Battlestar Galactica

not so much cause i was going to post the exact same thing! :lol my hubby watches it faithfully...and when i'm home so do i

I'm pretty sure it takes place in the past because they haven't even found the mythical "earth" yet.

:eek Oh lawdy, how much of a geek am I? :eek

I'm pretty sure it takes place in the past because they haven't even found the mythical "earth" yet.

:eek Oh lawdy, how much of a geek am I? :eek

Ok, my DH watches this show religiously and when I asked him about what time this takes place in he said it's neither past nor future.

Supposidly this show is set in the present time. The "mythical earth" they are searching for is us. I guess at the beginning of time 1/2 of the people are us on earth, the other 1/2 are the people on this imaginary planet and are trying to reunite with us presently...

(This is one show I loved originally but don't like the new version of and now I know why! Way too confusing! :think)

I noticed Pya's yellow blankie last night as well! I didn't notice Chevonne's dress, though.

As for the 'mythical earth,' everyone started in a galaxy different from ours where there were 12 inhabitable planets before the Cylons attacked. Everyone in the fleet came from one of these 12 colonies.

Okay....I think I just out-geeked all who've posted so far...:lol My hubby and I TiVo this show and watch it every week!! Of course, we can fast forward through the commercials and rewind if we missed something crucial...

Last night a little girl was holding a yellow crocheted blanket. Got to see it several times.

At one point her mom had a black lace dress on that looked like it could be crocheted, too.

It repeats Monday at 11:00 pm if anyone wants to see it. I'll try to remember and get a screenshot.

My husband and I watch that show too every Friday night. We watch sci fi that night from 7 pm to 11 pm. The Yellow blanket Paya-- the litttle girl is holding is done from the Box--crazy stitch. There is another name for it as well can't remember that name right now but that stitch has has 3 names. for some reason in crochet history somewhere on the net I read somewhere it changed over the years..but I don't remember why. I have done many blankets using that stitch, and I love the stitch its very pretty and very easy to do once you learn it.

Will post a picture tommorrow to tired to find it and do the photo bucket thing... night.

We TiVo SciFi for three shows--Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica. The rest we can leave.

Recording the shows allows us to watch them on our time.

Empress, glad to know I'm not the only super-geek out here!! :lol As for Firefly, we have the complete series on DVD and are trying to find Serenity. Our Sam's had it around Christmas, but they don't have it anymore. :(

Last night a little girl was holding a yellow crocheted blanket. Got to see it several times.

At one point her mom had a black lace dress on that looked like it could be crocheted, too.

It repeats Monday at 11:00 pm if anyone wants to see it. I'll try to remember and get a screenshot.

CRAZY STITCH,,BOX STITCH

Paya yellow baby blanket on Battlestar Galactica

Here is the 2 samples I have gotten in my email rooms. there are more just haven't found the pictures yet. As I find pictures that I have done in the past been crocheting a long time. I didn't make a book of pictures just for crochet. But when we get moved I plan on doing a crochet album when I get the time.. for now here are 2 that I have done within the last 2 years.

th_cribsizebabyafghanpurpleyellow.jpg th_BlueYellowafghancloseupof4sections.jpg

The 1st picture ,,,purple one is done with multicolor yarn. I really had a hard time finishing it up didn't like the colors at all and had a real hard time finding a right shade of purple for the border. Red Heart didn't have the right shade of blue or aqua for the border either. I did call them and ask to speak to the manager type of worker. said if your going to make varigated yarns make the colors in solid colors so we may want to use for the borders or to use along with the yarns. anyways I went with this darker purple its the only purple that looked ok with it. Hobby Lobby camera must have thought I was a crazy perosn I was there for over 45 minutes in the yarn isle with this baby afghan crib size trying to make up my mind with the purple. I spread out the blanket lay a purple on it and then step back away from it. Everything was just wrong. I spent weeks on e-bay looking for colors in the past --old catolgs color charts that red heart used to make. It had to be red heart. I like staying with the name brand tho out the whole projects if I can. I told my husband I made this to sell and no one would want this its awful but since I came this far might as well finish it.....down the road I was almost done with it and my daughter brought home some of her friends popping in to change clothes and going out again... any anyways this one girl was just found out that shes pregnate she about 4 or 5 months at the time,, she ask what I was making and she just ohhh and ahhhed it... I really thought she was being nice. If you all know what I mean.. any wyas when our daughter got home she said that her friened could not get that blanket out of her mind.... Somewhere down the road later......our daughter ask if we still had that baby blanket I told her yes, no one is going to buy that its awful...just holding on it it in case someone request something in purples and blues. That would work out nice...anyway,,,She had seen her friend and shes been asking our daughter about that blanket everytime they see each other,,and ask if we had sold it etc.....she could not get that baby blanket off her mind our daughter said she goes on and on about how pretty the blanket is ,,so I told our daughter we will give it to her but don't tell her. A few days after she had her baby we took her her gift and she was sooooo surprised, Her eyes got so big! The baby name is Liberty she is 2 years old about now and her mom and baby still uses the blanket! It goes pretty much everywhere they go car, house etc.

So don't be sad if something you made looks terrible in colors or not happy with the way it turns hang on to it for craft shows etc,,,, someone is bound to fall in love with it.

The blue one is a afghan in squares style for our daughter and her boyfriend his favorite colors are blue & yellow. He loves it.

The one you saw Paya had is done in yellow and probalby done all in 1 peice. since we didn't see the blanket open. so not sure but it did looks to be done in 1 peice.

I just watched it again, well I had it on. LOL

I was pretty sure it wasn't the box stitch but wasn't sure so I watched and took a screen shot. I can see where you'd think it was. Maybe it is, but I pesonally don't think so.

I couldn't get a good shot of Shevon's dress.

yellowblanket.jpg

Hey thanks for posting that of Paya yellow blanket. Now that its a closer shot and not moving like on tv I can see it better. Its the loopy shell stitch. Made about 4 of those in baby blankets but the pictures are not developed yet. Since we got a computer camera 3 years ago I am way behind on getting our film developed. Its real easy to do. someone has this pattern on the net thats where I got it about 2 or 3 years ago. Easy and fast and love it!

Yup, that's what it is. Only thing is I think, and again I could be wrong, they used a triple crochet instead of double on the shells. Hard to tell in the picture but that was my first thought when I watched last Friday. And made with a chunky yarn.

I'm tempted to make one now in chunky for a throw on my sofa. LOL

http://web.archive.org/web/20040222042704/http://www.crochetpartners.com/Patterns/CPpat9.html

Oh, this just cracked me up when I saw someone had posted about this. We watch this show religiously, and my husband and son busted up laughing when I piped up "crochet alert!" as soon as I saw the blanket. :lol I see crochet all over the place now, would never have noticed it before.

This is one of my favorite shows, btw. We have the DVDs of the mini series and the first season, and will get the DVDs of this season as soon as they're available. We also love the new Doctor Who, and are thrilled that the SF channel is going to be playing that on Fridays starting in March, I believe. We loved the old shows, and were so happy that they brought the Doctor back! I can still remember when Harlan Ellison said that Doctor Who was the best SF on television. It helps if you can relax and enjoy the cheese factor, because it's part of the charm. ;)

Lene'

Just last week in the "What TV Shows Do You Watch?" thread, I noted that I watched BSG and that it's the one show I watch where I will never, ever see crochet. Heh. Well, BSG and Mythbusters. But you never know; that hot chick on Mythbusters wears some awfully cute clothes.

Re BSG: It's too bad that it happened in the crummiest worst-paced episode this season. And that's not just my opinion. Ron Moore, the creator and executive producer, spent his entire hour-long podcast going on and on about how much he hated the episode, and completely dissected, scene by scene, everything that he thought really stank about the episode. (Except the crochet; he didn't mention the blanket as being a real disappointment and a bad idea.) At least he took full responsibility for it and didn't blame the writers, actors, directors, etc.

So, I think at the point that I mention listening to the podcast, I outgeek -- or at least match-geek -- nearly everyone. :D

Elissa

Heh, I'm easy enough to out-geek, as my techie skills are weak. I have age goin' for me, since it means I've been "doing" SF for around 40 years now, but when it comes to the hardware, I'm lousy. :lol Hey, do I get any cred if I tell you that the first computer Jeff and I had was a Sinclair, and we had to type the programs in symbol by symbol? Old mags used to print programs, and you would spend hours typing the blasted things in to get a program that did something simple, like play "pong" style games. Heaven help ya if the magazine had a typo, or you fat-fingered it when you typed it in. We used audio tapes to store data, and boy, we felt really cutting edge when they came out with the big old floppies. :D Sad to say, my skills haven't progressed at the speed of the technology... but Jeff and Danny put up with me, anyway.

I do still have copies of the original (unauthorized) US paperback editions of the Tolkien trilogy, though, and I have a couple autographed record albums of H. Ellison reading his own work. And we have a (much-played-with) set of the original Star Wars action figures, and an old Star Wars heavy cardboard "Pat the Bunny" style toddler book. Ain't geeky in the tech sense, but these are signs of a different kind of geekitude.

Does it amuse anyone else here that we're all so eager to adopt the mantle of geekdom *now?* I'd never have turned my back on SF, but I sure wouldn't have thought the title of "geek" was something to be proud of, back when I was young. Life's damned ironic, isn't it?

Lene'

Re. announcing geekdom later in life. I learned early on in my life that my personality and not-standard-issue looks made me attractive to a specific subset of high school and college guys; I got named 'Queen of the Geeks' at a fairly young age. For the longest time, all the guys I dated had at least one of these things in common: SF, RPGs, SCA, comic books, and some other thing I've now forgotten but fell into the general category of "too smart for your own good, not great at sports, and in need of escapism." (I read a lot of SF but never got into the other stuff; it was just a source of potential dates who were really happy to meet a girl.)

When I was doing a lot of parallel "stunt" dating (multiple boyfriends -- hey, I was the Queen!), I used to worry that all the guys I was seeing would meet each other, kill me, and then kill each other. Then I thought about it some more and realized that they'd all meet each other, go off to have a couple of pitchers, start up their own game of D&D, and forget about me entirely. The latter actually happened, and the game went on for years after I graduated and left Austin (great college town, bad place to find an actual job back in the pre-tech-revolution 1980s.)

There's a picture from my wedding of seven guys I used to date who became good friends holding up their drinks and toasting "Elissa's nightmare." That, and the lovely posed family photo where I'm surreptitiously holding a phaser from Star Trek peeks out of my bouquet, is one of my favorite wedding photos. (If my mom ever notices the phaser, she'll kill me. Eleven years later, she hasn't yet.)

My point is not that I was kind of a ho, which is what this sounds like, but that I gave up trying to be accepted by the standard-issue people fairly early, found the population where I fit in the best, and flat-out gave up trying to *not* be a "geek." The geeks never stuck my head out of the schoolbus and closed the window, that's for sure. (And a variety of other indignities visited on small, smart kids with glasses and frizzy hair. As god as my witness, my curly-headed daughter will never want for hair products a day in her life!)

And to make this crochet-relevant: Uh...uh...crochet! Crochet! Crochet!

Elissa, Southwest Region Queen of the Geeks

Archived