What Stitch is this? The Mystery of Great-Grandma's Rugs

Hello Again

Question

Having taken up the craft of rag rugs recently (see an example of my work in this thread), I took a hard look at the rugs made by my great-grandma (several are still in use) and realized I have no earthly clue what stitch she made to use them.

What I do know

1. She used a large crochet hook, homemade but the size was somewhere between N and P.

2. The rug looks the same front and back (there is no "right side.")

3. Where SC looks like a "V" on the right side, her rugs' stitches looked more like N on both sides with an upper bar, crossbar and lower bar.

4. An expert has suggested it might be "twisted crochet" but when I read a description for that stitch, it made no sense, it sounded just like how I crochet normally.

5. GreatGrandma was an immigrant from the Belarusse area of Russia. I have no idea if she learned to make rugs before or after immigrating, but I'm throwing this out there just in case.

6. See picture below. I'm sorry its not more of a closeup. :(

click here to see image

16 answers to this question

That is what I was going to say, too. And I am not a rug maker, either. Well technically I have crocheted rugs before, but not in the round.

Tina

This is probably a really stupid suggestion, but I guess I'm going to throw it out there anyway. :blush I'm not good at identifying stitches by looking at them (and I can't see them all that well in the picture anyway), so please bear that in mind. Is it possible that it is just sc but turned after each round so that both sides look the same? I've never made anything in the round this way myself, but I would swear that I've seen patterns that called for it. It was just my first thought when I read that it was the same on both sides.

huh. That is an interesting thought. Because I noticed that each "circle" is *exactly* one row. Not a row and a bit, not 3/4 of a row.

It seems like a strange thing to do though, turn the work. I'm having a hard time envisioning how the work would proceed.

I almost always make circular or oval shaped things this way. I rarely work "in the round" because I don't like the way it lays, and there's a wrong side to it. By turning each row, you have two sides that look good (at least to me). Here's how I would do a rug like this one: Start out with a chain of 20 (more or less, depending on the size you want), 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in ea ch, 3 sc in last ch, then continue around, working in bottom lps of beginning ch, sc across, join with sl st in 1st sc, ch 1, turn. Second round, sc in ea sc to end, 2 sc in ea of next 3 sc, sc in ea sc to next end, 2 sc in ea of last 3 sc, join with sl st, ch 1, turn. Third round: (Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc) 3 times, sc in ea sc to end, (sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc) 3 times, sc in ea sc to end, join with sl st in 1st sc, ch 1, turn. Rep. until size desired. You'll need to increase evenly on both ends of every round, to keep it flat. Whenever I make little purses, I make the bottom this way, then after a few rounds, I quit increasing on the ends, and just sc in ea sc, and the sides will start going straight up. End off when your purse is the size you want. Hope this helps solve the mystery. I can't be positive because your picture isn't real clear, but I'd bet my crochet hook this is how it was made. :hook If you try this method, I think you'll like the results. :hug

p.s. I just looked at your pic again, and tried zooming in on it, and I see that it was made by going in back lps only. That's what makes the little ridge.

This is probably a really stupid suggestion, but I guess I'm going to throw it out there anyway. :blush I'm not good at identifying stitches by looking at them (and I can't see them all that well in the picture anyway), so please bear that in mind. Is it possible that it is just sc but turned after each round so that both sides look the same? I've never made anything in the round this way myself, but I would swear that I've seen patterns that called for it. It was just my first thought when I read that it was the same on both sides.

it definately looks like SC to me..

all the years wear on it may have altered the way it looks now.. so it could very well be sc.. my sc stuff looks EXACTLY like that ..

My first thought was that I was looking at the results of compaction. BUT This rug has not NOT been in use. It was in a closet since it was made circa 1982. My Grandma gave it to my mom over thanksgiving, when these pictures were taken.

threeolivmartini do you have a picture of one of your rugs for comparison? I am intruiged.

Also she may have done a dc in between and that could give the V look. Goodluck.

I'm sorry, you misunderstood me - it DOESN"T have the V shape of SC in the round, and the back doesn't look woven. I am quite familiar with SC in the round, as I make rugs this way myself.

That's why I'm pretty sure it isn't SC. Or at least not done traditionally. What stitches are the same front & back?

I'm also about 90% certain it is not braided with thread. I examined it fairly closely over Thanksgiving. My mom and grandma both remember GGrandma working on these rugs with strips of cloth and a crochet hook (my grandma has the crochet hook somewhere). In the last few years of her life, GGrandma was confined to a wheelchair so she made rag rugs like mad! My grandma had stacks of them in her closets! This particular one has not seen any use until quite recently.

I do want a better photo -- my mom took these and she is "less than expert."

:think It does look like SC, at least in the centre. Maybe it looks different because of all the colour changes.

:think Crochet in the round usually looks very different on the back side. Can you compare it to the pretty blue background of this forum. This is SC done in rows.

:think Just another idea. In the old days, some of these rugs were plaited then stitched together with a strong thread. This could make them look the same on both sides.

:think Can you carefully stretch the stitches apart to see right into the workings of the stitch? Or maybe get a magnifying glass to see the stitches clearly.

:cheer The main thing though, is to enjoy having this wonderful piece of art, made so long ago but your Great Grandmother.

Treat it kindly but use it because it has stood up to the wear and tear this long.

:cheer Mind you, your Great Grandmother may not be so far back as mine.

Possibly about the 1840s.

Enjoy.

Colleen:hug

It could be because she has done her stitches in between the previous stitches that makes it look this way. Its a bit hard to see the photo close enough. Do you think you could get a closer photo of the front and the back. If i am unsure sometimes i feel the stitches to help get an idea with a rag rug it should be easier as you can put your finger under a stitch to get a closer look. I know that sounds silly but ....Also she may have done a dc in between and that could give the V look. Goodluck.

It looks the same as the front side. It's definitely not SC, or at least not the way I do it! I SC rugs and it has a "V" appearance on the front side and a woven appearance on the backside. (look at my rug in the link -- that was made with all SC, it looks pretty different)

My GGrandma emigrated around 1908. She also did fabulous crewel embroidery.

Not that it means anything, but my grandparents emigrated to South Dakota from German Occupied Russia. Grandma visited us in California every winter (loved us so much, or just wanted to escape the bitter winters) and each winter she crocheted rag rugs.

That certainly looks like plain old single crochet to me. Do you have a photo of the other side to compare?

Archived