it :manyheart

love you all !!!

And finally I am still plugging away at the PS and am now at the aran/offwhite part of the ghan except I am using light green:)

hugs

Vims:yarn

edited to welcome Darlene:)

This is it..... no I am not finished!!! :no Just showing it in the daylight colour and the layout.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=329379720&photoID=2444864480058018460&security=HvBsth

Not the colours I would choose. Now I have lots and lots of joining. i am trying to decide whether I will make it 67X67 or 67X 53. I will see how I feel about it after I have joined the 3 blocks across.

Vims I followed a fabric quilt layout for this afghan.

Thanks, Vims! I wanna see pics of your Prairie Star!:clap

To everyone:

I have a question about the Red Heart vs Simply Soft "debate." I've used Simply Soft quite a few times now and love it because of its smooth soft feel, drape, and ease to work with, not to mention the color choices. I've never used Red Heart, except the Soft Baby, but not the Super Saver. I have felt it in the store and thought it to be pretty scratchy.

My question is this: how does the Red Heart wash up? Does it soften through washing, or does it stay rather scratchy? I'm one who definitely favors soft yarns to work with, but if I knew it would soften after a wash, I'd be more open to it. I like having an afghan that is as beautiful to the touch as it is on the eyes. As of now, it's just a bit ... rough ... for my taste.

So to those who have used Red Heart and washed it, can you give me a little advice on this? And if you've used Simply Soft, can you give me some comparisons between the two on working with, weaving ends, and softness after wash?:yarn

Thank you so much!:hook

Forines that is absolutely beautiful I love the pattern you did a beautiful job. Thanks for the compliments ladies I will post another pic when i get it finished. Have a good night Im off to bed.

Forines, it's gorgeous! My my you're brave to take on those itty bitty squares. By your size choices, it sounds like it's going to be huge!

You're doing a beautiful job on it!:cheer

AJ - I've made 3 afghans crocheted out of RH, as well as am currently working on a double-strand knitted one out of RH. Even without washing, the knitted one feels quite soft overall.

I've found that a good washing and drying with fabric softener softened up my afghans quite nicely. It won't be as soft as baby yarn or "soft" yarn, but it's more than nice enough for an afghan as far as everyone in my family has felt.

I started trying out some Simply Soft today for the first time because I'm making a wearable. It's much softer to begin with, but I've found it knots a bit more, and splits more frequently than RH did.

I think for wearables, especially if there's another layer between the skin and the item, RH is a good affordable option. If it's going to have direct contact on my skin for hours at a time, the simply soft feels like a better option for a wearable.

Aj

thanks for the link for the photo shop stuff :)

I have serif on my computer and paint ,but decided thats for someone who knows more than I do , I will just look at the pretty stuff other people do:think

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments on my ps It might go as fast as gfg went

The fan patterrn is very pretty

Everyone on here has very pretty suff in this cal. Have a great night

the red heart soften up after a few washing. I have an afghan

my mom made about 25 year ago. it still look good and in great shape.

I like the simply soft too. I like making baby blanket out of it.

I still prefer the red heart because I know it will last for a long time.

its just my opinion.

This is it..... no I am not finished!!! :no Just showing it in the daylight colour and the layout.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=329379720&photoID=2444864480058018460&security=HvBsth

Not the colours I would choose. Now I have lots and lots of joining. i am trying to decide whether I will make it 67X67 or 67X 53. I will see how I feel about it after I have joined the 3 blocks across.

Vims I followed a fabric quilt layout for this afghan.

Ines It is awesome!!! I have one question .. are you joining as you go like the prairie star or are you whip stitching them? The colors look very nice!!!

there was a mention of roses in bloom in one of your posts here in this cal that you said you dropped to start work on this one, could you tell me what pattern you were talking about? Ines!!! forget about the ring of roses I found out about what you were "talking about"!!! I got it printed out as a sometime-in-the-future project!

AJ I will post a pic later this evening:)

hugs

Vims

Archived