Re-using yarn

malimore

Question

I am using a "regular" Red Heart worsted weight yarn on my current project--which is "Oh, this sounds like a good idea, we'll do this" design :think . I've done a row of sc and 2 rows of shells that I don't like. My question is, can I just undo all the stitches and re-use the yarn? Or will doing that damage the yarn so that it won't look the same as the other yarn in my project?

Please help! I have other yarn, but that's a good chunk. Can't work on it until I find an answer :)

Mali

17 answers to this question

I have Freaking Ripped Out Gobs of yarn when something 7 rows back in a blanket was a big Mistake on my counting ability! :hook

Oh my gosh! Is that seriously what frog means? I had never heard the term until coming to C'Ville.

This weekend while I was visiting my mom, we exchanged projects with each other. She's much better at knitting, and I'm better at crocheting. So, since I really liked a knitted afghan, I'm trading her a crocheted one. The one I'm making is from "Afghans for all Seasons, Book 2" It's the one on the cover.

So, we sat for two days knitting & crocheting together, and my hands & arms start to hurt so I thoughtfully decide to measure the progress of my afghan. Egads! My afghan is somehow 10 inches too narrow!! I couldn't understand how as my guage was perfect! After much pain and deliberation between us, we figure it's best to fix it as an afghan too narrow is no use to anyone. So I get down to the final chain and half of the row above and I make this gasping noise of horrified realization... the missing width was the _border_! :eek I laughed so hard that tears streamed down my face.

Somehow, I don't think I'll ever make that mistake again! :blush

Thanks Paulette!

The first poncho actually didn't turn out quite right. (Did you see my pics?) I considered frogging it but just didn't have the heart to do so. The second is a different pattern and I think it's going to be fine.

Rip it... I like that!

I sympathize with the frogging! :( The baby afghan I frogged was about 7 skeins of yarn. I didn't think I'd ever want to touch that yarn again. But it's making 2 very pretty ponchos. :)

YOU HAD TO FROG SEVEN SKEINS OF YARN?????????? :bang :bang

I guess if you don't frog it and you can't use it then it's a UFO and a waste of yarn. You've already spent your money on the yarn, your time on making the piece, so I guess if the yarn can be recycled into two pretty ponchos, that's pretty cool...

I can really understand feeling you would never want to see that yarn again! But YOU DID IT! Go YOU!!!:cheer :cheer Go YOU:cheer :cheer

Oh my gosh! Is that seriously what frog means? I had never heard the term until coming to C'Ville.

Freaking Ripped Out Gobs of yarn... that's FUNNY.

I've heard that 'frogging' came from the act of having to 'rip it' out... get it? rip it, rip it, like a frog "ribbet"...:2frog

I stepped away from my WIP and came over to the 'ville 'cause I just finished frogging quite a bit of microspun when I discovered a small but substantial mistake a couple rows back. :rant GGGGRRRRRRRR... and I needed to step away, take a deep breath.

Breathe in the butterflies:dragonfly ... breathe out the bees:bee .

Frogging Red Heart works out pretty well. I have Freaking Ripped Out Gobs of yarn when something 7 rows back in a blanket was a big Mistake on my counting ability! Ya know, 1, 2 ,3 was way back in the learning curve, but sometimes it escapes me! Rip away, recreate! :hook

I tend to do a lot of frogging... I guess, well, I think I'm indecisive at times... don't know for sure... I'll start something and then realize I'm not enjoying the stitch or I'm having trouble with the pattern, :thair or for whatever reason decide, nope, don't want to make this afterall.

If I leave it as a UFO it definitely is dust :rip; if I frog it, hey, might be able to make something useful.

The only time I've had a real problem is with some of the 'fancy' yarns with plies coming off - they tend to get 'caught' in the unraveling... and thick and thin yarns aren't always cooperative...

Otherwise I save the label so I know what type of yarn it was and the approximate amount that's there and hook on:hook :dance

:2frog :2frog :2frog If you can't beat 'em, frog 'em!!!

Some yarns, mostly furry, fuzzy, nubbly type yarns, look beaten up when they get frogged alot. And some loosely spun yarns may start to split if you frog them alot, too... But, with most basic, everyday yarns, you won't be able to tell a bit.

:frog Frog on. :hook

I "frogged" the same yarn 3 times, (yes 3 times!) I just wasn't satisfied with what I made and I loved the yarn, it had to be "just right". Worsted weight yarn will hold up well, but some novelity yarn wont hold up well or frog easily, like mohair, I found that just doesn't rip out at all. Good luck!! -Pam

Absolutely!

I had crocheted three fourths of a baby afghan when I realized that I didn't have enough yarn to complete it and due to the type of pattern there was no way to finish it. I frogged it and am using the yarn for something else.

Archived