Another "What Could I Make?"...

My boss has been having to stay home for several weeks in preparation for some very serious surgery. I want to make something for her to let her know I am thinking about her, but don't have a lot of money or time to do it. I thought about a prayer shawl, but all the patterns I found said to use Homespun which isn't very budget-friendly and also since I'd be mailing whatever I make, I wanted it to be something to wouldn't cost a fortune to mail. What do you think would be a good gift I could send to her? Thanks in advance for your help!

Samantha

I think a shawl is a good idea. I have made The All Season Shawl with a N hook and either Red Heart or Simply Soft. With Red Heart it took about a skein and a half, with Simply Soft it took close to 2 and 1/2 skeins. I end when it gets to 141 or 143 stitches so the scallops come out evenly. Here is the link.

http://members.aol.com/lffunt/allshawl.htm

Coralie

I'm not sure exactly what prayer shawls are, however, when I looked at some website on them, they seem rather similar to regular shawls. You can probably use the prayer shawl pattern, but using Simply Soft or a worsted weight yarn. I'm not sure what type of surgery it is, or what kind of preparation would be needed for a surgery, but you could make a "learn to crochet kit". This would include a hook, some yarn, and maybe a video of you showing how to crochet. If I were stuck in bed after a surgery, I'd be bored and looking for something to learn/do.

You could also crochet flowers and possibly a vase (I've never tried to make a vase).

I agree with the stole/shawl idea, too. I'd probably go for a rectangular shawl only because that point (for me) isn't comfortable when confined to bed, and the rectangle will allow for covering the arms while the bottom half is covered by blankets.

My favorite is to do a double strand (Q hook) pattern; I use four skeins of simply soft (usually two of a neutral and one in a color I know they like), chain about 3 feet plus a few inches (long enough to go across my back from the base of my fingers on one hand to the same spot on the other once I've started stitching into the chain), then just sc back and forth until it's the width I want it (usually about 24"). That makes it a comfortable length (not beyond the ends of the hands) and wide enough to keep shoulders, back and arms warm. You can do a simple sc edging around it if you like. I find it takes me 4-5 hours to make one.

Hi Samantha *waving from the beach* I agree Homespun isn't exactly inexpensive. If you can get Simply Soft that is soft and gentle on both skin and budget. A stole would be nice if confined to bed or chair, cause you wouldn't be sitting on the point.

Thanks, everyone for your great suggestions:yay I'm definately going to have to hit Wal-Mart when I get off work and get some Simply Soft. All I have in my stash is grey and that's not very cheerful. I think she'll love getting a shawl since she talked so much about the one I made not long ago and since she's so thin and frail, she needs something to wrap up in. Maybe I can knock a shawl out in a couple evenings and can get it in the mail to her soon.

I think a prayer shawl would be very nice... and with the Homespun yarn you have to remember it is a 6 oz skein.. if not a prayer shaw how about a scarf that would only take 1 skein of Homespun yarn and it comes in so many wonderful colors.. Another tought might be a nice bookmark.. if she is resting for a surgery chances are she is probably reading more then usual and a bookmark is easy not expensive and you could mail it in a nice thinking of you card.

Whatever you decide to do I am sure she will be touched by your thoughtfulness.

:manyheart:hug

Archived