some new clover style handles

BrianC

Hi,

I got some shop time again and cut some clover handle blanks. None of them are finished but thought you might like to see them. I would also be interested in which ones people like.

fir from my place fir.jpg

spalted alder from my place spaltedalder.jpg

scotch broom again from my place

scotchbroom.jpg

lacy oak (not from my place unfortunately) lacyoak.jpg

spalted madrona (arbutus for those from north of the border) from my place

spaltedmadrona.jpg

let me know what you think.

Brian

I love them all. I have never used a Clover, I'm assuming it's for a steel hook? Does it stay "sided" or do they get rounded? I think they are beautiful. I have not used wood hooks before.

I am planning to sell them and will post under the items for sale heading. As I mentioned, none of the pieces has been finished. They will all be sanded and the corners will be softened (don't think it would be too comfortable with sharp edges). They will all be finished with either an oil varnish or lacquer finish.

The handle will take any of the Boye numbered hooks. I have not tried any of the letter hooks so I am not sure at this point just how big a hook it will take. I am willing to put your hook in it as well just understand that the hook will be cut and just the end goes in the handle. I don't see why small wood hooks couldn't be put in as well but I have mounted steel and aluminum hooks in these handles so far.

I will also have handles in tulip wood, cocobolo, diamondwood (that is a manufactured wood like the Sharky hooks), spalted maple and birch, and a variety of other woods as I get the wood together and get time to cut the blanks. If there is a special wood that you have or that you would like I may be able to get it.

I am also working on some needle (sewing) and hook cases and as I get everything worked out on that I will post more of that.

I didn't mention price in this thread because it was not the for sale heading but I am planning to keep these to under $20. :lol I have some ideas for other handles that will definitely cost more :( but they will have a lot more work involved in them. They will still be with the size of numbered hook you want. I am also going to do some experimenting to see what lettered hooks I can put in the handle and Kathy gets to try them out and let me know how they are to use :cheer

I also will have some turned hook cases and of course the handle that will take multiple hooks. :clap

Archived