Is there an instrument for...

chsarrow

Question

When my son was born I received some lightweight blankets. The edges were folded over and crocheting was done all around. Similiar to the ones on this site http://www.angelfire.com/oh/crochethook/patts/baby.html

The question I have is, do I have to poke holes all around the blanket and crochet, or is there something else I could use that would make the holes and not take so long?

9 answers to this question

Check out your local LDS church. We have a town close by here that has ladies that make holes with a machine for people to crochet edgings in. Apparently it is inexpensive and a real time saver.

Actually, you need to purchase a "wing needle" for your sewing machine, get the widest one the store offers that works in your machine. It is a wide needle that slices small holes where it punches in. Then use a steel hook to poke in the started hole. It is not difficult. I have done several things with it. I usually make my blankets double thick though -- flannel on both sides. Then I make burp pads for the shoulders to match.

For more info, you can run a Google search on -- hemstitching. Some companies precut, sew, and punch holes (better than homemade holes) for you. You just add the crocheting. I started that way. Mine came with a pattern and everything. They made some wonderful heirloom gifts. One word of caution...don't just weave in the loose ends. Tie a knot. It goes against everything I know, but these really get washed a lot, and I had one start coming undone :( .

I purchase pre-drilled items from http://www.hemstitcher.com but this can get to be expensive. You have the choice of double or single sided. I have also read where you can use a stiletto to punch the holes. I have also read about the wing needle already mentioned and if I could sew that would be what I would use. :-) It sounds very easy.

It may also depend on the material you are working with.

Archived