when felting goes wrong...

irish_leeny

I love the bag and I think it looks great as it is! I love that shade of green. Did you design it yourself or did you use a pattern?

very cute purse and nice colors .. I like .. i agree with the other ladies .. you need to go back and felt felt felt .. may take a few more washes .. but it will get there .. don't get discouraged .. just wash it again in hot hot water :) ..

I absolutely love your purse, and I like the color combination as well. As for the felting ... toss a glug of vinegar, a tiny bit of oil-based soap, and a pair of blue jeans into your washer, run it through a wash cycle on hot, and that Paton's Classic Merino will felt like a champ. It's my current favorite felting yarn and i've never needed to run it through more than 2 wash cycles to get a good, solid felt result. There will be quite a bit of shrinkage, though, witness this purse also done in Classic Merino (shown next to a Southern Living magazine for scale):

th_FallBagPre-BlockingWithoutStraps2.jpg

th_FeltedFallBag.jpg

:think Are you washing it with something rough like a pot scourer. Dont use anything which will creat fluff, like a towel but something rough might work.

:think Try HOT water too which should shrink it, (unless it is pre-shrunk) then if all else fails, scrub it with a fine wire brush.

:think This will brush it rather than felt it.

:cheer I think it looks great anyway.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

It looks wonderful the way it is if you prefer not to felt it more.

I just had the same experience as dhaunae did, but with Bernat Lana wool. I think I should have made my bag larger...there was more shrinkage than I expected lol! After only ONE hot wash it was very felted... but it's smaller than I want it to be. So like you I am going to do another one. Mine is ok...for wallet, keys & chapstick...but not much else in there. I need more room in my bag than that for my junk! :lol

I'm still pretty new to felting but I've had pretty good results (with one exception). I throw in an old pair of jeans and a tennis ball, some Ivory snow, and the item to be felted in a mesh laundry bag. I set the machine for hot wash/cold rinse and just let the machine do its thing. I don't check it and I let it go right through the spin cycle.

I guess I'm a wash /n wear felter :-)

Joan

I absolutely love your purse, and I like the color combination as well. As for the felting ... toss a glug of vinegar, a tiny bit of oil-based soap, and a pair of blue jeans into your washer, run it through a wash cycle on hot, and that Paton's Classic Merino will felt like a champ. It's my current favorite felting yarn and i've never needed to run it through more than 2 wash cycles to get a good, solid felt result. There will be quite a bit of shrinkage, though, witness this purse also done in Classic Merino (shown next to a Southern Living magazine for scale):

th_FallBagPre-BlockingWithoutStraps2.jpg

th_FeltedFallBag.jpg

OOOOOH, where did you get that pattern?! I love it, and just to let you know, I will be stealing that color scheme! lol

Aw, I'm flattered! I made that purse up as I went along; did an oval base which you can kind of see in the bottom picture (it was folded up in the top pic) and when that was big enough i just started crocheting in the round. The entire purse was done in hdc and the zigzags are just fpdc into the row below. The shape I got purely from blocking; I stuffed the bottom half pretty well into the shape I wanted, and then kinda pinched the top part so it closed at the top and belled out a bit at the sides. I ended up not using the button closure I crocheted (that you can see in the top picture), but instead putting a magnetic closure inside the purse. The only change I'd make is to do the handles longer next time but ... I ran out of the Paprika yarn ;) I've had more fun with felting, I swear. Threeolivemartini says it's like magic, like alchemy, and she's sooo right.

i love the purse, too! it is beautiful and the color combo is great!

i actually washed the purse with a pair of my boyfriend's jeans which he says are too tight on him now because he eats too much mexican food. plus, the washing machine i used ran out of hot water halfway into the cycle (one of the joys of living in the country)...

thanks for all of your help! -colleen

Archived