From a Newbie (About hook size)

MarriedtoaTrucker

Question

I feel kind of goofy posting this, since so many people have so many questions here that seem so far above what I'm doing :blush But you gotta start somewhere!

I just learned to crochet, literally yesterday :) Since I'm teaching myself I am relying on the things I learn on the net...so It's easier said then done sometimes ;)

My question is what is the easiest size of yarn and hook to work with? I have a HUGE hook and huge yarn that I'm loving (An L hook and some rather large yarn) but I'm having problems finding the large yarn! Then, I have lots of small yarn (from other projects we've done in the past) and a smaller hook, but that just seems so difficult!

Thank you for weighing in on this :)

14 answers to this question

When I taught my sister how to crochet, I started her with regular old Red Heart Worsted Weight. (The kind you can buy almost anywhere.) She wanted to start with "prettier" yarn, but there are two problems with that: 1.) most of the pretty stuff is hard for beginners to work with, and 2.) pretty yarn is not so practical for practicing. When you're practicing, you've got to keep ripping out stitches, and that takes a toll on the yarn. Some less sturdy yarns will begin to split, which can be nightmarish for a beginner. Red Heart WW seemed to hold up very well under this abuse, so I recommend starting with that or another simple yarn of the same "sturdiness." (Like Walmart Mainstays.)

I think she started learning with the J or K hook first.

It's a good question, really. I started with the Caron One-Pound skeins and found them (and still do find them) easy to work with. I did start with larger hooks than recommended. The recommended hook size is printed on the label. To keep the foundation chain from being so much tighter than the other rows, some people use a larger hook for the foundation chain. It might take a bit of experimenting to see what feels comfortable and easy to manage. Also, the kind of hook might make a difference to you: inline (Susan Bates) or not inline (Boye, etc.). Hope this is of some help. Welcome to C'ville!

That is NOT a bad question at all... hook size is very important to making crochet enjoyable. If you're struggling with the hook and yarn there is a definite temptation to toss it aside:bang in frustration. I prefer larger hooks because I like the satisfaction of progress!!!:applause ... I'm very partial to my J and K hooks! Also ~ I don't know why ~ but that little disclaimer about the 'stitch gauge' and using 'hook needed to get the proper gauge', it seems I always need to go up a hook size or two... perhaps I'm a white knuckle crocheter :shrug .

Happy Hooking:neener

Yikes! To me, J, K, and L are small... I don't consider it large until I get up to N and P. I've been making bags with an M hook. If I don't felt them, I line them. And... I am just using regular worsted weight wool.

For a new crocheter, I would suggest starting with a scarf or a bag, where exact size is not critical. I've finished scarves, using an N hook, in 1 1/2 hrs. Now, if you 're new to it, it will take a bit longer but at least you actually get to finish something in a reasonable length of time. When I am working with a new yarn, I often make a glass case first. It goes fast, doesn't require a lot of yarn, and you get a finished product quickly.

Hang in there... ask lots of questions... we were all new once.

Joan

It doesn't matter which way you go, I think. I usually go widthwise so I have an easier time deciding when to stop. If you go lengthwise, then you've got to make sure the length of the foundation chain is the exact length that you want, because once you get started, you can't really change the length unless you rip it all out.

I'm hoping to make a scarf first actually :lol Pretty boring! Eventually I really want to make a blanket of some sort, but I know that's a ways down the line! :lol:

Ok, next question! When you're making a scarf, do you do the length rows? or the width rows?? (As far as a foundation chain?)

I LOVE making scarves!!! They are FUN:dance and quick and you can learn lots of new stitches in a nice controlled setting. I generally do my foundation chain by width, and then I go along until it hitst he length I want, I run out of yarn, or decide it's time to start another project:woo

And don't fear the afghan!:2nono My first crochet project (the one I taught myself on) was a shell afghan with a pretty decent sized hook!

When I'm teaching - I usually start folks out with an H or I hook, and regular, lighter colored, non-varigated worsted weight. The Red Heart and Wal-Mart Mainstays are pretty durable for all the Froging mentioned above. The lighter, plain colors are easier to use to see your stitches so you can see how evenly you are making them.

As far as larger yarn - how about using two strands? Sometimes I will pair up a regular worsted weight yarn with a thin, fancy yarn for a great look. But that's probably for you to wait to start until next week :)

The first thing I Crocheted about 30 years ago was a granny square afghan. It was easy to put down and then pick up again. Also I learned how to end off one color and start another. They have several stitches involved but its easy to see mistakes and correct them. It's also good to use up a stash. Just an idea Married to a Trucker good luck!

There is a great website that shows how to crochet. It is www.stitchguide.com it even has a little video of how to do the stitch.. As for yarn or hook to use.. A good 4ply yarn like Red Heart or Caron yarn ( don't use a very dark color because it can be harder to see the stitches) and a G or H hook which are commonly used crochet hooks. Also at Michaels they have a kit which has a book to teach crocheting which some easy projects and it comes with the connonly used crochet hooks, I think about 5 of them. If you have a Michaels near you and a 40% off coupon it would be a very good investment for learning.

Good luck and hang in there it will be worth learning to crochet.

:manyheart

Stitchguide has moved. It is now at Annie's Attic.

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S

I have found the students I have taught so far preferred to work with the larger hooks, N to P. They also liked the chunky yarn. I find Chunky USA by Lion Brand to work really well. Unfortunately, LB has discontinued it. Makes me very sad. You might be able to find it on Ebay or some other place online.

Bernat Softee Chunky yarn is similar in weight and not too fancy to give a beginner trouble. Patons Shetland Chunky (contains wool), Plymouth Encore Chunky also look to be similar, though I've not used them personally. I have used the Super Bulky Bohemian which is super soft. A little on the expensive side. Red Heart Grande is also super bulky, but it takes no time to complete an item. :-) Need at least a P hook for that one.

You can find these at http://www.herrschners.com/ and other places I'm sure.

However, there are other chunky yarns. Try Herrschners.com

Archived