If you live in Florida, please read!

donnalynn2

Well, hey, since there is some interest in this again...

Donnalyn, I helped arrange a meetup from members from around the country on another board I'm on. We stayed at a very nicely priced hotel on the beach in St. Pete Beach (Clearwater area). We got a discount for being a group.

If ya'll want to do this, I'm sure I could contact them again and try to arrange for a similar discount.

Remember that June is the off-season for them (that's when we had our meetup), so they really like having groups fill up their rooms!

Hey..I never saw this post until today..dang it!! Please let us know if this idea is still on!! I'd love to meet you guys as well. Sorry I hadn't posted in a long time. I live about 15 minutes from Clearwater now, but getting ready to move again to Pasco County (hopefully, at the end of March). Then it will be a 1/2 hour drive, lol!

As far as yarn shops...hmmm...there is the cookie cutter craft stores, JoAnns (Etc. store in Citrus Park, awesome selection of yarns), Michaels (fairly new one in Clearwater, it's pretty nice), no Hobby Lobbys (yet, in the works as of last year, lol), no AC Moores (the nearest one is in Orlando). There is one LYS store in Tampa, called Knit N' Knibble on Dale Mabry, hadn't stopped in yet, but I am sure this place appeals to those looking for higher end yarn. There may be other LYS or needlecraft stores in adjacent areas, but I haven't investigated. Thank goodness for the internet sometimes, as I have been ordering higher end stuff instead of searching it down.

Yes..June is definitely off season! I think right now is peak season, as everywhere it's busy. Hotels are probably cheaper and the weather is ok...as I recall last year that's when the storms kicked up in the afternoons.

Area attractions...I think there is an aquarium in Clearwater, I know there is one in Tampa. MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry), Pioneer Village (totally want to go there), shows at Ruth Eckerd Hall, the beach, Baywalk and the Pier in St. Petersburg, if I think of anything else..or anyone can add to this list..lol!

Please keep us updated if this idea goes about, I think it's a great idea! I would go anywhere in Florida, just to get away, lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a yellowpages.com listing of several yarn, or knitting, related stores that are not Michael's or JoAnn's:

Dunedin Needlepoint & Knit Shop

447 Main St

Dunedin, FL 34698

(727) 736-5392

Stitchworm

5277 Park St N

Saint Petersburg, FL

(727) 541-6671

Uncommon Threads

(727) 784-6778

Flying Needles Inc The

2933 W Bay Dr, Largo

Belleair Bluffs, FL

(727) 581-8691

Prism

2595 30th Ave N

Saint Petersburg, FL 33713

(727) 327-3100

I can't vouch for these, personally, but if anyone wanted to take it upon themselves to call, then they're more than welcome.

Here is a yellowpages.com listing of several yarn, or knitting, related stores that are not Michael's or JoAnn's:

Dunedin Needlepoint & Knit Shop

447 Main St

Dunedin, FL 34698

(727) 736-5392

Stitchworm

5277 Park St N

Saint Petersburg, FL

(727) 541-6671

Uncommon Threads

(727) 784-6778

Flying Needles Inc The

2933 W Bay Dr, Largo

Belleair Bluffs, FL

(727) 581-8691

Prism

2595 30th Ave N

Saint Petersburg, FL 33713

(727) 327-3100

I can't vouch for these, personally, but if anyone wanted to take it upon themselves to call, then they're more than welcome.

Uncommon Threads is a snooty knitting shop. I was in there and so was another member. The owner has a problem selling her yarn to Crocheters. Her prices are kind of high also. I wish it was different, as I live up the street from this store.

I am still looking for the Flying Needles in Dunedin. Can't vouch for any of the others.:hook

• 1 month later...

I've only been to Flying Needles once, and that's the only store I've visited. I was just starting my crochet foray when I visited, so I didn't know what I was really looking for. I know one of the people who worked there both knit and crochet, so that's something. This was, of course, almost 4 years ago.

Also!!! For anyone in the Clearwater area, or Pinellas County in general, the JoAnn's store in Tri-City (US19 and East Bay) is closing at the end of this month. Currently they have a great sale on their yarn. If you buy one skein of yarn you get the next for 50% off. If you buy 10 skeins of yarn you get 60% off the total cost of yarn. If you buy 15 or more you get 70%.

I went in Monday and bought $115 worth of yarn for $34 dollars. It's completely worth going and having a look.

How many of us are in the Clearwater/Largo area? It may be neat to get together and crochet once or twice a month if anyone is interested. I'll only be in the area for a couple of more months as I'm moving up north, but I would love to get to know a few of you before then.

When is the "end of the month" exactly? I'll be in northern Pinellas on the 28th or 29th and would love to get to this sale if it's not over!

(and do you have the exact address?)

Thanks! :)

Wow, thanks for the tip about the store closing..there is a JoAnns way up here off the 19 (in Hudson/NPR) but I do not think this is the one that is closing. :shrug What kind of yarns do they have (left)?

I think it would be great too if we could form a group get-together!! Where would be a good place to meet though? I'd say Borders in Clearwater..but they do not have the best seating areas like B&N usually does, or if they have any seating area at all (just the cafe). There is also the usual suspects like Starbucks, Panera, and Moes. :lol Any other suggestions? It's great to see there are many here in the same area!!

-Amy :)

Donna, getting together in Florida sounds great but the Clearwater area is 340 miles (5 1/2 hours, I live in the Keys) away from me. The DH supports my crafting/hobbies but would not want to partake in any of it. Girls get together sounds great. If any chance you change it to near the Miami area (I don't drive) I'm there (DH would drop me off).

Donna H.

It's now up to 60% off if you buy one skein, 70% if you buy 10-14, and 80% if you buy 15 or more. That's practically FREE right there.

They only have 5 DAYS LEFT, 4 after today. If you can make it before the end of the week, here is the location. When you're driving South on US-19, it'll be on your right. You want to get off at the East Bay Dr exit and it's in the Tri-City plaza on the right.

Also, they have a lot of wool and wool blends, chenilles, cottons and novelty yarn.

Donna, getting together in Florida sounds great but the Clearwater area is 340 miles (5 1/2 hours, I live in the Keys) away from me. The DH supports my crafting/hobbies but would not want to partake in any of it. Girls get together sounds great. If any chance you change it to near the Miami area (I don't drive) I'm there (DH would drop me off).

Donna H.

I live 340 miles the other way, in the Panhandle. Florida is just such a long state that it would be almost impossible to find a spot that would be good for everyone. If you ladies do get together, have fun and take lots of pics.

:jumpyay:ty:ty:ty:wooThank you so much Brianna!! I went to the JoAnns today that was closing there on the 19 (an hour drive there and a hour drive back). But, it was so worth it!! I got such a deal! I guess there is plus to living in Florida, because a lot of people pass up the yarn here. For being 4 days left of the sale, I was surprised at the amount of yarn that was left!! I didn't find any cotton (ww, but the rest of the Senso wool/cotton blend), but got a bunch of wool and ticker tape.

I will take a pic of the 'haul', even got some fabric, but that was pretty slim pickin's, lol! Also some knitting needles (but not one crochet hook left, hmm).

Thank you again..hope the rest of you guys get down there!

-Amy

ps: Mimi..found any cotton?

Not much left now, but everything that's there is 90% off (yarn is $.25 a skein; only fun fur and the like left). I don't have much time now before I have to go to Michael's for the Class Preview, so I'll come back to this later. Just wanted to let you all know that things are going fast, so if you want to go, today's the day.

Thanks Mimi, I was thinking of going back today..but it's just too far and I'm done with morning errands. Did you get anything good?? The ladies in there were very nice and informative. It is sort of sad that they are closing..but there are a few more JoAnn stores in the general area (there is one about 10 minutes from me).

Have fun at Michaels!! Hope you find what you are looking for! :yarn:D

I'm back. :)

I got a bunch of stuff - about $110 worth of stuff for $11. :bounce

joann_sale_yarn.jpg

27 skeins (it honestly didn't look like that much when I bought it!) of fancy yarn @ $0.25 each (saw it at Michael's later for $5 each) - there was no other yarn left. Most of it is Fun Fur (3 of each color, except for a few colors). There's also Bernat Boa (2 of each color), and one Patons Cha-Cha.

joann_sale_gencrafts.jpg

$0.20 for each of the pom-pom sets. Ribbon spools (6 & 8 yds) @ $0.08 each (that's a cent per yard)! $0.14 for the plastic yarn needles. $0.13 for each of the gel pens. The plastic grass was $0.15 for all 4 bags. I think the most expensive thing was the fabric strips - $1.20 for both. :lol

I'm not at all sure what I'm going to do with all this, but I'm certainly excited! :D

Thanks brianna! :nworthy:manyheart

Wow!! I meant to reply to this a few days ago..sorry about that!

For it being the last day, I am surprised to see they had a bit of yarn left! I think you got an awesome deal..I didn't see the fabric tape/yarn, lol! :clap:yay

Thank you so much for sharing..I'll try to post a pic soon too.

Also..is there still talk on meeting up any time soon?

-Amy

Hey now, fellow 'ville neighbors! I may be too far away to participate in an event in Clearwater [Living in Fort Pierce, myself], but all this talk of "Girls only" has gotten me bummed!

I'm a guy! I crochet and knit! Don't exclude me just because of my gender! :)

I spent $100 at the closing Jo-Ann's....Such a deal! I've already finished a shawl for a friend out of yarn purchased at the sale. My man laughed at me when I told him I had to buy another plastic bin to hold more yarn...

And if we ever manage to get together, I'm sure that if we make it a "spouse free" event, that does not mean that male Crochetville members are not welcome as well.

I was thinking that Orlando/Kissimmee might make a better meet up location. For those of us who live in the central third of the state, it's the most central location. It doesn't help those who live in the extreme south or north of FL very much, I'm afraid, but might be more central for the majority of people.

Hi meredionysis and Wendy! Right on, a guy crocheter!! Can't wait to see some of your work! Seems that this meeting up has been on going for quite some time, but so far nothing has materialized? Hopefully we can schedule something before the heat of summer sets in. :D

DH means dear husband! I didn't know for a while either, I think there is a list somewhere on this forum with all the abbreviations that people use in their messages.

What all did you get Wendy at the closing? :hook

Archived