If you live in Florida, please read!

donnalynn2

Hello fellow Floridians! Since we all don't put where we are from in our info pages it's hard to track down everybody. I hope those of you who live here that I've missed will post!

Ok, we are planning a Floridian get-together tentatively scheduled for June of this year. We are thinking maybe the "Clearwater" area as we have members from all over Florida including Southern Fla and the Panhandle and figured this would be the fairest way to do it drive-wise.

All the details are kinda up in the air right now but we need your input to make this happen!

Some of my thoughts on this would be:

A crocheters weekend where we can meet, crochet, go shopping, and have fun little contests!

Please post here and either e-mail or PM me with your e-mail addy so that I can add you to the list for updates. We need everyone's help to make this work! It'll be a great time for all involved!

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know! Thanks everyone!

Hi Donna,

I am going to play devils :devil advocate here. Your idea of getting the Florida crocheters together is a good one.

One of the problems with this is yarns shops. You have Michaels, Joanns and in St. Pete, you have Ben Franklin's. Unless of course you want to spend a lot of money on speciality yarns.

Another problem is where will you hold this. One idea is one of our many parks. Honeymoon Island, Anderson Park, Fort Desoto, or Howard Park just to name a few. I mean it is going to be June and the weather is warm.

Is it just the crocheter that is invited, or does the family come? Especially, if they are coming from a distance. I for one do not travel without the DH, even to the store.

On your shopping expidition, do you go to places like Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks?

I am not trying to squash the idea, just trying to get everyone to look at it from all sides.

Hopefully this will work out, as I know of one crocheter who is just moving to the area and wants to meet more crocheters.

I will keep an eye on this and see how all is going.:hook

Tampa Doll... Great suggestions!!! I don't like traveling without my DH either. I get lost in my own backyard! (I actually got lost driving home from the airport last year even with big bold signs) I would like to try and make this a family event if possible. But on the flip side, my DH wants nothing to do with crochet and will not set foot in a craft store so we'd have to organize something for the "families" to do while us crocheters are shopping, etc.

That's why I am trying to plan ahead as I want everyone's opinions and then we can make decisions from there!

Again, great ideas! Keep em coming!!!

Sounds like fun. I'm not that familiar with Clearwater, I've only been there twice. I'm up to just about anything. I also would have to bring my DH, so side activities would be a wonderful idea. Keep me posted, and if I think of anything I'll let you know.

Tara

Sounds like a grand idea, some of my other Florida Forum Friends and I have met a few times, with great success. I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and my DH would never go with me to a crochet event. He won't even go shopping. So,,,,I would be a single crocheter. Keep me posted on this please. PM me with any new additions to the "pending trip." :clap

A get together sounds great, but I'll probably pass. Clearwater is over 400 miles and while I visit in the Ocala area (my parents live there), I can't see driving all that way and not spending most of my time with them. I have a lot of other trips I have to take this year as well. I have to go to California, Texas, Georgia and south Florida all before my DH comes home in July.

Make sure you take lots of pics to share, and have fun.

Please keep us Floridians posted on this. At this point I can't say whether I'll be able to make it or not. I've got so many trips planned already for this year but would love to join everyone for a weekend get-together. If I am able to make it, DH won't go.....he hates traveling and has been having to do a lot of it recently. He's sending the kids & I to Scotland/Ireland in September but won't go. I've been wanting to go back, so to keep peace, he's sending DD, DS, DS's girlfriend & myself for 2 weeks to see the heather in bloom.

Too early for me to say, but I would love to meet some of the great people in this group. Clearwater is far (heck, Florida is a BIG state) and I often have to travel on business in June. Is there an easy way to find out how many of us are in Florida and where people are from? there may be enough people to have more regional get togethers for those of us who can't get away for the big one.

We really can only know how many people are in Florida one of two ways:

Either they post on this thread and tell us

OR

I literally go through every single user name on Crochetville and look to see what state they put for residence which would take forever and wouldn't be accurate as many people don't put anything in that space

I am very torn as to making this a "family" event or a get together for the girls only.

Again, I don't think I could get my DH to come to something like this, even if we had activites for the families planned. He's NOT a joiner and is very quiet in public and likes to keep to himself. He'd be way too uncomfortable if I threw him in with people he's never met. My dad actually asked me the other day if my DH ever laughs! He's only met my family a total of 4 times and believe it or not, that isn't enough for him to be "him" around them so he still has his guard up... The more I think about it, I just know he won't come along.

I also don't really want to turn this into a "family" event for one reason. MONEY! I mean, I can put together enough for a weekend stay somewhere with some money for shopping, but I can't afford to pay for tickets to a theme park on top of it... I don't know if everyone else could, but I'd like to make this as economical as possible. In the end there is no way to make it perfect for everyone. As someone on this thread said, "Florida is a BIG state" which is true. I would love for everyone to come but I know that isn't possible. So we'll just make it the best get together we can!

Now, in the end if more people want it to be a "family" event then it will be. I'm just organizing this thing, I'm not the ulitmate decider on anything.

Everyone's input is more than appreciated and will be taken into consideration. I don't want to leave anyone out but I know that everyone will not be able to come.

So, as far as "tentative" plans and ideas go, here they are as of right now (they will more than likely be changed at some point so NONE of this is written in stone!)

A GIRLS ONLY event

Clearwater area (mid state, not in a big city)

Weekend stay (Sat night maybe) at a moderatly priced hotel

A shopping trip to buy supplies

A few contests amongst the group

Prizes and a "grab bag" or "gift basket" give away

A time to de-stash! Bring all those unwanted items with you to trade with others

Having a time of fun and fellowship

LOTS of pictures!

Eating meals out together (again, at a moderatly priced place)

(I'm thinking we meet on Saturday afternoon, spend the day together, have breakfast together Sunday morning and say our goodbyes)

Any other suggestions or ideas? Please post away!!!!

Worm, I'm in Miami Beach, where are you?

Donna....I like the idea of 'Girls Only' and the plans you've stated are fine with me. Just a nice, relaxing yet fun weekend where we can spend time together to get to know each other. Going shopping, of course, is a definate. I like Clearwater although it is a drive for me but no biggy. If anyone in the Ft.Lauderdale/Miami area want to drive together, I have a big Escalade that seats 7.....6 comfortably. I have no qualms about driving. But it will all depend on when we have the get-together.

Worm, I'm in Miami Beach, where are you?

Donna....I like the idea of 'Girls Only' and the plans you've stated are fine with me. Just a nice, relaxing yet fun weekend where we can spend time together to get to know each other. Going shopping, of course, is a definate. I like Clearwater although it is a drive for me but no biggy. If anyone in the Ft.Lauderdale/Miami area want to drive together, I have a big Escalade that seats 7.....6 comfortably. I have no qualms about driving. But it will all depend on when we have the get-together.

I live in Plantation, in Ft. Lauderdale, and would like to ride along with you. I can get down to MB. I would help pay for the gas, and it would be great if we could leave early enough that we could have some great time in the afternoon of Saturday. Sounds like funnn!!!:yay :yay

Diamond, what a generous offer! It looks like you will help make this trip happen, especially if you can all ride together! (Now I'm jealous! I don't have anyone to ride with :() Oh well, it'll be so fun to get together and put a face with the names!

• 5 months later...

Nope, this kinda fell through the cracks. There was a bunch of stuff that kind of stopped it from happening.

However, that being said, now that I'm finally moved and settled in my new place I'd like to start planning a Florida retreat again soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm not IN Florida all the time, but I make trips to Tallahassee at least 2x a year (daughter in college there). If a meeting coincided with one of my trips, I'd be glad to meetup too.

I'm hoping to move back to FL in the next 5 to 10 years

Donnalynn, I'll be in Florida from December through April and would love to meet some of the cronies. I hope you get this off the ground. I'm in the Palm Beach Area but will travel!:)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived