Pretty ladies hats charity?

yarncat

I am rotating my hat stock and have some leftover from last year.I refuse to sell them below a certain price and wish to donate them to charity.

flapperrosehat1.jpg

The hats I have are made in the style of the pic,but in a V-st,so they are more "holey" than the pic.They are mainly made from RedHeart Supersaver.

If anyone knows of an online charity I can mail these to,please let me know.

Try this link from another thread. Looks like a wonderful cause all started with one family who cares. I'm gonna send my first group of hats from Hat a Week to them soon.

A good place to send hats

By the way, nice work:hook

The only problem I see would be "warm" hats.The hats I hav are more of a 50-60 degree hat.

Oh, that hat is so pretty! Thats so nice to donate it! You could check locally too....I know our local Food Panty gives out warm hats and mittens ect, to those in need. Maybe your dos something like that? Would save you postage....

I'm on the road 24/7 and don't have anything "local".I have no problem with postage.

The only problem I see would be "warm" hats.The hats I hav are more of a 50-60 degree hat.

Possibly true, though I made one a while back that was just reg. weight worsted which is what yours look to be and double crochets, so it was fairly open, quite stretching and even with the holes was actually pretty warm. I tested it one day on a walk. Plus, I guess I would think any hat is bound to be warmer than non for someone without. Hats hold like 50% of ones body temperature in, I think thats what I remember. Gonna address my pouch today and hope to mail on my way to work.

How about your local nursing home? Call and talk to someone there. With Valentine's Day around the corner and even if it wasn't I'm sure the ladies there would love to receive them. So many are forgotten.

Marlene

Possibly true, though I made one a while back that was just reg. weight worsted which is what yours look to be and double crochets, so it was fairly open, quite stretching and even with the holes was actually pretty warm. I tested it one day on a walk. Plus, I guess I would think any hat is bound to be warmer than non for someone without. Hats hold like 50% of ones body temperature in, I think thats what I remember. Gonna address my pouch today and hope to mail on my way to work.

That's true.Hat is better than no hat.I'll mail off a pouch.Thanks!!

How about your local nursing home? Call and talk to someone there. With Valentine's Day around the corner and even if it wasn't I'm sure the ladies there would love to receive them. So many are forgotten.

Marlene

I don't have "local" anything,as I am on the road and live out of a truck.But,thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have "local" anything,as I am on the road and live out of a truck.But,thanks for the suggestion.

Nursing homes do sadly have people who are forgotten, but a hat meant to be worn outdoors probably wouldn't get much use in a nursing home.

Though lap throws and shawls I understand are truly needed and appreciated. I've added that to my list, but my list keeps growing instead of getting shorter.:eek

not true. Even people in the homes get to go out to the doctor and shopping on other planned outings I found when being taken out and they do not have a hat they get a towl over their head. so depending on the home there is a need

not true. Even people in the homes get to go out to the doctor and shopping on other planned outings I found when being taken out and they do not have a hat they get a towl over their head. so depending on the home there is a need

Wow, thats certainly not been my experience. Perhaps the area of the country is a factor? I've found that unless family take people out they do not go. They are there. I say that after being in the medical field for 20+ years.

Sadly, in my experience the doctors come to them, and a nursing home doesn't schedule outings. A senior assistated living center does some. Generally speaking though those are geared to the more wealthy where wearing a donated hat ...wouldn't happen. I truly don't mean that to sound snobby, ladies but just not what I've seen or experienced.

Phone calls to your local nursing home is probably the only way to know.

I sent an email off yesterday to HomeFront Christian Outreach with a pic,asking if my hats were needed.I got this response.

"We take all hats, new and used. We appreciate all we get and we know all the people we give them to either in need or homeless appreciate them. I won't be available to check email until tonight but here is our address for shipping: (we can provide you a tax receipt for your donation)

HomeFront Christian Outreach

228 Election Road

Oxford, PA 19363

484-368-1812

God Bless,

Mandy Wyatt "

WooHoo!

Thanks to all for your help.

EXCELLENT yarncat. I now have the address, you've saved me looking it up. Nice to to get such speedy reply from her and know your goods are both needed and wanted. :clap Thanks for posting

I sent an email off yesterday to HomeFront Christian Outreach with a pic,asking if my hats were needed.I got this response.

"We take all hats, new and used. We appreciate all we get and we know all the people we give them to either in need or homeless appreciate them. I won't be available to check email until tonight but here is our address for shipping: (we can provide you a tax receipt for your donation)

HomeFront Christian Outreach

228 Election Road

Oxford, PA 19363

484-368-1812

God Bless,

Mandy Wyatt "

WooHoo!

Thanks to all for your help.

EXCELLENT yarncat. I now have the address, you've saved me looking it up. Nice to to get such speedy reply from her and know your goods are both needed and wanted. :clap Thanks for posting

You're welcome!I just mailed off 4 Flapper Hats and 2 thick 2-strand hats I found in the back of a cabinet(don't know when I made those:lol ).

On the topic of nursing homes, my dad is in one and he always, always has a hat on his head. It's a baseball cap he wears, but still a hat. To tell you the truth, I haven't noticed if any of the other folks were wearing hats, but next time I go I am certainly going to. :-)

As to their getting out, with Dad he is taken to the emergency room by ambulance when there is a problem. He is heavy and dead weight having been in a wheelchair for years, so none of us can handle him. To get him in and out of a car requires several people. The ambulance won't bring him back once treated, unless bedridden, so the hospital personnel and then the nursing home personnel have to put him in and out of the vehicle.

As to leaving the home for outings, not any more. We used to do this, taking him out (he has Alzheimers) occasionally, but now there are too many problems, physical, mental and emotional. We are blessed that the nursing home people are great. We held an anniversary party in one of their rooms for my parents. Had about thirty people or so I guess that came. It was really nice.

So yes, there are some there who don't get to go out due to their limitations, but they may still like to have a hat -- they get cold easily. And those that can go out would certainly like to have one. And those that have few visitors would like to know someone is thinking of them.

Small items are appreciated since they don't have much room for storage.

Hope that helps someone.

Great info Sandie, it's good to have multipe experiences to give us a more complete picture. Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear your dad has such a time of it. Will keep you both in my thoughts.

You know the talk about nursing homes got me to thinking that it would be a great charity project cause alot of those people don't have anyone to give them something or care about them. It would be nice to know you made even one person smile!:manyheart

Archived